Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Definition of the British list following BOU

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 19:35   #26
Mono
Hi!

Thanks for the info, couldn't find the sea area map.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 20:18   #27
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
I have no connections to Ireland, but I do to Denmark . . . can bubo create a list for Britain and Denmark?
Nutcracker

Download the BOU list and add:-
Stejneger's Scoter
Demoiselle Crane
Black-winged Kite
Lesser Spotted Eagle
Booted Eagle
Steppe Eagle
Imperial Eagle
Bonelli's Eagle
Long-legged Buzzard
Eurasian Eagle Owl
Eurasian Pygmy Owl
Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker
Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Black Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Saker Falcon
Daurian Jackdaw
Gray's Grasshopper Warbler
Sulphur-bellied Warbler
Spotless Starling
White-winged Snowfinch
Cinereous Bunting

The Spotless Starling surprised me.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 06:38   #28
wolfbirder

I know the adjudicating authority determines what's on a list, & nothing else, but I do find the determining factors somewhat contradictory - is it based on geographical or political lines?

If it's geographical (i.e a cluster of close islands) then Isle of Man should count as it is close, and perhaps Shetlands not count as they are fairly detached, but if its on political grounds (rightly or wrongly & without inferring anything morally), currently Northern Ireland should arguably be part of the British list if it lies in "associated waters".

I do like the notion of a British and Irish Isles list as from a pure hobby or birding basis, these isles in general-speaking terms, are a close identifiable cluster. I don't know why it hasn't appealed to me before, but although it means two over-ruling authorities (British and Irish - or 3 in fact - British, Irish, and Northern Irish), it does open up an exciting, accessible, and critically affordable twitching arena which I really hadn't previously considered.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.

Last edited by wolfbirder : Saturday 12th October 2019 at 06:42.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 07:32   #29
wheatearlp

Perhaps a look at the Ordnance Survey web-site would clarify the difference between Great Britain, the UK & the British(& Irish) Isles?

Some confusion no doubt caused by 'Great Britain' being used to refer to both the largest island in the British Isles and the political entity comprising England, Scotland & Wales.

As to what list(s) anyone keeps, that'entirely up to the individual. However, if comparisons are to be made, the definitions of the list area should be the same... as interestingly put by Andy A couple earlier in the thread 😉

Personally, if it is of the remotest interest to anyone, I keep a British list, perhaps 'cos I've never been birding in Ireland 🤔
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 07:50   #30
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Nutcracker

Download the BOU list and add:-
Stejneger's Scoter
Demoiselle Crane
Black-winged Kite
Lesser Spotted Eagle
Booted Eagle
Steppe Eagle
Imperial Eagle
Bonelli's Eagle
Long-legged Buzzard
Eurasian Eagle Owl
Eurasian Pygmy Owl
Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker
Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Black Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Saker Falcon
Daurian Jackdaw
Gray's Grasshopper Warbler
Sulphur-bellied Warbler
Spotless Starling
White-winged Snowfinch
Cinereous Bunting

The Spotless Starling surprised me.

All the best
Thanks! Only 2 on that list I've seen there, but also one or two others that are on UK list but which I've only seen in Dk (e.g. Tengmalm's Owl)
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 13:19   #31
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatearlp View Post
Perhaps a look at the Ordnance Survey web-site would clarify the difference between Great Britain, the UK & the British(& Irish) Isles?

Some confusion no doubt caused by 'Great Britain' being used to refer to both the largest island in the British Isles and the political entity comprising England, Scotland & Wales.

As to what list(s) anyone keeps, that'entirely up to the individual. However, if comparisons are to be made, the definitions of the list area should be the same... as interestingly put by Andy A couple earlier in the thread 😉

Personally, if it is of the remotest interest to anyone, I keep a British list, perhaps 'cos I've never been birding in Ireland 🤔
What will happen if / when Scotland leaves the UK, I'll lose half my list!
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 13:43   #32
wolfbirder

The biggest confusion seems to lie in the concept of Britain - is it just the single landmass containing England, Scotland, and Wales, or is those 3 plus outlying smaller islands?

It seems to be the latter.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 14:08   #33
wheatearlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
The biggest confusion seems to lie in the concept of Britain - is it just the single landmass containing England, Scotland, and Wales, or is those 3 plus outlying smaller islands?

It seems to be the latter.
Not really.

No such thing as 'Britain', although our nationality is British, which confusingly refers to people from the UK 🤔

Great Britain is both the name given to the main island of the British Isles and the countries of England, Wales and Scotland combined.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 14:32   #34
Dave Ball

It’s fairly straightforward. The ‘British List’, as opposed to the ‘British and Irish List’, is the list of birds that have occurred in any of the three polities that form part of the United Kingdom and that are situated on the largest island of the British Isles, Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales - alphabetical order), plus all offshore islands administered by those polities. This excludes all of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands, including their offshore islands. This definition has much more to do with historical accident than with zoogeography.

For those wishing to compare lists, birds accepted on the British List are of course administered by the BOU.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 15:27   #35
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatearlp View Post
Not really.

No such thing as 'Britain', although our nationality is British, which confusingly refers to people from the UK 🤔.
... and the Channel Islands and IOM...

The reality is that there are various political and geographical definitions of Britain and the British Isles, and different people chose the one they like and argue it is the correct definition.

From a political point of view, it would make sense to have a UK list, which would exclude the CI and IOM, but include NI. From a geographical point of view, it makes little sense to exclude IOM but inude NI.

I keep a Jersey list and include offshore islands such as Great Britain and Eurasia
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 22:40   #36
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Missed this before:

Quote:

Www.historic-uk.com/HistoryofBritain/The-UK-Great-Britain-whats-the-Difference/

The British Isles

The British Isles is the name of a group of islands situated off the north western corner of mainland Europe. It is made up of Great Britain, Ireland, The Isle of Man, The Isles of Scilly, The Channel Islands (including Guernsey, Jersey, Sark and Alderney), as well as over 6,000 other smaller islands.
As a geographical unit, the British Isles does not include the Channel Islands; geographically, they are part of France.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 23:27   #37
wheatearlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
... and the Channel Islands and IOM...

The reality is that there are various political and geographical definitions of Britain and the British Isles, and different people chose the one they like and argue it is the correct definition.

From a political point of view, it would make sense to have a UK list, which would exclude the CI and IOM, but include NI. From a geographical point of view, it makes little sense to exclude IOM but inude NI.

I keep a Jersey list and include offshore islands such as Great Britain and Eurasia
Was trying to keep Crown Dependancies out of the discussion 😉
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 08:54   #38
MJB

Quote:
It was easier when half the globe was pink...
MJB
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 09:17   #39
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
It was easier when half the globe was pink...
MJB
A British Empire list would have been good!
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 09:49   #40
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Missed this before:

As a geographical unit, the British Isles does not include the Channel Islands; geographically, they are part of France.
Absolutely, considering the source of the article, which you would expect to be accurate, its got a few things wrong.

Great Britain is NOT just the main island comprising England, Scotland and Wales, and as you say the British Isles nor the UK does NOT include the Channel islands. They are separate, as a Crown dependency.

Its quite interesting studying these concepts, there is undoubtedly a lot of misperception.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: