• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for good 9x Bino (1 Viewer)

HoosierGuy

I recently bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x43 bino's and I'm happy with them. I wear glasses and they seem perfect for people who wear glasses.

Now I want a nice pair of 8.5 or 9 or 10 power binos. I think I would prefer 9 power. I want it waterproof, nice for eye glass wearers, phased corrected, multi coated. I would hope to find one for under $400.00

Any suggestions? I guess I'm looking for a 9x that's the equal quality of my Monarchs. Waterproof and good for eye glass wearers and nice optics are important. Again, nothing over $400 and under $350 would be nice.

Thanks!

At some point, hopefully (and finally) Vortex has a new 9x36 Diamondback coming out. The 8.5x44 Swift Audubon 828 (roof prism) has been around for awhile and has established a pretty decent reputation for itself. There are also the porro Swift Audubon 8.5x44 model 820. There are a few 8.5x50 binoculars out there in that price range, but the fov in a 50mm glass usually shrinks compared to a smaller objective glass.

There is lots of stuff @ 10x in the $400 price range. A ZEN ED would be the first place I'd go there. However, they will retire the Monarch pretty quickly.

A classic 9x63 is the Optolith, not enough known out of Germany. The price is over the budget. Really is so important the different among 8, 8.5 or 9X? I use binoculars almost daily. The different in power among the 8.5X42EL and the 8X32 SE is obvious for me but also it's true than I can get more detail with the Nikon at short distance. With cooperative birds, usually there're some everyday, as goldfinches, serins and so on, I've found I can count the fly feathers using the smaller bino. The bigger Swaro. excellent on the other hand, is a bit bellow in this aspect.

Hi all. First post here. I recently spoke to Vortex and they are expecting the 9x36 by the end of the month. I'm sure someone will post a review.

Or the Pentax DCF HRc 10x42's? How would the image quality hold up to my Nikon Monarch 8x43. The Monarch is my first truly nice binos. I'm looking for a nice 9x to 10x power around $300. Are the Pentax binos good for eyeglass wearers?

The best you can do at 10x, aside from a little slow focusing, is the Chinsese ED pair. Promaster, at Cameraland NY, or Zen Ray at their site. About 300-400.

Compared to those the Monarchs, Legends and EO Rangers are all the same.

I don't think it is practical to hope for an outstanding 9X. There is only one 8.5X that fits into that category and it is awfully expensive! It is enough that a reasonably priced, useful, "good" 9 x 36 is in the works by Vortex. Hopefully, if decently made, it will perform better than inexpensive or moderately priced 10 x 32 roof prisms. It will have wider FOV's, have friendlier EP's and really won't be substantially larger. A nice binocular to throw into your luggage or glove compartment, and take as a backup which will give you a bit more reach.
Bob

Pentax Dcf SP 10x50 For $350.00 New

Hi...Bought this new this week $350 included nextday delivery from dealer on Ebay(beachcamera.com). Great glass. Easy to hold. I wear glasses & its 22mm eye relief works for me. Plus they are water proof. I would deal wth him again, I had no problems & the binoculars are just as he described. For that price how could you go wrong.

I'd say the Swift Audubon,either 828# or 820#...you can even get the ED #820 in that budget,although the regular #820 has been praised as to be a better deal..the ZEN ED 10X is also a nice glass.
8.5X is actually a great compromise,...enough extra reach compared with an 8X .Than coupled with the FOV and versatility of the SWIFT's can be addictive

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back