• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian or Royal Tern? Jacksonville, Fl (1 Viewer)

Newton-W

Caspian or Royal Tern? Jacksonville, Fl. EDITED to Add More Photos

This was taken in May, 2019 in Jacksonville, Fl. USA. I'm starting to wonder if I have it misidentified. Is it a Caspian or Royal Tern. It was photographed over a fresh water lake, if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.

Newton

Please note that I have added photos to show some underwing shots, and different views. Although the lighting changes through this series, they are the same bird and all taken within minutes/seconds of each other as it flew around a small lake.RoyalTern-001f.jpg
Thanks to all who commented.

Attachments

• Royal-CaspianTern-001fa.JPG
    Royal-CaspianTern-001fa.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Royal-CaspianTern-002fa.JPG
    Royal-CaspianTern-002fa.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Royal-CaspianTern-003fa.JPG
    Royal-CaspianTern-003fa.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Royal-CaspianTern-004fa.JPG
    Royal-CaspianTern-004fa.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I keep looking at this pic and thinking Royal. I could be wrong, but May might be the short window when they have a full black cap and a deeper orange bill, and the bill looks a bit slender for Caspian to me. Happy to be wrong, but I'd welcome further opinion.

I keep looking at this pic and thinking Royal. I could be wrong, but May might be the short window when they have a full black cap and a deeper orange bill, and the bill looks a bit slender for Caspian to me. Happy to be wrong, but I'd welcome further opinion. Pics of the underwing would help too.

I keep looking at this pic and thinking Royal. I could be wrong, but May might be the short window when they have a full black cap and a deeper orange bill, and the bill looks a bit slender for Caspian to me. Happy to be wrong, but I'd welcome further opinion. Pics of the underwing would help too.

Ditto, my instant reaction was Royal.

Do Florida Royal Terns have much longer bills than those in California? This looks well outside the range I am used to seeing on the west coast.

Agreed it looks ‘Orangey’ - i saw thousands of Caspians (in addition to a few West African Royals) down at Dhakla and there was quite a range of subtle tones in the winter-plumaged Caspo’s bills...

Laurie:t:

Ditto to Royal with the new pics - shows nicely the value of posting a series of pics rather than just one :t:

Nutcracker, you are correct (as usual), I should have posted the series. Admittedly, the original shot was "artistic" and I was called out on that shot by someone on a local Florida bird forum. I had posted a series of BIF, single shots of each, so one look was all I presented. Many thanks to you. :clap:

Thanks to everyone who participated in my posting. I could have made it a lot easier if I had posted more images. But, it was late, blah blah blah, etc., and oh ya, the dog ate my homework.

I love this Forum!

Do Florida Royal Terns have much longer bills than those in California? This looks well outside the range I am used to seeing on the west coast.

I'm not sure, rkj. I've attached a shot that was taken 4 months before the OP shots, but on the beach, some 20 miles east. Lots of terns that day and it was tough for me, being a non-birder, to sort them out, LOL.

I hope this helps,

Newton

Attachments

• RoyalTern-00001a.JPG
    RoyalTern-00001a.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 30
Yes Simon - i do now think it a Royal, i have very limited experience and even then not Yank ones, i merely pointed out issues with bill colouration and size of the driller initially:t:

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back