• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Mexico City (1 Viewer)

Here are some suggestions.
1. Desierto de los Leones. This is not a desert and there are no lions. It is a National Park.
2. Xochimilco. Here you can go for a boat ride to see water birds such as egrets
3. Popocatepetl Park. This is an active volcano in a national park about one hours drive from the city. You can take a bus. Here you can see the Striped Sparrow, Steller's Jay and others.
4. Popo Park. This is not a park, it is the village at the base of the volcano. At Hotel Eden there are many birds in the garden including White-eared Hummingbird, Buff-breasted Flycatcher, Gray Silky Flycatcher, and others. Yellow-eyed Juncos are common. The owner of the hotel will drive you to the volcano for a fee.
5. Beryline Hummingbirds are common right in the city wherever there are flowers.
6. And of course, Chalultepec that you already know about.
I know Mexico City well so if you have questions I will be happy to help.
Cheers

Yes, it is active and spewing ash. It has been off and on for years. The park around the volcano may or may not be open. There is a tour bus that goes there from Mexico City every Tues and Sat. They would know if it is open or not. Their telephone is +1 (877) 329-4461
Anyways, I found the best birding around the village of Popo Park which is a fair ways from the volcano although I would not want to be there if it blew its top. Although I found the Striped Sparrow only near the top. Thanks to the volcano, there is no logging or development so it is a good place for birds. The hotel at Popo Park would also have the latest information +52 597 976 7964
Anyways, Desierto de los Liones is closer and lots of birds there.

Assuming safety is still ok, Milpa Alta is a nice spot technically in city limits but a few hrs from some parts of the city. Notably it is a good site for Sierra Madre Sparrow and Strickland’s WP. It has generally good grassland and pine woodland birding. I went there in ‘13 or ‘14 as it was distinctly safer than the typical Sierra Madre Sparrow stakeout and we had a wonderful day.

Anyone have current gen?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back