• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going rate for an 804ED? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
I love the 804 Audubon, moreso than the newer 820. Have been thinking all day "only if my 804 was the ED, then I'd be set." I don't remember these being available for a very long time before the 820 came out. How likely am I to get someone to part with them? What is it going to cost me?

Furthermore, who can get me ED lenses for my 8x30 and 10x35 EIIs? (A longshot at best.)

Robert Ellis said:
Furthermore, who can get me ED lenses for my 8x30 and 10x35 EIIs? (A longshot at best.)

Well, Nikon, of course, in their SE series. they probably use ED glass of some sort, because the optical performance of those binos is just breathtaking.

Give a second look to the new Swift ED 8.5x44 porro. It cost me $379 and it is amazing.

Otto McDiesel said:
Well, Nikon, of course, in their SE series. they probably use ED glass of some sort, because the optical performance of those binos is just breathtaking.

Give a second look to the new Swift ED 8.5x44 porro. It cost me $379 and it is amazing.

Yeah, I decided not to wait until I find the 804ED and took the plunge on the new model. I think I still prefer the build of the 804 but in the meantime I have the best image available.

Say, don't you also have both Celestron EDs as well?

Robert Ellis said:
Yeah, I decided not to wait until I find the 804ED and took the plunge on the new model. I think I still prefer the build of the 804 but in the meantime I have the best image available.

Say, don't you also have both Celestron EDs as well?

Sort of, they belong to my wife, but i am using them a lot. She bought them in 1992 or 1992 begore we got married.
We have a wartime Zeiss 7x50 individual focus (bright and clear as an angel's soul); a 1988 Zeiss Jena Dekarem 10x50 slightly out of collimation because my beloved wife dropped them and they fell 4 meters - that's how i claimed her Celestron;
a Nikon EII left from a previous project, and a Swift 8.5x44ED that i just could not leave behind.
The Celestrons 9.5ED are quite educated binoculars: My wife did 5 years of feld work with them, earning a MS and a PhD in biology with them, and i also used them a lot for my PhD . They went to Celestron in CA this spring for lubrication of the focuser (the greased dried and they were a bit stiff) and a bit of cleaning. After all these years and hard work, they are as good as new.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back