• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

Court,

I hope you don't mind but I've made a quick PP on your finch. (Let me know if you want to delete it).

http://i.imgur.com/duy7Sbn.jpg

What is the EXIF of that shot?

Thanks!
no I don't mind at all ;)

I posted it as it was taken because I wanted to show a sample image from a HS50 without any PP .PP is such a personal thing don't you agree ?

Normally I'd delete that image as the light was so poor . The image of the Goldfinch with the damaged leg is a much better image

thank you kenneth and when are you going to order your HS50 then ?

hopefully in about a months time, hasn't helped to have a job cancellation due to flooding & poor weather. Looking forward to it, may sell something on ebay to raise funds. Thought of being able to take hand held shots @ 1000mm..........

hopefully in about a months time, Thought of being able to take hand held shots @ 1000mm..........

I know ... incredible isn't it.

Sorry to hear about the job. Thats the worst part of being self employed isn't it. The uncertainty

It seems like a big expenditure when you think about it especially as it is for yourself. I had doubts for nearly a year and plenty of guilt but finally I reasoned that it would probably be all I needed for at least 2x years and would still have at least half its value left even then .

Thats roughly £4.03p per week ;) unbelievable value .

When you think of the enormous pleasure it will give you each and every day ,its definitely worth every penny. What other pastime could you have that would only cost you £4 per week ?

Last edited:
no I don't mind at all ;)

I posted it as it was taken because I wanted to show a sample image from a HS50 without any PP .PP is such a personal thing don't you agree ?

Normally I'd delete that image as the light was so poor . The image of the Goldfinch with the damaged leg is a much better image

I actually like that one I've PP coz it has more detail and the composition is nice.
You should learn to PP this in RAW coz HS50 a lot potential much like HS30 in pulling out details.

And at ISO-250 under that condition is keeper IMHO.

Question coz I have been seeing this in your posts. You are always mentioning 1036mm FL. How come? Is it the one indicated on the EXIF?

HS50 has 24-1000mm EFL.

4.4 - 185mm and has a 5.41 crop factor

I will have a HS50 soon so I will be happy to share my pictures here as well.

Thanks!

Question coz I have been seeing this in your posts. You are always mentioning 1036mm FL. How come? Is it the one indicated on the EXIF?

!

yes the exif data indicates that my lens is at 1036.21 mm at max zoom?
Looks like Fuji have allowed a little tolerance so that all cameras as issued will always have 1000mm+

How soon will you be getting your HS50 ? The US usually gets things before us in the UK .

You are going to love this camera . Its light years in front of the HS10 Fuji's first camera in the HS series.

Today I managed to find some branches covered with moss which is going to look fantastic as a perch. All we need now is some decent weather. We are still getting snow and hail here .

Remote control for HS50

for me ,....the best way to decide between several cameras was to list all the features that you need in the camera in order of preference.

For example I want the camera predomininantly for taking shots of birds in my garden. it will be set up semi -permanently on a tripod in front of a feeding station outside my conservatory window.

I will use it through double glazing at times and sometimes externally by using a RR-80 wireless remote control by JJC.

Most important features for me was
1. long telephoto 30x+
2. fast AF (auto focus)
3. fast shot to shot times (fast read write times)
4. fast start up
5. clear high res evf
6. must accept remote control

so for me the size and weight isn't an issue nor is the fact that the manual zoom lens is stiff and jerky like the HS10 as I will probably never use the video mode on the camera.

Hi EB,

Just thought I'd drop you a comment regarding the remote for HS50.(as you listed it as one of your must haves) It would appear from other comments made on the internet that Fuji have altered the wiring in the HS50 and the old RR-80 remote or cheaper alternatives, won't work. The new remote (RR-80A) is apparently the RR-80 plus an adapter and guess what, it appears the adapter is not available separately !
Think I'll wait a month or two and hope a third party mfg comes up with a new clone.

Been following this thread since it started and I'm just waiting for the battery to charge on my HS50, bought tonight. Can't wait to go out and play.
I've been using a HS20 for a while so am looking forward to the faster focus, and the added length.

Hi EB,

Just thought I'd drop you a comment regarding the remote for HS50..

yes thanks for the heads up FR but I spotted this the moment that I received my HS50 on the 8th March.

I have posted several videos on youtube about the HS50 with images which you might find interesting.
There is a discussion on My Finepix on the HS50 but posting there is really frustrating.

Been following this thread since it started and I'm just waiting for the battery to charge on my HS50, bought tonight. Can't wait to go out and play.
I've been using a HS20 for a while so am looking forward to the faster focus, and the added length.

looking forward to seeing your images keith and also hearing about your experiences with the camera tomorrow.

The speed of the shutter, read write times and autofocus are going to blow you away.! :t:

Looking forward to a full review 3:)

Would like to know how the AF gets on with low contrast images as my canon bridge camera was poor.

Looking forward to a full review 3:)

Would like to know how the AF gets on with low contrast images as my canon bridge camera was poor.

still looking for a full review, repeat earlier post that the camera handles poor light situations very well ( I took my test shots in the overcast drizzle which is what the weather usually is in this part of the world), found this http://kakaku.com/item/K0000463957/picture/#tab

like this pic http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000463957/ReviewCD=581978/ImageID=114140/ ok not perfect in that bird partially obscured/tail missing, but what has been captured is sharp, more samples here http://photohito.com/camera/brands/fujifilm/model/finepix-hs50exr/

can't wait to get mine, why did that S5pro turn up at a good price last month....?

added this http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5219&news=fuji+HS50+exr+CES+2013+preview

Last edited:
So far it hasn't stopped snowing so I'm a little loathe to take the camera out yet. Showing signs of the skies breaking so should be able to get out later.

frustrating isn't it !

i've had loads of folk from around the World clammouring for images on my youtube videos for a couple of weeks now and what with snow hail rain and complete overcast cloud cover its been impossible.

Today is bright and sunny . As soon as I have Pop washed dressed and settled I might try a few shots on my bird station.

I managed to find some gorgeous moss on a branch yesterday which almost glows . Its going to look fantastic if only a bird will land on it ......:C

What mode do you use for birding ? i read a good tutorial on the net last year and A mode was recommended over the more popular P mode.I'll see if I can dig it out and reread it ;)

love your signature
'Newer scope, even newer camera, same idiot holding them though'

Got out for a short while, so visited a local nature reserve. All photos are straight from camera, no photoshopping other than to resize to post on here.
The view at zero zoom and the full zoom on feeders shot were taken from the same spot within the hide.
The red kite would have been long gone with the HS20 as it wouldn't have found the bird in time.
The great tit shot I am well pleased with, even a 100% crop of this photo is still pretty good.
The treecreeper is literally a chance shot of a bird I saw as I walked back to the car, I wouldn't normally even try to get a photo of these as they move too fast but I have a good record shot.
I'm going to really love using the camera.

Attachments

• View at zero zoom.jpg
    View at zero zoom.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 312
  • full zoom on feeders.jpg
    full zoom on feeders.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 318
  • red kite over.jpg
    red kite over.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 293
  • great tit.jpg
    great tit.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 397
  • treecreeper.jpg
    treecreeper.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 341
just a couple of quick images to try out my new moss covered branch prop.

Attachments

• Goldfinch on moss 1 mini.jpg
    Goldfinch on moss 1 mini.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Goldfinch on moss 2 mini.jpg
    Goldfinch on moss 2 mini.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 313
The treecreeper is literally a chance shot of a bird I saw as I walked back to the car, I wouldn't normally even try to get a photo of these as they move too fast but I have a good record shot.
I'm going to really love using the camera.

is that a treecreeper you jammy wotsit :t:

very nice Great Tit I've been trying to entice one of mine into position all morning .
Isn't the HS50 gorgeous ?it feels so nice in the hand not too heavy not too large . The more I use it the better I like it , especially the fast AF and shutter speed. The image quality is very good too considering the amazingly low price of this camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back