• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta meostar S2 82 HD (1 Viewer)

I want to purchase a meostar s2 HD , but not sure which eye piece to go with. I will be using it for birding. Any suggestions?

For birding with the S2, I chose the 30-60x wide. I haven't tried the narrower 20-70x, but I have a second 80mm scope with a more conventional (narrower) 20-60x and the extra field of view of the Meopta 30-60x makes a substantial difference when it comes to quickly getting the bird in view. I'm not sure how often the extra 10x of the 20-70x would be useful. In my experience, probably not too often.

Hope this helps,
Mark

I've not tried the 20-70 but I have tried the 30-60 and I think I would prefer the 20-70 because there is only 0.2 of a degree difference in fov so they are almost equal in that regard, but the extra depth of field of 20x would be a great advantage for locating birds and getting them in focus quickly. And having more than one bird in focus at the same time.
Also the lower mag is better when there is heat haze and dust/pollution in the air.
And, this is entirely personal and may not effect others, I found the 30-60 to have really strong rolling ball when panning. Of course the 20-70 might do too but I don't know as I haven't tried it.
I agree that the 70x may not be of use very often.
That's my preference, anyway.

I agree with Boogieshrew, and my experiences are as his. I've had an S2 for the best part of a year, and although I've only used it a few times, I find it optically stunning with the 30-60x. I don't understand why these scopes aren't being sold by the truckload. The distortion when panning is noticeable, if that's an issue. I've not seen the 20-70x ep, but given that the scope handles 60x so well, I reckon 70x would be excellent. The FOV difference isn't huge.

If I recall correctly, the FOV of the 30-60x at 30x is actually wider than the 20-70x at 20x.

The rolling ball is noticeable at 30x, but by 40x it disappears, to my eyes anyway.

If I recall correctly, the FOV of the 30-60x at 30x is actually wider than the 20-70x at 20x.

The rolling ball is noticeable at 30x, but by 40x it disappears, to my eyes anyway.

True that...by 40x I don't see RB. And if there's a bird in the FOV at 30x, I don't see the RB either!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back