• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID? Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Butterflies have become a new interest for me to supplement my birding/photography and I haven't had time yet to really know what I'm looking at. I picked this up today and am hoping for help with the ID.

While I'm here, I would appreciate any suggestions as to ID reference texts or online sources that would cover what I will run across here in North-East China.

Attachments

• NT4A5080.jpg
    NT4A5080.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 32
  • NT4A5085.jpg
    NT4A5085.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 31
  • NT4A5101.jpg
    NT4A5101.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 30
  • NT4A5122.jpg
    NT4A5122.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 36
ID? eastern Kansas, USA

I know even less about butterflies than I did about birds when I started birding, so would appreciate any help with these four that I dug up from images I hadn't deleted from spending my summer 2015 in USA. These are all Johnson & Miami counties in Eastern Kansas.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 29
  • NT4A0375.jpg
    NT4A0375.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 23
  • NT4A3584.jpg
    NT4A3584.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 30
  • NT4A9081.jpg
    NT4A9081.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 41
note #4 is not a Painted Lady (look carefully at those dark based hindwings and then again at the forewings pattern...). Strangely it almost certainly is an Asian Admiral... was this one really from the US or did you see it in China?

PS: Asian Admiral aka Indian Red Admiral in the UK

Last edited:
note #4 is not a Painted Lady (look carefully at those dark based hindwings and then again at the forewings pattern...). Strangely it almost certainly is an Asian Admiral... was this one really from the US or did you see it in China?

I also thought that

A

Ah, you are correct, I was looking at my 2015 schedule not 2016 which this is. It was indeed in Panjin, Liaoning, China

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back