• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN-550 series? (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

I've not seen much on the TSN-550 series since the early posts towards the end of 2017.

Do people use this model? Or is it not really worth the premium?

Marc

If you visit my interview with Tim Strivens of Cley Spy in the Interviews with Retailers section you will find that he commented that 'the Kowa 55mm travel scope is selling quite well even though it is fairly expensive'.

Lee

I had a brief look through a 553 last year at Photokina and was impressed by its clarity but, as you point out, its price really rules it out as a one and only scope. For that outlay there are better alternatives and it is relegated to the role of an exclusive travel scope.

Of course, the fixed eyepiece does eliminate two air/glass surfaces, but AFOVs of 37°-55° are very modest compared to the 56°-69° of TE-11 WZ on the 880 series. The latter would perhaps have been too heavy and bulky for the 550, so IMO it would have been better served by a wide-angle eyepiece of around 25x magnification.

John

Thanks for the responses. Having not seen much talk here about it after the initial release, I was wondering what was up.

I saw a couple of hunter reviews that it compares well with the swaro 65 in good light and that it packs well into the backcountry.

I think I need to find somewhere with the kowa and opticron mm4, though the cost really favors the mm4.

Marc

I'm also interested in comparing the 553 with the MM4 - but I'm using the 60mm-Opticron since 1,5 years as a lighter setup to the DiaScope 85. My decision took time and can be read in the Jülich-Forum. (Follow the links in my post with more photos&info)

https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519,436519#msg-436519

Surely the Kowa is very good, but for me to much Euros for a second-scope-setup.

nice decision
Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
For some people you will be right Manfred but for some others the Kowa might be their only scope.

Lee

Yes - that's a very individual decision. And for me I described my way to the MM4 like a search for a second scope beside the 85mm-Zeiss. But that doesn't mean that it's a scope only for the back seat. I'm shure that it's also for everyone, who needs an 'only scope' but in a small size (55-65mm incl. the smaller package with the tripod&head). In the class of the smaller scopes it's very good an affordable. The 553 may have a little better colour correction, but I don't have seen anyone to compare. Due to the lower Vmax (45x) and the smaller exit pupil it's very important not to lose much contrast at higher mags. Comparing the older Zeiss-Zoom 20-60x (detectable losing contrast ~45x) with my 20-75x (nearly no loss until 75x) showed me this point. The MM4 is very good until ~40x, so it's also a good scope for everyone, who wants a small package. :t:
The FOV at 15x is on the tighter side, but 20x showed exact the same field; I'm using 15x just for the bigger exit-pupil if needed. A good and wide fixed focal length should be placed in the Opticron-portfolio. The 553 has not a wider filed at low mags or the ability for fixed focal eyepiece. But both zooms are shurely good enough at ~27x for satisfying birding. It's only the price tag of the 553 that yields to very high expactations, and everyone has to decide the pros and cons of the little gems. :eat:

stable viewing
Manfred

Comparing the older Zeiss-Zoom 20-60x (detectable losing contrast ~45x) with my 20-75x (nearly no loss until 75x) showed me this point.

Manfred,

Scope performance is usually determined by the objective and not the eyepiece. I would expect some loss of contrast at 75x in an 85 mm scope (1,1 mm exit pupil) but if the image is satisfactory, then any half-decent eyepiece should be better at 45x.
There will, of course, be differences in the edge performance of different eyepieces but for terrestrial use I don't think there would be any significant difference in the contrast of the central image between an Abbe-ortho and a multi-element zoom at the same focal length.
Perhaps your 20-60x zoom is defective. I once had a Diascope eyepiece with internal condensation. Zeiss fixed it.

John

Last edited:
I’m new to the forums but I frequent the hunting sites and would be happy to summarize the general consensus on this scope. From what I’ve been told it does suffer in FOV, but provides a tack-sharp image and saves about 1.5 pounds over the 65mm scopes. Most guys who use it like it for evaluating game at a distance once they have already found it in their binoculars. For that purpose it performs like nothing else in its size/weight class which is why it is very popular with the hunting crowd right now.

I was tempted to buy the tiny Kowa 553 as an "always with me" device. I expected the legendary Prominar fluorite quality in a diminutive package and was prepared to pay the premium price.

Last month I had the opportunity to compare the 553 with my Swarovski ATX 65 and - as a benchmark - the Swarovski ATX 95. I took my time and changed from one scope to the other during more than two hours. I found the 553 to be on par with the ATX 65 in terms of sharpness and contrast but the image was noticeable less bright and the colours seemed less neutral - slightly on the warm side. The narrow field of view was something that takes getting used to. Moreover, the whole construction felt somehow, well, not point-blank cheap but definitely less substantial than the ATX and not exactly "alpha". My initial idea that the 553 could eventually replace my ATX 65 and save me some bulk quickly dissipated.

I have to admit that the difference between these two was less obvious than the distinction between each of them and the giant ATX 95. What a hell of a scope in every respect! I couldn't resist. Hence, my plan to save weight and bulk from the ATX 65 flowed into the purchase of an additional ATX 95 lens module. 3:)

I know 2 backpack guys that swear by this scope....so much smaller and more packable than a big scope...and you don't need as much tripod. The one guy uses the Ultralight Kramer designs tripod....a pretty light setup and he says it's pretty good unless it's windy.

I've only looked through one for a short time up on the mountain...and it wasn't a side by side comparison...FWIW its got a great image but it grays out in low light compared to the bigger scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back