• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

¿San Isidro or Sumaco? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Coming from Mindo, in my way to Tena, I would spend three nights in one of those areas.

What will be the best area for different birds compared to Mindo? Other option I manage is to go to Bigal River Biological reserve for herps...

Does it worth going to Tambo Condor for a night?

PD: I'm also afraid of possible elevation sickness..

San Isidro is on the way; Sumaco and Bigal are not.

San Isidro will have the most 'similar' feel compared to Mindo: approx. same altitude and same kind of forest, but ofcourse some different birds that you will only find on the East slope.

San Isidro is 'clearly' different in bird composition from Sumaco and Bigal (those two have a bit more overlap).
San Isidro can be very rewarding with 3 nights. I feel Sumaco and Bigal will always give you the feeling that you just scratched the surface after 3 days.

So if you want to get most of the birds: San Isidro. If you want something totally new and fresh: Sumaco / Bigal, but you would need more time for both and you already loose a bit more time just getting there.

San Isidro would not be problematic for elevation sickness unless you are extremely sensitive

Niels

San Isidro is on the way; Sumaco and Bigal are not.

San Isidro will have the most 'similar' feel compared to Mindo: approx. same altitude and same kind of forest, but ofcourse some different birds that you will only find on the East slope.

San Isidro is 'clearly' different in bird composition from Sumaco and Bigal (those two have a bit more overlap).
San Isidro can be very rewarding with 3 nights. I feel Sumaco and Bigal will always give you the feeling that you just scratched the surface after 3 days.

So if you want to get most of the birds: San Isidro. If you want something totally new and fresh: Sumaco / Bigal, but you would need more time for both and you already loose a bit more time just getting there.

Thanks.. I will be in gareno 2 o 3 days, I think it would be similar to Sumaco, am I right?

Thanks.. I will be in gareno 2 o 3 days, I think it would be similar to Sumaco, am I right?

Gareno = lowland terra firme (more overlap with Bigal than Sumaco)
Bigal = low foothill + species of lowland that just enter into this area (let's say 40-50 percent overlap in species composition with Gareno, but I am guessing without analysis of lists)
Sumaco = foothill forest with few lowland species (let's say 50-60 percent of species as in Bigal, but only 20-30 percent of species as in Gareno)
San Isidro = cloud forest (30-40 percent species as in Sumaco)

but even with some overlap, the main interest is that each lodge has several special birds that are very hard to find elsewhere, so all places are rewarding. If you are after species diversity, I guess San Isidro and Sumaco will be the best combo with Gareno. If you want a smooth preparation for the overwhelming species richness of Gareno, Bigal is a good place to get used to the hardships of lowland amazon birding. etcetera etcetera ;)

Does it worth going to Tambo Condor for a night?
PD: I'm also afraid of possible elevation sickness..

Tambo Condor can be a great opportunity for some species if the Andean highlands, but best if you allot enough time to tour the Antisana Reserve (Tambo Condor's proprietor, Vladimir, is an excellent guide).

If you arrive very early or leave rather late, one night might suffice.

Tambo Condor itself is probably not high enough to warrant much concern regarding altitude sickness, but pace yourself touring Antisana.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back