• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wendover (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I live in Wendover

Recommended Sites
  • Wendover Woods for Firecrest
  • Weston Turnville Reservoir for Winter Bittern
  • College Lake Wildlife Centre was a 200 acre disused chalk quarry. It is now a unique nature reserve managed by BBONT. A mosaic of contrasting habitats has been created from the bare chalk supporting over 1500 species. Part of the quarry is protected by English Nature as a Site of Special Scientific Interest for its geological features. In the Arable Weed Project cornfield wild flowers are being cultivated using vintage agricultural machinery. The site has been designed with education and the disabled very much in mind. There are a number of centres providing information on many wildlife and conservation topics. The centre has a car trail giving the disabled access to most of the hides.

I had a red kite swoop down in the garden a couple of months ago to pick up a dead juvenile starling I had found. What an awesome sight.

Regards
Helen in High Wycombe

Hi to you both. I am in High Wycombe. Do any of the members here get together and walk and watch birds and then have a beer or two?

regards

obm

Has anyone actually seen a firecrest at wendover woods?

Couldn't tell you the present status, but I saw them there fairly frequently in the 80s and 90s, and much more often heard them (up to 12 singing males). They used to arrive about a week into April and were very hard to detect once singing had stopped (although I did see the odd family party in midsummer).

Many years ago (when I was more local) I saw my first Crossbills there. Do they still appear in the woods?

I've never seen a Crossbill before, looks exciting. I'll go down there some time soon and see whats there.

I've seen lots of Goldcrests at wendover woods, but no Firecrests.

Has anyone actually seen a firecrest at wendover woods?

Yes , Lots of times ;) once you get your ear in on the distinctive call/Song , its quite easy to pick them out in the top third of the pines ( very rarely come much lower when singing )

Cheers

Simon

Couldn't tell you the present status, but I saw them there fairly frequently in the 80s and 90s, and much more often heard them (up to 12 singing males). They used to arrive about a week into April and were very hard to detect once singing had stopped (although I did see the odd family party in midsummer).

There is still a healthy population ( 15+ Pairs ) They can be encountered year round now , but better in late April, Early May

Cheers

Si.

Many years ago (when I was more local) I saw my first Crossbills there. Do they still appear in the woods?

Very infrequently , and then only in Irruption years - I last saw a chipping flock there , 3 years ago

Cheers

Si

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back