• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Took the plunge on Swift EDs. (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
Now not only do I have the highest resolution available, but add to that the best color saturation. I decided that the view through the 820 ED Audubons made up for the "updated" styling. My old Mark 2s have seen their share of birds, but the notion hit, and here comes the new kid on the block.

From my short experience looking through both, the ED makes a difference. It is not a miracle change, but noticeable. The updated coatings may help as well, but I would still rate the 804 (original) as one of the best bins ever. My two cents is that the ED glass is an improvement over the standard glass.

Anyone know if any of the current top-line compacts incorporate ED glass? I had heard on another post that some of the high-end models have used it without advertising.

BTW, the 804s will possibly be going on eBay shortly. I will entertain any offers.

I still hope to come across a pair of used 804 EDs, as I like that body much more. Tough to find though. In the meanwhile I can live with the look because of the view.

Robert Ellis said:
I still hope to come across a pair of used 804 EDs, as I like that body much more. Tough to find though. In the meanwhile I can live with the look because of the view.

Robert,

I was not aware that an 804 ED was made. Is the 804 the model immediately preceding the 820, or is it the true "original" Audubon, which was at least two versions before the 820?

Jonathan

There were about three different versions before the 820, which was the redesign. All were 804 if I am not mistaken. The 804 ED must have been available only for a few years. Swift and Celestron started offering their top line ED porros early 90s I think, then the 820 came out mid/late 90s. I have seen old ads and outdated web pages showing the 804 ED, but never in person.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back