• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monsieur Lefèvre's invalid (Northern) Gannet (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While dealing with some French naturalists (and bird traders) I came across this guy, commemorated in ...

• the invalid "Sula Lefevri" BALDAMUS1851 (here, in the foot-note, below the text by "A. L."/Auguste Lefèvre, signed "Bald.") [Syn. Morus bassanus LINNAEUS 1758 (earlier a k a Sula bassana)]
Ich würde, falls sich die Species wirklich bewährt, was weitere Beobachtungen darthun werden , den Huldigungsnamen : Sula Lefevri vorschlagen. Herr August Lefèvre hat sich nicht bloss durch diese jedenfalls scharfsinuigen Bemerkungen um die Ornithologie verdient gemacht. ...
... which I assume is aimed at the French oologist and taxidermist/preparator Auguste Lefèvre (fl.1859), Naturaliste Préparateur, in Paris (a k a August, in German, as in the quote above, but see the preceding page, below title, page 37).

Also see the following links; here, here or here [pp.1-(9)-16, 214-215].

No years found, neither on his birth, nor his death.

Björn

PS. Not to confuse with his later, fellow countryman and namesake; Professor Auguste Lefèvre (1894–1946) or the French vice admiral, by the same name (1828–1907). ;)
--

Last edited:
Why not Auguste Lefèvre (1828-1907)? The name was given by August Carl Eduard Baldamus as Sula lefevri .

How did I come to a link with him? First sentence of the article here:

Ayant remarqué dès mon début dans l'étude de l'ornithologie (il y a 23 ans) une faculté propre aux fous (sula) et autres oiseaux voisins, qui leur permet d'introduire un volume très-considérable d'air dans un appareil souscutané qui leur et particulier...

So it looked like the author was 23 years old in 1851 when the article was written (means he was born 1828).

But

It is actually:

...which means he started studying ornithology 23 year before he wrote the paper. If so, he was certainly born a fair number of years before 1828.

Here as author:

Lefèvre, Auguste Alfred (182:cool:

Atlas des œufs des oiseaux d'Europe

But Les Antilles, souvenirs, pensées, paysages is from 1836 and it might be the same Auguste Lefèvre. In this case clearly Laurent is (as usual) correct.

Note: Regarding Amédée Lefèvre (1798-1869)one small additional as his wife was honored in Doricha eliza.

Last edited:
As Monsieur Lefèvre suddenly reappeared I gave it/him yet another go (even if he's not one of "mine") ...

So what about this French text (from 1868), clearly about a "naturaliste" (naturalist), by the same name, see top of p.280 :
Un naturaliste plein de mérite, M. Auguste Lefèvre, possède, comme savent tous les amateurs, une collection d'oeufs d'oiseaux des plus complètes. Il a eu la complaisance de me communiquer, sur la manière de les préparer, de les conserver et d'en former une magnifique collection, telle que la sienne, un excellent mémoire que je donne ici textuellement.

Des Œufs et des Nids ...
Doesn't this indicate that (M./Monsieur) Auguste Lefèvre was gone when this was written?

Or?

If "our guy" is equal of the Author of the Œufs book, alt. books – there's apparently also a Plate work by the title Atlas des Œufs des Oiseaux d'Europe – surely he, and his years, ought to be found in some French Library catalogues?

About the latter book itself (i.e. its English edition); here.

Also see here (p.254), where Auguste Lefèvre is as well mentioned on p.9, and on p.250.

If of any help?

Björn

Doesn't this indicate that (M./Monsieur) Auguste Lefèvre was gone when this was written?
No. The meaning is roughly:
"A highly valuable naturalist, M. Auguste Lefèvre, owns, as every amateur knows, a collection of birds eggs among the most complete. He had the kindness to communicate me, about the ways to prepare them, to preserve and to form with them a superb collection, such as his, an excellent memoir which I give here textually."
"possède" (= owns) is present; if he had been gone, you'd have had a past tense: "possédait" (= owned) or "a possédé" (= has owned).

If "our guy" is equal of the Author of the Œufs book, alt. books – there's apparently also a Plate work by the title Atlas des Œufs des Oiseaux d'Europe – surely he, and his years, ought to be found in some French Library catalogues?
The BNF (National Library of France) has him down as "Lefèvre, Auguste (17..-18.. ; naturaliste)".

And here's a real long-shot; what about this text (all in French). Is it by chance of any help? From Magasin Pittoresque (1878):
Notre notice de 1835 cite le noms des sauveteurs qui s`étaint distingués depuis Bouzard. Deux noveaux, morts récemment, méritens d'étre signalés; ce sont le pilote Desgronit et Auguste Lefèvre, baigneur à Puys, près de Dieppe. Tous deux avaient reçu la croix d'honneur.

[from pp.131-132]​
As I don't understand French I cannot tell if it's about "our guy", Auguste Lefèvre, the taxidermist and oologist, nor if its about any of his younger namesakes, like the poltician and vice-admiral (1828–1907), or the Professor (1894–1946), alt. yet another completely different Auguste Lefèvre. Also note that there's a "père Lefèvre, oratorien, ..." mentioned on p.316. If relevant? Probably not.

Lefèvre, as well as "Auguste Lefèvre", seems to be a pretty common name. Like this guy, even more modern. ;)

Well, this is as far as I can reach. The rest I leave in more capable (French-knowing) hands ...

Good luck, pin-pointing him!

/B

As I don't understand French I cannot tell if it's about "our guy", Auguste Lefèvre, the taxidermist and oologist, nor if its about any of his younger namesakes, like the poltician and vice-admiral (1828–1907), or the Professor (1894–1946), alt. yet another completely different Auguste Lefèvre.
This is about a bather in Dieppe who had rescued people at sea, received a medal for this, and had died recently in 1878. (No further explanations.) Being dead in 1878 would in any case exclude the two younger namesakes that you cite. If the recent death was directly linked to the action, "our guy" (who would then have been nearing 70 yo) would not seem very likely either.
My guess is that your last option (yet another completely different Auguste Lefèvre) may be the most likely.

"Lefèvre" means "the smith", and is indeed a quite frequent surname. (Just like "Smith" is in English.)

Last edited:
Any opinion if here...
LEFÈVRE (AUGUSTE-ALEXANDRE), né à Paris. Rue de l'Abbé-Groult, 72

4639- Tête de taureau; plâtre

...is the same guy? At least sounds like natural history (Bull's Head = Tête de taureau). If yes, he still lived in 1879 here.

Last edited:
The French Monsieur Auguste Lef... (however his Surname was written?), in serious need of French knowledge!

Sorry to open this old thread ... nope, I´m not truly sorry! Quite the opposite.

About a Month ago I received an e-mail from Christophe Gouraud (Author of quite a few very reliable and thorough Papers, dealing with various earlier Naturalists), in which he sent me (of all people!) some brand-new information, regarding the dedicatee in question, both confirming the suspected Birth, and revealing the Death of "our guy" in this thread, the fairly obscure, and hitherto almost unknown (French) guy commemorated in ...

lefevri as in:
• the invalid "Sula Lefevri" BALDAMUS 1851 (OD in post #1; see foot-note, below the text by "A. L." [i.e. "Auguste Lefèvre"], signed "Bald." [Baldamus]) [a synonym of the Northern Gannet Morus bassanus LINNAEUS 1758 (earlier Sula bassana). To me, the description of Secondary remiges, and tail, indicates that the two Lefevri specimens were (simply) sub-adult individuals (most likely 4th year, possibly in Winter plumage, close to full adult plumage) of the Common/Northern Gannet.]

Apparently Gouraud's colleague Laurent Chevrier have found a certain Acte de Deces (Death Record), which ought to be the very one, of the dedicatee himself (see excerpt below!), and thanks to this discovery by Mr Chevrier, I think we might be pretty close, or even very close, to solving this certain topic/puzzle!

1A. Acte de Deces ... Auguste Lefebvre .jpg

Note: This recent finding should be credited to Laurent Chevrier alone. I myself have, had, or has, nothing to do with this brand-new info (I just received an e-mail from Christophe Gouraud, which didn't take much effort), and I certainly don't want to appear as trying to steal, or snatch, the honour from Monsieur Chevrier (neither from Gouraud, or anyone else for that matter). In this case I´m nothing but the Messenger, the Postman, a Delivery guy (simply informing you all, of Chevrier's discovery).

All in all, at this point (as I see it, and as far as I can tell), this would make "our guy" into something like:

... the French oologist and taxidermist Auguste Lefèvre ("18091895"), a k a Lefevre (without the diacritic mark/grave accent), and/or/alt. ditto Lefebvre, whose full name seems to have been Auguste Alexandre Lefèvre [Note: Given names; not hyphenated].

In a pure German context (like in the OD) he's a k a; "August" [i.e. the German version of Auguste, written without the ending-e], though with the Surname/Family name; "Lefèvre".

Though note; on the recently found Death certificate his name was written (as nothing but): "Auguste Lefebvre" [in this certain document his name was written with an inserted b – and without any second given name, which (just like we've seen in quite a few earlier cases), wasn't very uncommon, or isn't odd in any way. In many Death records/certificates the deceased was fairly often recorded as nothing but what he (or she) was called, in every-day-life, just like he/she/they were known, in those days, among the persons surrounding them, at that certain time (regardless, however accurately; of how many, or few, Given names the person in question was given at Birth).

Disclaimer: Why I still keep him as Lefèvre? And not as Lefebvre (as it's clearly written in the Death record)? That's basically because the former way is how his surname was written in various (quite a few) books and papers (for examples, see earlier posts in this thread), particularly in the very one; "Notice sur le Fous (Sula) d'Europe", that lead to the commemoration/dedication itself, by Baldamus in 1851 (published on the preceding pages, directly prior to the OD).

This said, in knowing how picky (and slightly over-sensitive) many, or most Authors are, in cases of how their names is presented (either spelt, written, or typed) in print [this I certainly know, being one myself ;)].

"Lefèvre, Auguste" is also the way his name is used/written/listed in BNF (Bibliotèque national de France/National Library of France). Institutions like that are rarely wrong (but sure, we've seen it happen before, in other cases).

As you all can see, there seems to be some uncertainty (at least in my mind), though I hope some of it will be a bit clearer to/for anyone curious enough (at least to those who does know French), if you have the time, and patience enough, to continue reading the next-following, even longer post, of various random thoughts, and notes. Remember, in this case I'm, more or less, grasping at straws ...

To be continued ...

--

Last edited:
Monsieur Auguste Lef... continuation

And now, onwards, bear with me, as this continuation turned out far, far longer than I expected when I started to write it (actually, half an Essay), and it all might appear somewhat unfocused (which I assume it is!), but that's all due to the simple fact that I´m unable to analyze, nor can I value, the various facts, statements, or clues given (found, along the way), simply as I don't read, nor understand, French ... which is the very reason why it took so long, why I waited this long to post it all (regardless of a bit short of time, of course). I simply just don't understand most of it (obviously, as told, in post #8). ;)

However, as Christophe Gouraud was kind enough to entrust me with this piece of information, I thought the least I could do, as a mere favour of return, simply showing him some gratitude (and respect), equally due to the simple fact that I was the one that started this thread (to this I do confess), and I did try to find this guy (even if not very successful), and as such I feel slightly responsible (and somewhat obliged to respond), thereby I decided to give it yet another go, yet another attempt, in trying to understand the various bits and pieces (which, to be true, turned out ... just about as fruitless), still somewhat in vain ... however, I will post it all anyway. Hopefully some of it can be of some use, even if it's a lot to digest, but maybe (hopefully) it could be worth to continue reading ... even if I'm (as always) on somewhat boggy ground, when we're dealing with French guys (and sources, or references in the ditto Language).

Either way, at this point; "our guy" seems to have been born: 16 August 1809, in Paris, France, and onwards, as earlier (the little we know, or/and have found, this far, in this thread) ... until he seemingly, apparently (allegedly) died 18 February 1895, at the age of 85 (and just over 6 months), in Dieppe (Seine-Maritime), Normandy, in the same France.

Disclaimer: This said, without fully understanding if there is/was (or maybe could be) a risk of a possible mix-up (even if somewhat unlikely), between "our guy" (the oologist and taxidermist), and/with a plausible, possible (Artist) namesake. Of course, all those titles could be aimed at the same guy (and they probably were/are). Or not. Who knows?

If it truly was "our guy" that passed away in Dieppe I cannot tell, but that's all due to my lack of linguistic skills. Without knowing or understanding French, it's pretty hard (read: impossible) to follow him, from Paris, via his books, collections (of eggs) and taxidermy works/shops, etc., etc., ... all the way to Dieppe. Like I said/wrote; it could be him, or not (most likely it is). If anyone knows better, and can (safely) follow his trace from Paris to Dieppe, please enlighten us all.

In any case, if we're to trust Gouraud and Chevrier (and I don't see any reasons not to, only some minor questions, that most likely could be solved); it sure looks like Martin did find the proper guy in post #6 ((y)), see below (possibly also the same guy in #11), and that I myself wasn't all that astray (in post #8), when I suggested that this guy might have ended up in Dieppe ... !?!

2A. Birth record - Lefevre.jpg

Mr Gouraud also gave an extra piece of (quite important) information, that would be valid not only in this certain case, but also in many other cases, where we trust, and rely on what's been found in the records of the Paris Archives/Archive en ligne (as for this particular guy referred to in post #6):
... due to the Paris Commune, almost all the archives got lost on the 24 May 1871. So, the certificate of birth nowadays in the Paris Archives is NOT the original but the results of cross-checking information ...

Gouraud also referred to his paper about the Parzudakis [that he wrote together with Richard Mearns, and the same Laurent Chevrier; Charles and Emile Parzudaki: Natural history dealers in Nineteenth-century Paris(from 2016); here alt. here], where we find the following information, a bit more exhaustive, on p.84 (see footnote No.15):
On 24 May 1871, during the Paris Commune, almost all the archives, including the marital status records from1793 to 1859, were destroyed by fires at the city hall, Palais de Justice and Préfecture de Police. By cross-checking information from family papers (announcements and notices) with notarial acts and parish records, those archives were later reconstituted. The administrative delay of several months in the report of a change in name in the marital status, initially published in Bulletin des lois ...

Which (at least to me) seems to complicate things, and certainly so whenever dealing with (as in interpreting) any original name, or names, and their exact certain spelling, if only based on what's found in those certain Archives. Thus, it (and any such records) ought to be treated with care. Those Paris records are, apparently and somewhat sadly, not as 'dead certain' as one might like to think, and/or believe. Sigh.

Regarding the full name of "our guy" (from what I can tell), his Second/Middle Given name "Alexandre", seems never to have been used elsewhere, at least not from what I have seen, or found. Present only in that particular Birth Record (in the same Paris Archives/Archive en ligne). And in Martin's post #11 (if him), of course.

In any case, there might be some few (but maybe important) clues, that possibly could take us a bit further, in recently found Death record, of "Auguste Lefebvre". In it he's noted down as: "Fils célibataire" (i.e. Son, single – the latter part, as in a Son without a Life partner/Spouse, not as in the only, single Son), i.e. the (unmarried) Son of Jean Françoise Lefebvre & Marie Louis (if the latter is a second Given name, or her Sur-/Family-/Maiden name I cannot tell?). Hopefully knowing his Parents could help us onwards (if needed, into/onto slightly safer grounds). I haven't seen any texts with his Parents mentioned in Paris (nor elsewhere).

In the same Death record we're also told that he seems to have lived his last days in the town Dieppe (Seine- Maritime), and even more exactly; in the section (quartier) de Caude Cote, at Route de Pourville, No.2 ... which would be here [looks like he must have had quite a nice view, over-looking the English Channel!]

⛱️

To be continued ...

---

Last edited:
Monsieur Auguste Lef... continuation, part II (and windup)

Could this possibly be the guy in question? In; Dossier de proposition pour la Légion d'honneur (1865-1930) - Lettres H & M – LH/3227 à 3244, we find the following guy:
LEFEVRE (Auguste)
sculpteur et naturaliste à Dieppe (Seine-Infèrieure)
Grade demandé: chevalier, date(s) du dossier: 1894
LH/3235, 4 pièces

[from here, p.48]
The same name is also listed on p. 101, as: "artisan". [Which I assume is Artisan, as in French for Craftsman? Alt. as in Artisan d'Art (Art Craftsman), a craftsman of Art/the Arts?]

In my mind any, "sculpteur et naturaliste" (sculptor and naturalist), or even "Naturaliste Préparateur" (as he's also been called), would (or could) fit a person titled either Artist (Artiste, alt. Artisan/Artisan d'Art), or taxidermist ... or wouldn't, couldn't it? Regardless if the same person also was collecting eggs (as an Oologist), of course.

Also note that we're not dealing with two (possibly different?) locations, as I first read it; one "Dieppe (Seine-Maritime)", and another: "Dieppe (Seine-Infèrieure)", as I suspected (and somewhat feared). Nope, it's apparently the same town, Dieppe, Seine-Maritime, in Normandy, France (prior to 1955, in Seine-Inférieure).

Thereby, it might be worth checking the Leonore database (here, or here) ... ?

Another (fairly recent) Paper/book that could be worth looking into (for anyone who can read French, of course) is:
Les sciences naturelles à Rouen au XIXe siècle (Muséographie, vulgarisation et réseaux scientifiques), by Bénédicte Percheron, Éditions Matériologiques (2017). At least Chapitre 1 [Chapter 1; pp.167–245, as of here], titled; "Le cabinet d’histoire naturelle de Rouen (1835-1872)", seems to include something regarding what I think is, or at least could be, "our guy" ... ?

Another piece that might be worth checking (?) is:
La bijouterie francaise au XIXe siecle (1800-1900). III. La troisieme republique, from 1908 (here), with several (many, many different) Messieurs Lefebvre mentioned. If anyone of those could fit "our guy" is way off my understanding [though probably not, if about "bijouterie" (jewellery, or nipper-trinkets)].

Also take a look at the following two links, here and here (simply to find out if it's him, or not?). From what little I can tell it could be either way ...

The main thing, that still bugs me, is the particular spelling Lefevbre (without accent, and even more; with the b incorporated), as this seems to be the least (far lesser) used spelling, in various contexts of what we know is "our guy" (or, in some cases, where we only suspect it's him). In most (all?) of those cases he's either; Auguste Lefèvre, or simply ditto Lefevre (for examples; see attached excerpts, from the documents in the links of post #1, and #4, or in the links above, in this post). The single, odd one out seems to be the Death Record/certificate itself, where the name clearly was written as: "Auguste Lefebvre".

I sure hope that messieurs Gouraud and Chevrier managed to follow him all the way from Paris to Dieppe, and while doing so that they were able to exclude all, and any, other guys by the same surname ...

On top of this Christophe Gouraud informed me, that in the Baillon collection they have quite a few specimens (29 in numbers), all attributed to this certain guy, and on some of the specimen labels, his surname is/was written (possibly by himself?) ... in both ways ... !?! A small, but disturbing fact that certainly doesn't make it any easier to decide on which version of his surname, that is (or could be, alt. would be considered as) the most proper way to write it.

Equally noteworthy, is that Christophe Gouraud himself, also made the following short remark: "I am actually fine if Lefèvre is preferred".

Thus, and thereby; take your pick!

The rest of it all, sorting out this "mess", I gladly leave in more capable (French) hands. Hopefully my lingering uncertainty, and irresolute hesitation, could be easily erased.

Either way, as usual, don't hesitate to remark on any of what's written above, whatever small or large. Like I said/wrote above, it's all a bit vague to me (slightly fumbling in the dark)! Any additional information (even contradictory) would be warmly welcomed! I'll do my best to reply (if I find it possible/useful).

Well, that's it, that's all (this is as far as I can reach). A lot of writing (and a lot of fuss) about a little-known (somewhat local) figure, a guy in the margins of European (French) Ornithological History [of even less relevance (read: none) in today's Nomenclature] ... thus, take it all, for what it's worth. And please, don't quote, nor trust, or refer to me (on this certain one). In this particular case, at least in parts (or even most of it), I've just been thinking out loud.

Good luck figuring it out ... and hopefully; solving it all.

In any case; enjoy!

Björn

PS. And, guys, if anyone feel up to it, maybe thinking of giving it another go (that is; as in if, in searching for him, on the "net",); remember that Lefèvre (alt. Lefevre, as well as Lefebvre), is a very common name in France (also written Le Fevre), with a multitude of various, different persons, equally in (more or less) close connection to Natural History (either as Traders of Naturalia, or as Taxonomists, alt. as pure Naturalists). In an all Non-Natural History context they are numerous!

The Surname/Family name itself means; Smith (as in Blacksmith), and it's just about as common as the Family/Surname 'Smith' would be, if searched for, in an English context.

Now, finally, I'm done. On my part; Lefevri ... over and out!

—The End
---

Attachments

• Augeste Lefèvre - 3.jpg
    Augeste Lefèvre - 3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Auguste Lefèvre.jpg
    Auguste Lefèvre.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Auguste LEFÈVRE - 2.jpg
    Auguste LEFÈVRE - 2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Auguste Lefèvre - 4.jpg
    Auguste Lefèvre - 4.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 2
  • LEFÈVRE.jpg
    LEFÈVRE.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2
  • M. Auguste Lefèvre.jpg
    M. Auguste Lefèvre.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
One more (final) post ...

Re. the dedicatee behind 'Monsieur Lèfevre's Gannet' in the invalid "Sula lefevri" BALDAMUS 1851

Simply as I, some days ago, got yet another e-mail/reply/response from Christophe Gouraud, which I think would, or could, be of interest for quite a few BirdForum readers, at least here on the Bird Name Etymology sub-forum, ... see below (only some initial phrases of courtesy excluded) [my blue and bolds]:

It seems the spelling of the name Lefebvre vs Lefèvre is somehow bothering you. Few more words about this:
  • as you correctly mentioned and generally speaking, the name Lefèvre can be found written as follow: Lefèvre / Lefevre / Lefèbvre / Lefebvre / Le Febvre and it can also be found written as Lefaivre ; they all have the same pronunciation. In French the ai has the same prononciation as the è. Note that in the case of Lefebvre or Lefèbvre, the b is mute (phonetic = lə.fɛvʁ).
  • The digram bv is a diacritical mark of French in the Middle Ages, when u and v were written similarly, to signify that the letter that follows is pronounced \ v \ and not \ u \ or \ y \. This medieval disambiguation also explains the Lefébure spelling (where the u / v of the initial text has been kept in u). Note that Lefèbure has a rather different pronunciation compare to Lefebvre (phonetic = lə.fe.byʁ).
  • I believe that these different writings (this is the case for names other than Lefèvre) come from the fact that at the time people wrote a lot phonetically.
  • I come back on the Lefebvrein the Baillon collection:
    • indeed this collection holds 29 specimens from a "Lefebvre" or Lefèvre" but only 4 are clearly from Auguste Lefebvre, the remaining 25 birds are from a mere "Lefebvre" or "Lefèvre". Maybe some (or even all) are from Auguste but there is no way at the moment to be sure of that and because the name "Lefèvre/Lefebvre" is extremely common, the possibility that more than one "Lefèvre/Lefebvre" is involved is to be taken into consideration.
    • In the database of the Baillon collection, I kept the spelling Lefebvre (as per the death record). The reason why I told you that I don’t mind to see it written Lefèvre is just because I know it can be found Lefebvreit does not mean that I would choose the spelling Lefèvre over Lefebvre.
I attach herein [*see below] two examples of Baillon’s label where Lefebvre/Lefèvre is written. One can read:
  • ’squared’ shape pedestal, last line => "m° aug. lefevre" = Monsieur Auguste Lefevre
  • rounded shape pedestal, last line => "m° augte lefebvre" = Monsieur Auguste Lefebvre
[note] Baillon usually does not use too much accents.

Best regards,

Christophe
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[*Posting the quote above, here on BirdForum, has been approved by Christophe Gouraud (in litt.).
He also sent me the following two links;
here and here (with Photos of the above-mentioned labels,
also of each (mounted) bird specimen, with several additional details.]

Thus, and thereby; if Christophe Gouraud and his colleague Laurent Chevrier consider “our guy”, the Taxidermist and Oologist, with various addresses, of residences and taxidermy shops in Paris, to be truly equal of the guy who enriched the Baillon Collection, and then (literally) Ended up in Dieppe, ... who am I to question it ... !?

On my behalf, I will simply have to trust them, and take their word for it (as I'm all unable to argue either way, at least not in a clever and/or meaningful way ;) ). With this said; from what I’ve seen this far, and from the little I understand of all those French texts: he probably is/was.

Note: I haven’t seen anything solid, neither small nor large, not a single thing, that clearly indicates that such couldn’t be the case. Or in short; I think they are correct.

The same trust would also include the most proper way of how to write/spell his Surname/Family name (also in this certain detail, I cannot argue any further than I´ve already done, in my earlier post) ...

Either way, that's about all I can say about Monsieur Lefèvre (alt./or Lefebvre), and "his" sub-adult (or very close to adult, probably 4th year) specimen of the Common/Northern Gannet.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Considering Martin's recent post/update, yesterday, in the old thread Plain-capped Starthroat (here), ... it sure makes one wonder what the two Messieurs Gouraud and Chevrier are up to!? Presumably they are writing ... on something? Hopefully, we can all look forward to yet another Paper, somewhat, somehow dealing with either one, or both, of those fairly unknown French naturalists. Or their work, of course. We'll see ... (fingers crossed).

And by the way;
Merry Christmas!

... the following two links; here and here (with Photos of the above-mentioned labels,
also of each (mounted) bird specimen, with several additional details.]

Mr Gouraud informed me that he apparently had some trouble with the two links to the Baillon collection (above). Both works fine for me (on my laptop). If anyone's having the same problem, just let me know.

Note: Regarding Amédée Lefèvre (1798-1869)one small additional as his wife was honored in Doricha eliza.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Mexican Sheartail Doricha eliza Lesson & de Lattre, 1839
Madame Eliza Lefèvre (DNF) was the was the wife of Dr Amédée Lefèvre (1798–1869), Professor of Zoology at Rochfort (1839).

The Key to Scientific Names
Éliza Lefèvre (fl. 1840) wife of French zoologist Prof. Amédée Lefèvre (Doricha).

But her life dates are still missing.

Amédée Lefèvre d. 12 Dec 1869, Rochefort, here, 220/243.
de son vivant époux d'Elizabeth Hardy, demeurant à Rochefort
"époux" (not "veuf") means in principle that she survived him.

(But I don't find her death in Rochefort in the Tables décennales between this and 1932, hence she may have moved.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back