• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kent Dragonfly site species Request Please (1 Viewer)

Heathy

Good evening

As part of my growing dragonfly website, www.marcheathwildlifephotography.zenfolio.com, I am in the process of trying to add some sites in Kent and what species you can expect to see.
The sites I would currently like to know what dragonfly and Damselfly species occur are: Marshside, Cliffe Marshes, Bedgebury and Sissinghurst. If anyone else has any good sites and what species can be seen I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Marc

Good kent sites for Odonata

Good evening

As part of my growing dragonfly website, www.marcheathwildlifephotography.zenfolio.com, I am in the process of trying to add some sites in Kent and what species you can expect to see.
The sites I would currently like to know what dragonfly and Damselfly species occur are: Marshside, Cliffe Marshes, Bedgebury and Sissinghurst. If anyone else has any good sites and what species can be seen I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Marc

Hello Mark.

I assume that you have Westbere, Hothfield and Dungeness on your list of sites as well.

Cracking photo's by the way.

Regards

I'm no expert on Kent, but I can give you the species lists from my one visit last year. I'll have missed lots at all sites, as I timed the trip for scarce emerald, willow emerald and small red-eyed and didn't worry about too much else.

There are a few sites written up on UKDragonflies, although not too many in Kent from memory.

Cliffe: common emerald, scarce emerald, blue-tailed, common blue, black-tailed skimmer, ruddy darter (lots), migrant hawker. That's for the RSPB site itself - there were a few scarce emeralds in the ditches near the gate that leads to the southern emerald site (where southern migrant hawker is also sometimes seen) although I believe there are more in the ditches where the southern emeralds live which is private land although the farmer doesn't seem to discourage visitors on foot. I didn't go there as it involves climbing a gate.

Marshside: blue-tailed, common blue, small red-eyed, willow emerald, common darter, migrant hawker. All in different bits of the same roadside ditch.

Stodmarsh (which I'd recommend as a good site - park in the NNR car park): banded demoiselle, blue-tailed, common blue, small red-eyed, brown hawker, migrant hawker, emperor, black-tailed skimmer.

More experienced locals will laugh at the shortness of those lists, but I saw what I went for and left happy!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back