• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Dusky Flycatcher??, Kirstenbosch botanical gardens, Cape Town (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
Taken by my partner on her recent 'non-birding' trip to Cape Town - she managed to identify most things with the help of the SASOL pocket guide, but this is puzzling both of us. African Dusky Flycatcher, or something else?

Taken last week (March 2019)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• P1160601 (800x599).jpg
    P1160601 (800x599).jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P1160604 (800x600).jpg
    P1160604 (800x600).jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 7
I think you're right with ADF.

I agree with you Andy.
Apart from range, I think the following helps rule the other Southern African small flycatchers out:
No white visible on the tail (rules out Grey Tit-Flycatcher).
Long dark eye stripe behind the eye reaches the top and back of the ear coverts and eye ring that doesn't bleed onto the lores (rules out Ashy Flycatcher)
Plain crown and short primary projection (rules out Spotted Flycatcher)

I'm not sure how conclusive the individual points are in eliminating the other possibles, but taken together, it looks pretty conclusive to me.

I agree with you Andy.
Apart from range, I think the following helps rule the other Southern African small flycatchers out:
No white visible on the tail (rules out Grey Tit-Flycatcher).
Long dark eye stripe behind the eye reaches the top and back of the ear coverts and eye ring that doesn't bleed onto the lores (rules out Ashy Flycatcher)
Plain crown and short primary projection (rules out Spotted Flycatcher)

I'm not sure how conclusive the individual points are in eliminating the other possibles, but taken together, it looks pretty conclusive to me.

Kirstenbosch is a site for ADF, not sure whet else is in there Flycatcher wise?

Kirstenbosch is a site for ADF, not sure whet else is in there Flycatcher wise?

Only ADF AFAIK, apart from Spotted, which is an uncommon Summer visitor. My comparison could be used in, say, the Krugeror other overlap areas for comparison though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back