• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback 8X32 quickie.... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I had a friend ask me to find a replacement for the "binoculars" she owns. I've looked thru her binoculars...they are TERRIBLE. I really don't see how they are of any use at all...but she uses them. So I set out on a quest to find her something better with the stipulation it has to fit in her purse. Really ANYTHING was going to beat what she HAS so this was going to be pretty easy. I looked around for some of the smallest, lightest 8X32s I could find that weren't too expensive....I came up with the new model Vortex Diamondback 8X32s. As the norm, I gave them a little once over before she gets them.

Vortex products have a good reputation and quite a following. I have owned a few of their binoculars namely Vortex Viper HD 8X42/8X32 and Vortex Razor HD 8X42, all nice, well made products. The Vortex Diamondback 8X32 retails for $189.99 and I've adjusted my expectations to that price point. Upon opening the box and initial examination the Diamondback 8X32 seem to follow in that theme. Construction seems to be fine. Focus adjustment is good with a VERY slight, not really worth mentioning amount of take-up in the focus. SLIGHT and it's really fine. Diopter adjustment is done on the right ocular and it functions properly as well. I put them on my scale, 15.7 ounces. That's really pretty LIGHT. They measure 4.4 inches long. That's small and light for 8X32s, PERFECT. So far, so good.

Time for a little viewing... I walk out to the front porch and do a little scanning around with the Diamondbacks. It's a pretty good image. Not too bad but not on the same level of the Eagle Optics Denali 8X42s I have. I hold the binoculars out from me a little bit and look at the oculars.....internal reflections/false pupils are easily visible. That's a bummer. It appears that's where the cost saving went. It makes me wonder if ALL of these binoculars are as such?? I'm thinking they probably are.

In conclusion on this very SHORT review... If these were going to be mine, back they'd go. Still debating that. A little too much compromise on optics for me to be pleased, even at this price point. I wouldn't re-buy OR recommend. Otherwise most that purchase these will likely be pleased because it will likely be a step up from what they are currently using or have adjusted their expectations accordingly.

Below is a picture of the oculars where the internal reflections are plainly visible and the Diamondback next to the Conquest HD and the Victory FL just for size comparison.

Attachments

• DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 671
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,113
Nice "quickie" review, Chuck!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on direction your coming from), you do have "experienced high standards" to uphold! :t:

However in that price range, THESE, at just 1\4" longer and 1 oz heavier, could be a really great deal for her...with Optics\Ergonomics guaranteed to please! ;)

Ted

I bought a pair just to leave in the SUV in case I NEED a pair of bins or end up killing time at the park and want to watch birds. If I PLAN to go birding it will be with Leicas or the Viper HDs. I know what you're saying-these are probably the least quality (in the VIEW department) of any I own. They are for when I don't plan on needing bins (kind of like we say about .25 ACP and .32 ACP handguns-"they are okay if you can't carry a gun"!)

I *almost* replaced these recently when all those SUPER deals were happening on Zeiss Terras but had no extra money then. NOW...I'm back on watches! :king:

Nice "quickie" review, Chuck!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on direction your coming from), you do have "experienced high standards" to uphold! :t:

However in that price range, THESE, at just 1\4" longer and 1 oz heavier, could be a really great deal for her...with Optics\Ergonomics guaranteed to please! ;)

Ted

You think I was a little hard on these Diamondbacks? I have to wonder if that IS the status quo for a $189 8X32? It probably is. Vortex is usually priced right at market value. Maybe your recommendation will come this way soon.

Side note:
I contacted Vortex optics to see IF the binocular I have is in fact representative of the 8X32 Diamondback. The rep was VERY quick to respond to my email and confirmed that yes, that was typical for that binocular. Vortex CS is first rate and that IS something you do pay for.

I bought a pair just to leave in the SUV in case I NEED a pair of bins or end up killing time at the park and want to watch birds. If I PLAN to go birding it will be with Leicas or the Viper HDs. I know what you're saying-these are probably the least quality (in the VIEW department) of any I own. They are for when I don't plan on needing bins (kind of like we say about .25 ACP and .32 ACP handguns-"they are okay if you can't carry a gun"!)

Yep. I can certainly see that. That's kinda like me. You want a nice binocular to leave in your vehicle BUT not TOO nice! GREAT analogy! :t:

I *almost* replaced these recently when all those SUPER deals were happening on Zeiss Terras but had no extra money then. NOW...I'm back on watches! :king:

HAHA.... I've always had a thing for WATCHES!

Attachments

• DSC_0024_1.JPG
    DSC_0024_1.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 249
You think I was a little hard on these Diamondbacks?
I have to wonder if that IS the status quo for a $189 8X32? It probably is. Vortex is usually priced right at market value. Maybe your recommendation will come this way soon.

Not at all, Chuck. The 8x42 and 10x42 Diamondbacks to my eyes, were just right and agree, perform appropriately "for their price"! I'll be very interested in what your recommended selection for your friend will be!! :t:

Ted

Although I do like many Vortex products, I was never a fan of the Diamondback line, especially the 32mm versions. You might investigate the Nikon 8x30's. I liked the Prostaff 7s, and thought it did well for the price. They can be had for around $170. The Monarch 7 costs more, but is one of the better inexpensive 8x30/32 out there. Certainly it is my absolute favorite in this class. The only downside to these two binos is that they don't have a great amount of ER. Opticsplanet currently has a 10% off sale, so you might look at their prices this weekend.

The Leupold on sale at Cabela's would also be a great choice, but you might have to pay tax and shipping. I still prefer the M7 8x30 over the 8x32 Mojave, but at this price point, it would be hard to pass up on the Mojave.

Opticron has a few very small and inexpensive 8x32's too. I can't remember the model names, but a few quick glances through them at a birding trade show left me with the impression that they performed very well for their prices. Might well be worth your time to investigate. One of them was as small and lightweight as the M7.

Chuck, I do have the Vortex Diamondback 8x32s and wrote about them here. They are not my favourite 8x32s but they do have two virtues: they're compact and they have good close focus. I generally prefer my Sightron 8x32s (hell, I generally prefer my 8x32 FLs but they're on a whole different pricing planet) -- but I've found the compact size of the Diamondbacks quite handy when throwing them in a small camera bag "just in case". So while they're not my favourites, I do use them.

...Mike

The Vortex Diamondback 8X32 retails for $189.99 and I've adjusted my expectations to that price point. ..........

The default goto 8X32 value binocular on this Forum is the Sightron II Blue Sky, but it is on the large side. It normally sells for around $180.

A binocular that I think is somewhat better and smaller is the Cabela's Guide 8X32. The normal price is about $250 dollars but right now it is on sale for $149.99. (They may be discontinuing it.)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=guide+8x32

Chuck, this should be a great choice for your friend, assuming it is small enough to fit in her purse. The sale price is even better than the Vortex price you mentioned so that makes it that much nicer.

The optics are very nice and it has easy eye placement for most. Here is a thread on the Guide, which appears to be the same as the Leupold Mojave 8X32 except for the external styling and badging.

Check it out!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112

Although I do like many Vortex products, I was never a fan of the Diamondback line, especially the 32mm versions. You might investigate the Nikon 8x30's. I liked the Prostaff 7s, and thought it did well for the price. They can be had for around $170. The Monarch 7 costs more, but is one of the better inexpensive 8x30/32 out there. Certainly it is my absolute favorite in this class. The only downside to these two binos is that they don't have a great amount of ER. Opticsplanet currently has a 10% off sale, so you might look at their prices this weekend.

The Leupold on sale at Cabela's would also be a great choice, but you might have to pay tax and shipping. I still prefer the M7 8x30 over the 8x32 Mojave, but at this price point, it would be hard to pass up on the Mojave.

Opticron has a few very small and inexpensive 8x32's too. I can't remember the model names, but a few quick glances through them at a birding trade show left me with the impression that they performed very well for their prices. Might well be worth your time to investigate. One of them was as small and lightweight as the M7.

So Cabeala's had a 10% off everything sale for Memorial Day. So the Mojave AND the Guide 8X32s were both on sale to start with THEN 10% off...$180 and $135 respectively. The kicker is...and I think I remember reading this NOW some time back....they are the SAME BINOCULAR. DEFINITELY both are a step up from the Diamondback optically. Really in every way. The Cabela's guide at $135 or even the $150 they are now...you'll never beat that quality for that price.

Chuck, I do have the Vortex Diamondback 8x32s and wrote about them here. They are not my favourite 8x32s but they do have two virtues: they're compact and they have good close focus. I generally prefer my Sightron 8x32s (hell, I generally prefer my 8x32 FLs but they're on a whole different pricing planet) -- but I've found the compact size of the Diamondbacks quite handy when throwing them in a small camera bag "just in case". So while they're not my favourites, I do use them.

...Mike

Mike I agree with you. They really are about the smallest 8X32 I've seen in this price range. Perfect to do exactly what you do with them. Sightron's seem to be the way to go optically but aren't as compact as I'd like in this situation..

The default goto 8X32 value binocular on this Forum is the Sightron II Blue Sky, but it is on the large side. It normally sells for around $180.

A binocular that I think is somewhat better and smaller is the Cabela's Guide 8X32. The normal price is about $250 dollars but right now it is on sale for $149.99. (They may be discontinuing it.)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=guide+8x32

Chuck, this should be a great choice for your friend, assuming it is small enough to fit in her purse. The sale price is even better than the Vortex price you mentioned so that makes it that much nicer.

The optics are very nice and it has easy eye placement for most. Here is a thread on the Guide, which appears to be the same as the Leupold Mojave 8X32 except for the external styling and badging.

Check it out!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112

Hey Bruce! Yeah the Mojave and the Guide ARE the same! Once I opened the boxes of each....a light went on and I remembered reading that SOMEWHERE on BF. So obviously the Guide is the way to go.

Thanks for ALL the input on this. I may still give her the Diamondbacks, really due to to size/weight. They binoculars she has are some off-brand 8X20ish binoculars she carries in her purse. They really ARE terrible. The worst binoculars I've looked thru in probably 20 years. She likes them because they are compact. So the Diamondbacks will be SUCH an improvement over what she has I still think she will be ecstatic! And hopefully they will be small enough that she will take them with her.

Eye relief...

I want to add a comment concerning eyeglasses use/eye relief...

Vortex Diamondback 8X32- no go. Not enough ER for me to use with eyeglasses. Not close really.

Cabalas's Guide/Leupold Mojave 8X32- Happy to report eyeglasses use is a GO! No problem for me with eyeglasses! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back