• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller 8x32 (1 Viewer)

The Traveller is smaller! ;)

I presume you are referring to the Countryman HD rather than the previous Countryman model. The real virtue of the Traveller is it's small size and light weight (380g vs 614g). They both have more field curvature than some other Opticron models, but it's more pronounced on the Traveller and the edges are fuzzier, though it's less noticeable on the 6x than the other magnifications. The view is much narrower (111m vs. 140m/1000m). It's also more susceptible to glare though it's small enough to shield the objectives with a hand which helps. The Traveller is great fun but if pocketability isn't the priority then I would strongly favour the Countryman HD. For me it's main strength is it's centre field sharpness which I find better than many models at the price.

David

I second David, the big advantage of the Traveller is the size but if you're not too worried about that, the Countrymans are better.

Thanks both for that I think I will stick to the Countryman but before I buy I will wait to see the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 to see if the eye relief is suitable .I am not sure when the Monarchs will be on sale in the uk. Harold

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back