• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Monteverde (CR) birds (1 Viewer)

ralph21

3 Monteverde (CR) birds

I have 3 unidentied bird species from the Monteverde area in Costa Rica.
All were seen in very early august.

I'm sure the first one (the one perching on the thick branch) is one of the many tyrant flycatches of Costa Rica, but I'm not sure if this photo alone is enough to tell the exact species.

The second one, the yellowish one, looks seed-eater-like to me, but I don't think it's actually a seed-eater. It looks diffferent from the euphonias I saw as well...I'm stuck.

The other ones, I really don't know. I suspect the photo's aren't good enough to tell. Anyway, my guess is plain antvireo, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this.

Hoping someone can make something of these not-to-great photos.

Attachments

• Onbekend VER 02-08.JPG
    Onbekend VER 02-08.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Onbekend VER 01-08.JPG
    Onbekend VER 01-08.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Onbekend CCR 03-08.jpg
    Onbekend CCR 03-08.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Onbekend CCR 03-08 2.jpg
    Onbekend CCR 03-08 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 26
1 May be Olive-sidede Flycatcher and 2 must be a Auphonia but I have no books here to check.

Last two are very poor pics, I can't do them from such, someone might try, on bill shape, maybe Tennessee Warbler?

2 is a female euphonia, probably yellow-crowned euphonia based on range and lack of white on belly.

Tennessee warbler won't be in Monteverde in August, so suggest looking at resident warblers.

5 can't rule out male plain antvireo, but not definitive.

Yes, I did see yellow-crowned euphonias, so that is very possible. But for some reason this one looked different to me. must be me then ;)

I considered Olive-sided Flycatcher. But this is such a difficult family to ID. Wish I had a better pic but this bird flew off before I could make any more zoomed in photo's or photo's from another angle.

Yes, I did see yellow-crowned euphonias, so that is very possible. But for some reason this one looked different to me. must be me then ;)

I considered Olive-sided Flycatcher. But this is such a difficult family to ID. Wish I had a better pic but this bird flew off before I could make any more zoomed in photo's or photo's from another angle.

Aside from physical ID features, it's behaving like Olive-sided the way it perches up like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back