• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

panasonic fz 150 +canon teleconverter? (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a FZ150 and am really pleased with it. But I also have a FZ 28 which came with a Canon teleconverter DC 58N 1.75X.
Question- what do I need to do to use the Canon teleconverter with my new Fz150?
I am finding it very difficult to discover what mm lens is on the FZ150 in order to buy a step-up ring. And is it as simple as that?
cheers
John

The filter threads on the end of the lens are 52mm, but I would not mount your teleconverter that way.

The way that the Panasonic DMW-LT55 teleconverter (B) mounts is with the DMW-LA5 adapter (A).

The adapter screws to the camera body at the base of the lens and extends past the end of the extended lens. The working end has a 55mm thread.

With the DMW-LA5 you would just need a 55-58 step-up ring to adapt the 55mm thread to your converters 58mm.

You would just need to verify that the end of your camera lens clears the added parts.

Mike

Attachments

• DMW-LA5.jpg
    DMW-LA5.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 430
fz150+cannon teleconverter

Thanks to scodgerott and jmepler(mike) for your advice. Things are a lot clearer now.
I will be ordering a Panasonic LA5 adapter(A) straight away, plus a 55mm-58mm step-up ring.
One last question- will I have to specify the two ends(Panasonic lens adapter + Cannon DC58N 1.75x) of the step-up ring or are they all the same length.

Cheers
John

Step-up rings have standard size filter threads as does your converter and the DMW-LA5 adapter.

You just need to get a step-up ring that has the right combination of thread sizes. In this case 55-58mm.

Mike

I should have thought of this before. There is a comparison on several sites that compares the digital zoom with the same magnification of that when using a teleconverter. In every case the digital zoom gave a better result than the use of the teleconverter. If you would like to look up ghough12 (Graham Houghton) on You Tube he does a comparision, as does smhamilton41 on Flickr. I have also found that same thing with a Sony 2x teleconverter I was trying to use. I put it down to a bad lens, but now I think there may not be a whole lot of an advantage in using a TC.

I just did a quick test of my DMW-LT55 1.7x converter compared to the digital zoom and was surprised at the results.

The images with the converter were slightly sharper, but not nearly as much as I would have guessed they would be. They also showed some slight chromatic aberration (CA), particularly off axis.

The images using the digital zoom where slightly less sharp and slightly more noisy, but showed no CA.

I was shooting a black and white resolution chart, so this really made the CA more noticeable.

I certainly won't hesitate to use the digital zoom like I have in the past, but for now my converter is staying on my camera.

Mike

fz150+cannon teleconverter

While looking for a step-up ring I found on Amazon a lens adapter for the FZ100 and 58 mm. Checking it out I discovered that the threads for the FZ100 and the FZ150 are the same, so with this I would be able to attach my Cannon telecconverter without using a step-up ring.
It has just arrived and fits perfectly.
As I am now packing to visit Tuscany I will soon be able to check what the end product is like.
The cost-£10!
Cheers
John

The adapter and telephoto conversion lens adds a little less than 150mm to the length of the camera but it is far from delicate.

The adapter is a fairly robust aluminum tube that screws into the camera body. It is rock solid.

I have been shooting off-hand mostly, but I have occasionally mounted the combo on my tripod that I use with my spotting scope, a Manfrotto 055 with a 3130 head. I have had no problems at all with stability. It really isn't very front heavy.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back