• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question: New KOWA spotting scopes in Black? (1 Viewer)

Apochromat

ZEISS VICTORY SF 8x42 SWAROVSKI EL 8.5x42 WB NL Pu
Dear All,
a few days ago I spotted a link to an US birding fair video. That video showed the new KOWA neoprene protection for the TSN 883/0 but as well depicted a short sequence of spotting scopes in Black colour (rubber armoring?) and Red labelling from KOWA.

Now I cannot find the link anymore.

Is anybody aware of this?
Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
There is this picture in their FB page (Kowa Outdoor).

Attachments

• 53785417_1060488350803026_8274799428309614592_o.jpg
    53785417_1060488350803026_8274799428309614592_o.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 402
Thanks a lot

Dear Wedejaz,

thanks a lot.

So, also the TSN 883 is now available in Black colour.

Thanks
Michael

Looks like black rubber armoured version of the 883.

Unfortunately, I cannot turn the picture into a 95-100 mm scope no matter how I try.

Kimmo

Out in the field with Paul Hackett.

Attachments

• 55887869_2572376612792372_7009283715360620544_o.jpg
    55887869_2572376612792372_7009283715360620544_o.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 412
Looks like black rubber armoured version of the 883.

Unfortunately, I cannot turn the picture into a 95-100 mm scope no matter how I try.

Kimmo

Presumably the challenge of growing a Fluorite crystal big enough for a 100 mm lens is the pacing item.
Kowa could easily buy a surplus crystal puller from the semiconductor industry, where 6 inch crystals are considered tiny, so there are surely other technical obstacles too expensive to resolve.

Why black I wonder when the last one that colour was c.50 years ago.....a sort of dark grey/black metal body. Was it TS 1?
Their colours have mainly been shades of green, grey, khaki ish in recent years. Perhaps following Zeiss and Leica in black finished Sports Optics. Cannot see Swarovski following.

Last edited:
Not sure if black is a good idea regarding heating effects with optics.
Maybe the scopes are not large enough to be bothered by colour differences.

My custom scopes were mainly blue or grey.

Large photo lenses are often white.

B.

Years ago I noted serious heating effect problems with black polycarbonate scopes. The image was a mess when sun shined on the scope body, corrected easily by having a white T-shirt over it. That scope was a 100 mm Opticron that had fine image quality otherwise.

Kimmo

Years ago I noted serious heating effect problems with black polycarbonate scopes. The image was a mess when sun shined on the scope body, corrected easily by having a white T-shirt over it. That scope was a 100 mm Opticron that had fine image quality otherwise.

Kimmo,

Presumably that was caused by turbulence inside the scope rather than distortion of the scope body, in which case magnesium and aluminium alloy bodies would not be much better than polycarbonate.
I fear that my green 883 would absorb almost as much IR as a black one. I dont like socs but perhaps this is a valid justification for them.

John

Presumably the challenge of growing a Fluorite crystal big enough for a 100 mm lens is the pacing item.
Kowa could easily buy a surplus crystal puller from the semiconductor industry, where 6 inch crystals are considered tiny, so there are surely other technical obstacles too expensive to resolve.

Hi,

I don't think that growing 100mm and above fluorite crystals is a problem - neither does Takahashi (or rather Canon Optron who makes the fluorite elements for them and Kowa):

http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FET-300.php

Although asking for a quote for this one might affect your mental health...

Joachim

Wood is a good material for astro scopes.
Square tubes probably better.

Not sure how well square wooden bodied Kowa scopes would sell.

B.

As Henry Ford once said something like," You can have it any colour you like as long as it's black", about the Model T.

Hi,

I don't think that growing 100mm and above fluorite crystals is a problem - neither does Takahashi (or rather Canon Optron who makes the fluorite elements for them and Kowa):

http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FET-300.php

Although asking for a quote for this one might affect your mental health...

Joachim

Probably the price is driven at least partly by the scappage rate as it seems these crystals are delicate and easily shatter during grinding/polishing.

Lee

Probably the price is driven at least partly by the scappage rate as it seems these crystals are delicate and easily shatter during grinding/polishing.

I have a current Edmund Optics catalogue showing plano-convex calcium fluoride lenses intended for laboratory use. The surface quality is 40-20 and they are available in three diameters, 12,5 mm, 25 mm and 50 mm. The prices are €125, €150 and €395 respectively, somewhat cheaper for larger quantities.

John

Last edited:
I have a current Edmund Optics catalogue showing plano-convex calcium fluoride lenses intended for laboratory use. The surface quality is 40-20 and they are available in three diameters, 12,5 mm, 25 mm and 50 mm. The prices are €125, €150 and €395 respectively, somewhat cheaper for larger quantities.

John

Every home should have one!!!

Lee

Lee

Might be, might not - Canon Optron probably won't tell us.

But you can buy an FC100 for two thousand pounds and that has a 100mm doublet objective with a fluorite back element in it - although at f7.4 it's a bit longish to lug around. But it will certainly beat any spotting scope in optical quality.

Joachim

Dear All,
a few days ago I spotted a link to an US birding fair video. That video showed the new KOWA neoprene protection for the TSN 883/0 but as well depicted a short sequence of spotting scopes in Black colour (rubber armoring?) and Red labelling from KOWA.

Now I cannot find the link anymore.

Is anybody aware of this?
Thanks
Michael

Hi Michael it's the 125th anniversary version...
Kowa has no official announcement yet. When they arrive I will publish them on Binomania.

Attachments

• anniversary.jpg
    anniversary.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back