• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vlasowae (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
vlasowae
V. F. Vlasova (fl. 1930) Russian collector on Wrangel I., Siberia (per Beolens et al., 2014) (subsp. Plectrophenax nivalis).
I don't find the OD here either, but the Vlasova of Wrangel Island in this period was Варвара Феоктистовна Власова (Varvara Feoktistovna Vlasova).
A picture of her: [here].
Her name in full in the same book: [here, 1st § of the page], where the author (Aref Ivanovich Mineev, 1900-1973) also calls her his wife.

Last edited:
OD should be p. 124, 130 of:

Portenko, L. A. (1937). (The birds of Wrangel Island.) Problems of the Arctic 3 : 99-130 (Russian with English summary; see Orn. Mber. 1939 : 94-95).

No idea if this was published in russian. But I am sure you have seen this extract from The Ibis.

• the (Siberian) Snow Bunting ssp. Plectrophenax nivalis vlasowae PORTENKO 1937

Neither I could find the OD itself (Portenko 1937*), but see Portenko's Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island [a k a; Pticy Cukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya], vol. II, (posthumous/edition, dated "1989"), here (alt. here).

Mrs Vlasova is repeatedly mentioned, (mostly) as either, simply "Vlasova" or "V. F. Vlasova" (but even as "V. R. Vlasova" alt. ""V. P. Vlasova", on p.27, resp. p.242, which I assume are mere typos!?).

However, sure, "our" lady ought to be Varvara Feoktistovna Vlasova [Варвара Феоктистовна Власова (no years found)], wife of Aref Ivanovich Mineev (1900–1973), second Director of the newly established settlement on Wrangel Island, with whom she spent four, very close to five, years on Wrangel Island [from what I can tell; from 28th of August 1929 until they left, the 21st of August 1934 (Mineev seems to have remained, officially, in charge of the "Polar Station" until 1 September] ... during that Period she was the only woman on the Island! (all according to here, here and here, all in Russian, and elsewhere, all helped by Google translate ;)).

Her husband ought to have been this guy: Ареф Иванович Минеев, here alt. here, or here (all in Russian), ... and if so, she ("the widow", not mentioned by name) was still around in 1977 ... that is, of course, if Mr Mineev didn't/hadn't remarried.

Maybe of some help, in finding her years/Life span?

Could she possibly be found here?

Another piece (in the puzzle), that might be helpful could be:
Постановлением ЦИК Союза ССР 15 июня 1936 г. А.И. Минеев и В.Ф. Власова были награждены орденом Знак почёта «за выдающиеся заслуги в области исследования и освоения Арктики».
Google Translate:
Decree of the CEC of the USSR on June 15, 1936 A.I. Mineev and V.F. Vlasova was awarded the Order of Honor "for outstanding services in the field of research and development of the Arctic"
[from here]​
She herself apparently (according to here) wrote:
Власова В.Ф. Эскимосы острова Врангеля // Советская Арктика. 1935. № 5. С. 60–65.
Vlasova V.F. Eskimos of Wrangel Island // Soviet Arctic. 1935. No. 5. P. 60–65.

Good luck finding the missing pieces (years)!

Björn (... who doesn't understand any Russian, at all)

*OD: Portenko, L.A [Leonid Aleksandrovich Portenko (1896–1972)]. 1937. Птицы острова Врангеля "Birds of Wrangel Island" (in Russian), was published in Problemy Arktiki ("Arctic Issues", or ditto "Problems", according to some references), No.3 [i.e. ПРОБЛЕМЫ АРКТИКИ №3. Изд-во Главсевморпути. Ленинград 1937], pp. 99–130. The OD itself, of P. n. vlasowae, is allegedly, supposedly found on p.124 (in Russian), alt. on p. 130 (in English).

The closest I got to finding it ... took me here (thus only to the Cover, and List of Content).

Last edited:
OD should be p. 124, 130 of:

No idea if this was published in russian. But I am sure you have seen this extract from The Ibis.
I found it in Google Books, albeit -- of course -- snippets only: https://books.google.com/books?hl=nl&id=hJWSrW7fyL4C&q=vlasowae... A Russian-only version, it seems.
Dedication:
Новую отличаемую мною форму я называю в честь собирательницы врангелевских птиц В. Ф. Власовой.
= "I name the new form distinguished by me in honour of the collector of Wrangelian birds V. F. Vlasova."

Note also "Власова и Минеев" in the second snippet, under Phalaropus fulicarius -- confirming, if it was still necessary, that Portenko's Власова was indeed Mineev's.

Could be that she was born 1905 here (but no final evidence that's her)?
The patronymic (the 'middle name', which always reflects the name of the father in East Slavic naming conventions) is different here -- Varvava Pavlovna (= daughter of Pavel [i.e., Paul]), vs. Varvara Feoktistovna (= daughter of Feoktist [i.e., Theoctistus]).
In principle, a patronymic does not change. (There are exceptions, but they are very rare; normally your father remains the same person for your entire life.) Thus different patronymics should, in the huge majority of cases, indicate different persons.
(This is probably, in fact, a better indication than different last names -- which, for a woman, may indicate the same person before and after a marriage.)

I know nothing new but The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Snow Bunting ssp. Plectrophenax nivalis vlasowae Portenko, 1937
V. F. Vlasova (DNF) lived and collected on Wrangel Islandin the Arctic Ocean for five years during the 1930s,and is mentioned by Portenko (q.v.) in his Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island (1972).

But still her life dates missing (even in the new The Key to Scientific Names)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back