Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 20:51   #12601
Dave Appleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.Reville1989 View Post
"Wensum Valley raptor watchpoint at Swanton Novers NNR will be closing on Friday 12th August"
Is this true? or is this crossed wires in relation to the Great Ryburgh one?
Worrying times.
If I'm not much mistaken the Great Ryburgh one is the Wensum Valley Raptor Watchpoint and it's that one that's closing not the Swanton Novers one.

Birders have persisted in calling it the Great Ryburgh raptor watchpoint despite those involved with it insisting that it should be known as the Wensum Valley Raptor Watchpoint (which is, presumably, something to do with the fact that it overlooks the Wensum Valley and is not at Great Ryburgh).

Presumably the crossed wires arise from someone not knowing which one is the Wensum Valley one (after all, Swanton Novers isn't exactly far from the Wensum Valley and is, I think, within the Wensum Valley Bird Club recording area).

The Swanton Novers Raptor Watchpoint is, as far as I know, remaining open, so yes, crossed wires I think. I'm sure Tideliner will put us right if I've got that wrong, but I think that ties in with what he said previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black kite 1964 View Post
Given the riots in London and the possible breakdown of the western economy I do not see the closure of a field in Norfolk where men with beards watch birds of prey as notable!
I bet you would if the bird of prey was a Lesser Spotted Eagle...
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 20:57   #12602
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Dave. Rare eagles are only seen over over natural surroundings!! Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:04   #12603
O.Reville1989
I started off with nothing and I've still got some of it left.....

Quote:
Dave. Rare eagles are only seen over over natural surroundings!! Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!
Guess that depends how much use you get out of them! If a person enjoys viewing birds from these sites that are closing I would assume it matters to them a fair bit.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:08   #12604
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Fine provided that you pay for them. One viewing point is plenty. Watching the news of the carnage in London puts of this into perpective!!
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:41   #12605
Dave Appleton

Quote:
Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!
Couldn't agree more, and the same is true of pretty much everything that's said on Bird Forum. Doesn't stop us being interested in the insignificant things though!

Quote:
Fine provided that you pay for them. One viewing point is plenty.
But if Swanton Novers really was closing as well, as inferred in the recent messages, then there wouldn't be one viewing point. Not that that would be the end of the world, or even as significant as riots in London, but I think it's of enough interest to those interested in Norfolk birding to warrant being clarified in a thread about Norfolk birding.

Keep smiling ;-)
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:42   #12606
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Fine provided that you pay for them. One viewing point is plenty. Watching the news of the carnage in London puts of this into perpective!!
Having grown up in Tottenham this is just an extreme event of what happens every day in that area but doesn't get the publicity.
Have had numerous friends mugged or shops ransacked for being a different ethnicity or as just a random event.
This is just a coming together of all those events in a short space of time.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:46   #12607
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Appleton View Post
Couldn't agree more, and the same is true of pretty much everything that's said on Bird Forum. Doesn't stop us being interested in the insignificant things though!

But if Swanton Novers really was closing as well, as inferred in the recent messages, then there wouldn't be one viewing point. Not that that would be the end of the world, or even as significant as riots in London, but I think it's of enough interest to those interested in Norfolk birding to warrant being clarified in a thread about Norfolk birding.

Keep smiling ;-)
My source is rare bird alert so did make me question the reality of the situation!
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:50   #12608
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Seen a lot of things over the years. Burning of buildings and systematic looting of whole high streets is very extreme. I am not aware of it happening in cley or holme. Having said that most of the houses are in these locations are owned by people living in London!!
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:16   #12609
The_Partridge
Forum Member

Quote:
Seen a lot of things over the years. Burning of buildings and systematic looting of whole high streets is very extreme. I am not aware of it happening in cley or holme. Having said that most of the houses are in these locations are owned by people living in London!!
indeed

it's a little known fact but Terry Hall penned The Specials' 'Ghost Town' after a visit to Brancaster Staithe
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:26   #12610
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Full of retired doctor's I am led to believe. A ghost town indeed!! Holme in winter is also a ghost town - hardly anybody there as they are all in the home counties. Not good for the village pub or shop, the latter closed some time ago!!

Last edited by black kite 1964 : Tuesday 9th August 2011 at 22:31.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:35   #12611
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Full of retired doctor's I am led to believe. A ghost town indeed!! Holme in winter is also a ghost town - hardly anybody there as they are all in the home counties. Not good for the village pub or shop, the latter closed some time ago!!
I suggest a listen to Show of Hands-Country Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Y7cBLJWgI

Sums up Norfolk in 2011!
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:40   #12612
Kieren Allinson

These hoodlums running riot in London should follow the example set by our leaders. Cameron, Osbourne and Boris used to smash places up in their Bullington club days (quiet country pubs, family-run restaurants..that sort of thing) but at least they had the decency to pay for the damage afterwards, and often in cash.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:47   #12613
black kite 1964
Registered Member

That's not criminality by Boris and chums - nothing more than some fun!!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 00:57   #12614
David Norgate

I assume birding in Norfolk is rather quiet at the moment!

Not so here in Florida!!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 08:24   #12615
wolfphotos

Come on guys this is a bird forum not a socio-political discussion group. When compared to a lot of things that are going on around the world the riots are, at most, an inconvenience it's all relative. So the closure of a raptor watching point is, relatively speaking, more important in the context of this forum than a bunch of no-good malcontents who need a new tv.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 08:36   #12616
petehasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfphotos View Post
Come on guys this is a bird forum not a socio-political discussion group. When compared to a lot of things that are going on around the world the riots are, at most, an inconvenience it's all relative. So the closure of a raptor watching point is, relatively speaking, more important in the context of this forum than a bunch of no-good malcontents who need a new tv.
I totally agree with you on what you have said , this is a forum for people who are interested in bird watching ,
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 08:49   #12617
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Just noticed the closure of the Raptor viewpoint is on sky news. They are currently interviewing a man from Norfolk in a country inovations jacket with a beard! He says the online petition for a debate in the house on Raptor viewpoints is gathering force and three bf members have signed, all with beards of course!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 09:00   #12618
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Just noticed the closure of the Raptor viewpoint is on sky news. They are currently interviewing a man from Norfolk in a country inovations jacket with a beard! He says the online petition for a debate in the house on Raptor viewpoints is gathering force and three bf members have signed, all with beards of course!
I've signed and I'm not even old enough to support a good beard! I've heard they are going to march on London, Watt Tyler style!
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 09:01   #12619
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfphotos View Post
I needed a new tv so I went and bought one....How stupid was I!
But you are right, Its actually pretty important here hense why I bought it up.
Wonder if we will get the same reaction if Titchwell or Cley ever decided to close its doors to the public.....
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 09:16   #12620
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Rspb reserves are open because we pay membership. Same goes for nwt and noa. It costs me around 90 pounds a year to be a member of all three. If you want a second Raptor viewpoint then pay for it - Simples.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 09:22   #12621
jimbob

Does anyone on here actually do any birding these days?!
Surlingham Church Marsh yesterday remains quiet for the time being, although Duck numbers were up on the lagoon including a returning Teal. Highlight was a Kingfisher fishing the lagoon before bombing off in the direction of the river and Norwich. Aside from Lapwing, No Waders of late, water levels very much up and down, never quite hitting prime wader level! Snipe are back feeding somewhere, but as usual out of sight until they fly.

Not seen by me, but closer to the city a flock of 5 Greenshank was a good record at Thorpe Marshes. See here: http://shakysbirdingblog.blogspot.com/

Can anyone please provide information regarding access to the hide at Rush Hill scrape, Hickling? For those that may not know, the traditional route was to park at Potter Heigham Church and walk, but I am aware there has been some ongoing flood defence work on the Weaver's Way footpath.

Paul and James- thanks for the bird info, it does get read and is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 10:27   #12622
stuart white

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Does anyone on here actually do any birding these days?! Jim.
I went birding yesterday, a 3 hour seawatch produced a Fea's type petrel and 3 wilson's petrels but as they were all gone fairly quickly and I had no signal I didn't bother to report them

what really happened was much less exciting, from sheringham 6-9am we saw
c15 Arctic Skuas
2-3 Bonxies
7 Manx Shearwaters
a few auks
probable Black Tern
probable Scaup

We then met a chap in the garage who was asking the till operator if she knew where the Pec sand was ? She said she hated birds as they scared her !

Along at cley, North scrape was heaving with waders and spoonbills, quite a spectacle including a nice close comparison of adult and juvenile plumaged little stints and the adult Pectoral Sandpiper.

I'm off to the zoo now, should see some interesting birds there !
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 15:22   #12623
Thing
Idiosyncratic

Quote:
Juvenile Kittiwakes a couple of times in Yarmouth in the last week, 4 Med Gulls on the beach at lunchtime (2 first years a second year and adult). Loads and loads of juvenile gulls (LBB & Herring) loafing offshore. Didn't report them to RBA, but did stick them in Birdtrack....
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 16:01   #12624
Paul Eele

Titchwell August 10th

Quote:
Judging by the bird list today no!

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on grazing meadow late afternoon
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 hunting over reedbed

Paul
Old Wednesday 10th August 2011, 16:11   #12625
Tideliner

Dave has got it dead right. The Wensum Valley Watchpoint will be closing this week , but the Swanton Novers watchpoint will remain open for the forseable future.

Last edited by Tideliner : Wednesday 10th August 2011 at 22:01.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: