• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Spacemaster Eyepieces (1 Viewer)

eetundra

I read an old article from 1985ish that was transcribed online, it stated that the Spacemaster with the 22x wide angle eyepeice was kit of choice. I Sthe current Spacemaster in any way related to the model from the 1980s? I was shocked to read that knowing that a current version sells for $250 and only comes with a zoom eyepiece. Is the eyepeices still replaceable? I wish many of the cheaper scopes would ditch the zooms and give a moderate (20-25x) magnification wide angle piece.

eetundra said:
I read an old article from 1985ish that was transcribed online, it stated that the Spacemaster with the 22x wide angle eyepeice was kit of choice. I Sthe current Spacemaster in any way related to the model from the 1980s? I was shocked to read that knowing that a current version sells for $250 and only comes with a zoom eyepiece. Is the eyepeices still replaceable? I wish many of the cheaper scopes would ditch the zooms and give a moderate (20-25x) magnification wide angle piece.
hi, it would seem the old spacemaster eyepieces inc the 22x will only fit mods 782317 - 781821 - and - 781817 i have an old 60mm black painted spacemaster scope fitted with an opticron hdf ww 20x [turns it into a very nice scope ] the old bushnell 22x was the best of a bad bunch i.m.h.o. looks like the new scopes take new eyepieces. i might be wrong.

eetundra said:

I have an ancient Spacemaster 60mm from the 1960s.

It was made in Japan with screw in eps.
It has a "20x Wide" (not 22x) and a 40x and a 60x.
It's very decent at 20x but too dim with the other eps.

Don't know if the new one would take these eps or not.

BTW the other poster mentions model numbers and I can't find any on my scope. Where should I look?

SF

Last edited:
Sout Fork said:
I have an ancient Spacemaster 60mm from the 1960s.

It was made in Japan with screw in eps.
It has a "20x Wide" (not 22x) and a 40x and a 60x.
It's very decent at 20x but too dim with the other eps.

Don't know if the new one would take these eps or not.

BTW the other poster mentions model numbers and I can't find any on my scope. Where should I look?

SF
google [spacemaster eyepieces 782317]. after that change the number to 781821 . then change the number to 781817. for some old info. opticron h.r. eyepieces will fit.

stuart C smith said:
google [spacemaster eyepieces 782317]. after that change the number to 781821 . then change the number to 781817. for some old info. opticron h.r. eyepieces will fit.

Apparently my scope predates the above-no rubber armor nor the peep sight on top of the prism housing.

I did find a little history about it.

Apparently the US Army at the start of WWII was thinking in terms of the trench warfare of WWI where human "spotters" were posted along the trench to keep an eye on the other side. They wanted some kind optical assist for this position so they contracted with the American firm of Bausch and Lomb Optical Co to build them a scope for this tactical position hence the term "spotting scope".

That WWII version of our Spacemaster was a 50mm porro with a sealed non-removeable fixed ep to keep the unit sealed against rain and dust under field conditions.

Apparently to this day Bausch & Lomb still makes a very expensive 10x40 tactical sniper rifle scope for the US military. I have seen them selling used for about $800 us.

More than you ever wanted to know...

SF

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 919
Sout Fork said:
Apparently my scope predates the above-no rubber armor nor the peep sight on top of the prism housing.

I did find a little history about it.

Apparently the US Army at the start of WWII was thinking in terms of the trench warfare of WWI where human "spotters" were posted along the trench to keep an eye on the other side. They wanted some kind optical assist for this position so they contracted with the American firm of Bausch and Lomb Optical Co to build them a scope for this tactical position hence the term "spotting scope".

That WWII version of our Spacemaster was a 50mm porro with a sealed non-removeable fixed ep to keep the unit sealed against rain and dust under field conditions.

Apparently to this day Bausch & Lomb still makes a very expensive 10x40 tactical sniper rifle scope for the US military. I have seen them selling used for about $800 us.

More than you ever wanted to know...

SF
thats very interesting, and the pic. thank you for that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back