• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny, Miniature, Pocket instruments (1 Viewer)

How does the Mikron compare to the Docter 8x21?
The Mikron's are binocular's so you have the BIG advantage of binocular vision and DOF using two eyes and they have a bigger FOV. That being said the Docter 8x21 is an excellent monocular and it is smaller and more compact than even the Mikron's but if I had to pick between them I would take the Mikron's because the view is so much better.

I want one of these mikron now!
Are the body on the 6x15 and 7x15 both metal?

Yes both are metal, identical in size and weight and feel very solid/heavy for the tiny size. They are both a little jittery in terms of image for me but the weight helps to steady them some. I don't think you would want them to be any lighter.

Mike

Which one should I go for, the 6x15 or 7x15? Are they box exactly the same with exception of colour and magnification?

The price difference is about $50 more for the 7x15.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Which one should I go for, the 6x15 or 7x15? Are they box exactly the same with exception of colour and magnification?

The price difference is about $50 more for the 7x15.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bruno,

See my post #39 above and quoting Super Dave on why we both prefer the 6 over the 7. For me it comes down to the brighter slightly steadier view and wider FOV, but if mag is more important to you, the 7x is worthy.

And yes, they are both exactly the same physically except for color and magnification. The spec sheet does list 10.1 mm ER for the 6 versus 10.0 for the 7 but this is not a significant, if any, difference. Do note though if you wear glasses with bins then definitely get the 6 as the wider FOV works better with glasses.

mike

Bruno,

See my post #39 above and quoting Super Dave on why we both prefer the 6 over the 7. For me it comes down to the brighter slightly steadier view and wider FOV, but if mag is more important to you, the 7x is worthy.

And yes, they are both exactly the same physically except for color and magnification. The spec sheet does list 10.1 mm ER for the 6 versus 10.0 for the 7 but this is not a significant, if any, difference. Do note though if you wear glasses with bins then definitely get the 6 as the wider FOV works better with glasses.

mike
I did read all the posts. But the first post said something about one having a better prism.
I do like the black, it just looks better, but if the silver 6x15 is a better option, it will save me a bit more too.

Last edited:
I did read all the posts. But the first post said something about one having a better prism.
I do like the black, it just looks better, but if the silver 6x15 is a better option, it will save me a bit more too.

Bruno,

Comparing the Anniversary 7x with the recent model 6x again today, I am even more inclined to recommend the 6. The significantly wider FOV and brighter image more than compensate for the difference in mag for me.

Regarding a possible difference specifically in the prisms of the 6 versus 7, I do not know but the consensus here seems to be that both 6 and 7 recent models have been upgraded in terms of "glass" and coatings.

Mike

Bruno,

Comparing the Anniversary 7x with the recent model 6x again today, I am even more inclined to recommend the 6. The significantly wider FOV and brighter image more than compensate for the difference in mag for me.

Regarding a possible difference specifically in the prisms of the 6 versus 7, I do not know but the consensus here seems to be that both 6 and 7 recent models have been upgraded in terms of "glass" and coatings.

Mike

Thank you for your feedback, I will go with the 6x15 once if ind one at a good price. Or unless I'm impatient haha

Hi,

I keep thinking of buying a Nikon Mikron via ebay but can't decide between 6x15 and 7x15. I have heard there is a version with better prisms. And then there are used Trinovids and Ultravids, even I think an old 6x20 Zeiss, and of course the Svaro 8x25 and the incredible Zeiss Victory 8x25. And the Zeiss monoculars, I own an old one and it's not terribly good.

SO let's have a thread about stuff that really fits in a pocket, and especially the Nikon Mikron recent versions - which is best?

Oh and btw, did I say this about things that really fit in a pocket?

Edmund
I own the Nikon 7X15 porro prism binoculars…absolutely LOVE them. small..lightweight and have the reach and field of view of binoculars 3 times their size. I bought my first pair at an estate sale for less then $10.00. They were so old that the original eye cups crumbled. It was otherwise in sound condition. I was heartbroken when I lost them while sailing. It took me 2 years to find a replacement on Ebay from a seller based in Japan and they were a bargain at $150. New copies if you can find them cost over $300. If you can find them in decent shape for under $200…snap them up. They are built like a tank but extremely light. Probably not ideal for birding but great for general use and for hiking. I treasure mine

@BenHyman
I have an older version of the Nikon 6x15 when the company wasn't even called Nikon yet and the eyecups on that one are actually painted brass. So there is no piece of plastic on the whole bino. I think it's from the 50s probably. Has older coatings of course so it's not as bright but the optical quality is still very good.
I'm a huge fan of those miniature binos. Got a whole collection of them by now.IMG_20230916_174058.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back