• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York in Feb, Ruffed Grouse etc (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

HI all

In a few weeks, I have got a day free for birding within driving distance of New York. I'd like to try for Ruffed Grouse, American Woodcock and American Tree Sparrow. Is there somewhere where I have a chance of all of these species (or in an adjacent state)? The grouse may be easier where hunting pressure is lower?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

Although their numbers are bouncing back it seems Ruffed Grouse are still a very tough species to find near NYC and surrounding areas. If you're here in early march A. Woodcock would be not too difficult to find and A. Tree Sparrow should be fairly easy whenever you come.

Luke

streatham said:
Hi Alan,

Although their numbers are bouncing back it seems Ruffed Grouse are still a very tough species to find near NYC and surrounding areas. If you're here in early march A. Woodcock would be not too difficult to find and A. Tree Sparrow should be fairly easy whenever you come.

Luke

Thanks - Im a little too early in mid feb but I guess there must be a vague chance of the grouse at least? Any ideas of the best locations close to NYC? A really easy place for American Tree Sparrow close to NYC would also be welcome.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

I haven't seen grouse locally for ages although there always some reported in winter from Litchfield County, Connecticut at the White Memorial Foundation. It's a real stumble onto them kind of bird though. American Tree Sparrow i'd go to almost any coastal grassy area and you'll find them - you may also get them inland. Jones Beach must have some at this time of year. Of course your other option is to do a trip up the hudson river. At the moment you could have a nice jaunt up to Piermont which is just across the Tappen Zee and perhaps get the snowy owl there, go to Croton Point Park (deffo get AT Sparrow - I had 40 plus there last weekend) plus raptors etc.

With RL Grouse and A. Woodcock - there are a few around but none pegged down so at this time of year is just probably going to be pretty tough in the local area.

Luke

lewis20126 said:
Thanks - Im a little too early in mid feb but I guess there must be a vague chance of the grouse at least? Any ideas of the best locations close to NYC? A really easy place for American Tree Sparrow close to NYC would also be welcome.

Cheers

Alan
Hi, Alan,

I think that a good place for American Tree Sparrow would be Central Park, right in New York City! I do not think you could get the grouse and woodcock there though.

BF member, Pinewood, lives in New York and he might be able to give you some hints on areas you might try. You might just send him a PM and see what he has to say.

Good Birding!

Larry Lade said:
Hi, Alan,

I think that a good place for American Tree Sparrow would be Central Park, right in New York City! I do not think you could get the grouse and woodcock there though.

BF member, Pinewood, lives in New York and he might be able to give you some hints on areas you might try. You might just send him a PM and see what he has to say.

Good Birding!

Thanks for all the advice; on my one day yesterday I managed to get superb views of the East Hampton Red-headed pecker, find several roadside groups of American Tree Sparrow (mainly around Montauk) and see loads of nice things - surf scoters, downy & hairy peckers. Couldn't find out if the snowy owls were still around. A few photos attached:

Thanks
Alan

Attachments

• 1-amtreesprog up.JPG
    1-amtreesprog up.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 1-redhead pecker up.JPG
    1-redhead pecker up.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 209
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back