• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

Are you moderator on Bird's forum Phil

You have asked that once and I have given you the answer that you already know. As a major contributer to the most popular single site thread on BF I was trying to give Middleton a friendly suggestion as to how it could best reach out to the birding public of the West Midlands (region, not county ;)). Just continue doing what you are doing and I will stop worrying / caring about Middleton how is projected.

Last edited:
Finch

I have looked at the post on bird I,D Keith has put on another picture of a bird a linnet however Linnet annd Goldfinch mix flock.
People have suggested linnet with no I.D explanation as why.

You have then ignored a key I,D feature in the Collins guide that linnet have a grey bill, as can be seen in Brian's photo. Keith's photo shows a light coloured bill.
Keith has now had input from various birders and it's up to Keith and other birders to make of it what they will.

Regards, John

Would you like to comment on the central tail feathers.

Finch

I have looked at the post on bird I,D Keith has put on another picture of a bird a linnet however Linnet annd Goldfinch mix flock.
People have suggested linnet with no I.D explanation as why.

I have just put on the I.D thread that the bird has a light bill and the Collins guide saying that Linnet has a grey bill.
None of the birders mentioned that, so we will see what these bird experts have to say.

Regards, John

When John said to me before he went on holiday "make sure the forum keeps ticking over" I am not sure he had this in mind! :eek!: Nevertheless he will be impressed by the counts for post and views ;)

Apologises for not posting the stats on average and latest migrant departure dates tonight as promised; I am currently updating them to include data up to and including 2012. Hope to post them tomorrow :t:

Middleton Lakes

From my point of view? Upton is in Worcestershire and not any other county, so the suggestion is pointless.

There are three separate threads for Middleton in three different county forums, which does seem rather confusing. Do you post the same thing in all three? Or post in the relevant county depending where on the reserve a sighting was made?

Oh, I think it's a Linnet by the way. Legs don't look particularly pink or pale (darker than the cable on which it is perched), pale bill is an artefact of the light (but it looks grey to me anyway), buff colouring on flanks doesn't suggest Corn Bunting, no suggestion of coalesced 'splodge' of streaking in the centre of the breast and face/head markings more suggestive of Linnet... IMHO.

I post sightings Warks in Warks forum and Staffs in Staffs forum and general chat on the West midlands, what others do it's up to them i'm not a control freak like Phil Andrews.
I expect you to make a few I.D's on this forum will keep an eyeout. If the Midlands lakes threads are to complicated for you I suggest you don't read them. Stick with Upton Warren.

Middleton lakes

You have asked that once and I have given you the answer that you already know. As a major contributer to the most popular single site thread on BF I was trying to give Middleton a friendly suggestion as to how it could best reach out to the birding public of the West Midlands (region, not county ;)). Just continue doing what you are doing and I will stop worrying / caring about Middleton how is projected.

The west Midlands forum is the the modern West midlands County thought you should know this living in Sutton Coldfield. Who do you pay your council tax to Worcestershire County Council

The west Midlands forum is the the modern West midlands County thought you should know this living in Sutton Coldfield. Who do you pay your council tax to Worcestershire County Council

Working for a West Midlands local authority I know exactly where the boundaries are and therefore that no part of the Middleon Lakes / Dosthill / Drayton Bassett falls within the West Midlands "county" (the boundary at its closest point is about 3.5 miles away?).

However the suggestion I put forward regarding how Middleton Lakes could be best represented on Bird Forum to attract maximum interest from birders in the region is now several months old. Time has moved on; I think we should too?

Getting back to birds on the reserve ...

Little Stint was first recorded at Upton Warren on the 30th September 1967 by Bill Oddie and remains an uncommon passage visitor to the reserve following its long distance migration from its Arctic tundra breeding grounds to winter in sub-Saharan Africa. Most records relate to single juvenile birds observed in September. However a staggering 37 Little Stints were present on the 25th September 1996 by Gordon Greaves and Andy Warr (27 at the Flashes and 10 at the Moors Pool) as part of a large movement that saw over 500 birds in the West Midlands. The next largest flock recorded is 14 birds that were present on the 14th September 1998. Outside these two influx years the only other counts of more than two birds were flocks of three present on the 23rd and 24th September 1985 and the 1st to 3rd September 1986.

Little Stints are very occasionally observed on spring passage during May, such as the bird present on the 27th May 1993 in the company of a Curlew Sandpiper. However the vast majority of records come from their return passage which can stretch between August and October but with a marked peak in occurrence during September (the attached charts has included a degree of guesswork when it comes to interpreting the multiple records of 1996 and 1998). The earliest records were both summer plumaged individuals seen on the 13th May in 1994 and again on the same date in 2002. The latest bird recorded was a juvenile seen on the 1st November 1987.

Special mention needs to be made of the extraordinary events of 1996, repeated on a smaller scale in 1998. The 1996 series of records was part of a national influx in a period which also saw a number of other very high regional counts, such as 103 birds at Blithfield Reservoir and 75 at Draycote Water. The influx began on the 14th September when three birds arrived at the Flashes. With ideal muddy conditions prevalent groups of birds kept arriving and were soon scattered in small flocks across the reserve, moving to the Flashes to roost at night. By the 21st September 21 birds were present but the passage continued. On the 25th a total of 27 birds were counted at the Flashes plus a further ten at the Moors Pool producing a reserve record of 37 birds. This saw the zenith of the influx; the next day saw just 23 birds present and the exodus gathered pace so that by the 1st October just four birds were left. A single bird was present on the 2nd October before it also departed.

In 1998 a single juvenile was present from the 4th September, remaining until the 6th. Four were then present on the 7th September, being joined by further flocks of eight and two during the day. All but two departed overnight, with these remaining until the 9th. A single arrived on the 12th, to be followed by three more the next day. Only one remained on the 14th but this increased to two again on the 15th. One bird was then present on the 16th and 17th. The numbers of Little Stints potentially involved varied from a minimum of 18 to a maximum of 25 birds.

Most birds stay just one or two days but the longest staying identifiable individual was a bird present between the 12th and 27th September 1978. A flock of five birds seen on the 17th June 1976 was earlier observed at Bittell Reservoir but many birds remain untraced. Despite the recent down-turn in records Upton Warren is by far the most frequented site in Worcestershire.

Hi Phil. Just found this gem from you in amongst some other stuff on here. Top work and informative as always. Would have loved to have been there for the influx! :t:

Sorry - what was the question again?

John - all i would say is beware 'soft part' colour and how this is represented on a computer screen jpeg?

Below- is a Funting montage for the terminally bewildered none of them are Verns;) They are not labelled as it should be obvious as to the species.........

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• FuntingMontage.jpg
    FuntingMontage.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 153
Working for a West Midlands local authority I know exactly where the boundaries are and therefore that no part of the Middleon Lakes / Dosthill / Drayton Bassett falls within the West Midlands "county" (the boundary at its closest point is about 3.5 miles away?).

However the suggestion I put forward regarding how Middleton Lakes could be best represented on Bird Forum to attract maximum interest from birders in the region is now several months old. Time has moved on; I think we should too?

John - I'm getting bored of this (as I'm sure others are) but which part of Middleton is in West Midlands county?

Why ask this question then Phil on the forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back