• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opus Editing - A Guide. (1 Viewer)

Since I've also been mucking about with titles, do you think we should agree a standard format (apologies if there is already an instruction about this and I've missed it). I've been using Reserve Name, Ownership if appropriate, (Country) eg Arne RSPB (England).

Anyone think it should be something different?

Helen

P.S. Also, to avoid duplicated effort - I'm currently working my way through the alphabetical list of RSPB reserves adding any omissions and correcting typos, missing links etc. in each entry as I go through. I'm only half way through B so far so I guess this will take a while. Does this conflict with anything anyone else is doing?

Last edited:
I've done Minsmere, Leighton Moss and Fairburn Ings, Helen. But only so far as making sure the birds are hyperlinked and getting rid of obvious errors.

Last edited:
LOL I'm working my way through the Alpha list Helen - half-way through the 'Cs'

But I'm just making the birds all clickable at the moment. So just carry on with what you're doing as far as I'm concerned.

I do think your idea of 'Standardising' the format of the titles is a good one and am happy with what you suggest

D

LOL I'm working my way through the Alpha list Helen - half-way through the 'Cs'

But I'm just making the birds all clickable at the moment. So just carry on with what you're doing as far as I'm concerned.

I do think your idea of 'Standardising' the format of the titles is a good one and am happy with what you suggest

D

Hi, Delia - I'm glad I asked. Shall I start from the opposite end and work backwards - although I've only been editing the full text of the RSPB reserves I have been standardising some of the titles as well. So seems silly to be working on the same sections.

Can anyone tell me how to delete pages - we have 2 entries for Blacktoft Sands - I removed the content of the first one because it wasn't a full entry but can't get rid of the page?

As far as I am aware you can't delete pages...
And as you can't edit the titles...or so it would seem,you have to live with it.
You could try moving the incorrect page to the correct page.

Hi, Delia - I'm glad I asked. Shall I start from the opposite end and work backwards - although I've only been editing the full text of the RSPB reserves I have been standardising some of the titles as well. So seems silly to be working on the same sections.

And there was me thinking you were only doing the RSPB ones:-O (BTW when you get to Killiecrankie it's no longer RSPB, not sure but I think it's National Trust for Scotland now??)

I don't think it really matters Helen - I'm way ahead of you at the moment and you may pick up something I've missed.

There are new entries being added all the time too, I've noticed.

D

Once the Opus Editor accounts have been set up, opus editors will be able to move pages around ('renaming' them). You can probably understand why we didn't want everyone to be able to do it - mayhem could be caused if some 'bad' users signed up.

I'd suggest Reserve Name Owner (Region if Appropriate, Country) as well :)

grr How do I get rid of an incorrect Re-direct pleeease?

D

EDIT: OK it's sorted LOL

We could of course make this the longest thread ever, with people adding the name of the bird, location or equipment that they have edited to this thread!

I have done nearly 300 birds beginning with M.

Shall I list them all ??? :'D

Edit Summaries

Can anyone editing any entry please use the edit summaries.

Some of the recent edits I've seen, just don't seem justified (i.e. deleting large amounts of information without factoring into new sections).

Please use edit summaries to overview what you've changed and more major changes should be discussed via the entry's discussion tag prior to making the changes. Especially in the case of removing entire paragraphs.

Ben,
one thing to do would be a PM to the people you have noticed; did they intend to do what you noticed?

A second question to all of the Birdforum bigwigs would be: are you prepared to ban someone that may be making malicious edits? I should say, I have not noticed the same behavior that Ben refers to, but I would still like to ask in a general sence.

Niels

Ben,
one thing to do would be a PM to the people you have noticed; did they intend to do what you noticed?

A second question to all of the Birdforum bigwigs would be: are you prepared to ban someone that may be making malicious edits? I should say, I have not noticed the same behavior that Ben refers to, but I would still like to ask in a general sence.

Niels
Hi Niels,

I could see some justification in the changes, but it would be a subjective one. As far as I know, editors haven't been appointed yet, so I don't think anyone should be removing large sections of previously-contributed information without discussion. I also think anyone making edits, particularly at this early stage, should certainly be using the edit summaries.

I did consider PM, but I can understand that some users may not be familiar with the discussion and edit summaries idea, so I thought I'd mention it in this thread to promote general awareness without pointing any fingers |=)|

adding photos

When adding photos to an Opus page, do they have to come from the BF Gallery? In the case of species that have not been posted in the Gallery, can we use photos from elsewhere so long as we have the photographer's permission?

Hi Helen

Andy told me that photos had to be taken by members of BF only.

Don't know if that helps you or not?

Thanks, Kits,
I thought that was probably the "rule". :t:

I'll just have to persuade this guy to register on BF and post some of his unusual birds for us.
Helen

Hi Helen

Andy told me that photos had to be taken by members of BF only.

Don't know if that helps you or not?

Sorry, bit late on this. Yep, having photos from non members will devalue what has been achieved in terms of species covered by birdforum members.

cheers,
Andy

When to use italics?

I know that when writing a scientific name with both genus and species names, it should be in italics. Should italics also be used when referring to the genus only?

As in: "Most of the Sunbirds (including this one) of the genus Nectarinia have recently been moved into the genus Cinnyris."

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back