• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lappet-faced Vulture (1 Viewer)

The spelling of Torgos tracheliotus is changed to T tracheliotos in IOC World Bird List v3.2 (Draft), citing Rookmaaker 1986. Comments from our nomenclature gurus...?

Nowhere near a guru, I note that when the genus was changed from Aegypius (trachielotos) to Torgos in IOC2.3, the species spelling was changed to trachielotus; I seem to remember an explanation that case agreement and the linguistic origins required the -os ending to become -us. Presumably the higher levels of arcane nomenclatural wizardry have since been stirred into wakefulness somewhere this side of Valhalla...
MJB
PS I admit that while responding this time, I was looking at the Watzmann while the strains of Richard Strauss's Alpensinfonie were conjuring up Caspar Friedrich's painting of the German Victorian gentleman on the peak...

...I note that when the genus was changed from Aegypius (trachielotos) to Torgos in IOC2.3, the species spelling was changed to trachielotus
Mike,
Lappet-faced Vulture was reassigned from Aegypius to Torgos in v2.0 (Jan 2009), but the spelling of the specific epithet has remained unchanged as tracheliotus from v1.0 (May 2006) through to v3.1 (Apr 2012).

[Peters 1931, Voous 1977, Mayr & Cottrell 1979, and Dickinson 2003 also use tracheliotus.]

Last edited:
The spelling of Torgos tracheliotus is changed to T tracheliotos in IOC World Bird List v3.2 (Draft), citing Rookmaaker 1986.

Comments from our nomenclature gurus...?

I don't see any case agreement or linguistic origin issues in this. -us is Latin, usually masculine, -os is the Greek equivalent. Either would be fine for a masculine genus name (such as Aegypius or Torgos). It looks to me as if Rookmaaker simply spotted that the original author's usage (with -os) had been incorrectly transcribed and used subsequently as -us. Peters has the publication date as 1791, whereas Rookmaaker (and Zoonomen) have it as 1796, so the ending may not be the only error that has crept in. I suspect that -os it is, unless someone wants to make a claim of prevailing usage for -us.

Keith

The original naming:
http://books.google.com/books?id=K5YLAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false .
Page 362.
The letter is definitely an ‘o’ but the top portion is not printed. Making it sort of look like a ‘u’. The lower case ‘u’s look very different from the lower case ‘o’s in this document. The name on the plate is clearly -os. Page 467.

The name was emended to –us as early as 1816. (Wolf Abbildungen naturgeschichte Gegenstände merkw und-Beschreibungen) The –us seems to be the most popular over the years.

This appears to be from 1796.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back