• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How big is your GARDEN/YARD LIST? (1 Viewer)

Mammals? OK here goes.

1. Woodchuck (Groundhog)
2. Opposum
3. Striped Skunk
4. Gray Squirrel
5. Eastern Chipmunk
6. Flying Squirrel
7. White-footed Mouse
8. Raccoon
9. Red Fox
10. White-tailed Deer
11. Big Brown Bat
12. Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
13. Pippistrelle Bat

I want a Black Bear!

Yard mammals in Saint Joseph, Missouri. (Not too exciting, as we live in a small yard in a very "residential" setting.)

1. Fox Squirrel
2. Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
3. Racoon
4. Opossum
5. Mole
6. House Mouse
7. bat [Spp.]
8. shrew [Spp.]

* In my post # 25, I list 133 species. Now checking I see I have 136 species of "yard birds".

Those I have added are:

134. ? [I have to track this one down]
135. Cackling Goose (flyover)
136. Eurasian Collared-Dove

Hi everybody,

After a long absence, finally have a yard again where I can have seed and nectar feeders. Figured I'd revive this thread. I’m now in the mountains about 2 hours north of Los Angeles, close to 6,000 ft., at the foot of Mt. Pinos (ele 8,831 ft), to be more specific. While this isn’t an ideal feeding area as my high-elevation yard in northern Arizona (back deck is 15’ above the ground), it still is managing to attract a few birdies. I think I’ve missed migration – either that or it’s on its way still. Only moved here 3 months ago, and there’s still quite a lot of snow on the mountains, so don’t yet know the natural rhythms of the place. Still, the worst day up here is better than the best day in Los Angeles!!! ;)

Here’s my “new” yard list to date. No lifers yet but am waiting for one of the nearby California Condors to make the list (still not a lifer but what a great bird to log!). Apparently they’ve been known to perch on peoples’ houses around here and leave really big... erm... calling cards. On second thought, hopefully they'll just do a fly-by... :eek!:
  1. Steller’s Jay
  2. Western Scrub-jay
  3. Northern Flicker (red-shafted; found an intergrade yellow/red-shafted roadkill a few weeks back)
  4. Acorn Woodpecker
  5. Pygmy Nuthatch
  6. White-breasted Nuthatch
  7. Mountain Chickadee
  8. California Towhee
  9. Dark-eyed Junco (“Oregon”)
  10. Pine Siskin
  11. California Thrasher
  12. Red-shouldered Hawk
  13. Gambel’s Quail (not supposed to be this far west in Kern County)
  14. Oak Titmouse
  15. Purple Finch
  16. House Finch
  17. Red-tailed Hawk
  18. American Robin
  19. Mourning Dove
  20. Nuttall’s Woodpecker
  21. Cassin’s Finch
  22. Bushtit
  23. California Quail
  24. Red-breasted Sapsucker
  25. Red-winged Blackbird
  26. Brewer’s Blackbird
  27. Townsend’s Solitaire
  28. Yellow-rumped Warbler (“Audubon’s”)
  29. Cooper’s Hawk
  30. European Starling
  31. Great-horned Owl
  32. Band-tailed Pigeon
  33. Sharp-shinned Hawk
  34. Common Raven
  35. Lesser Goldfinch
  36. Mallard
  37. Spotted Towhee
  38. Fox Sparrow
  39. Black-headed Grosbeak
  40. Violet-green Swallow
  41. Rufous Hummingbird
  42. Western Bluebird
  43. Anna’s Hummingbird
  44. Wilson’s Warbler
  45. Northern Mockingbird
  46. Olive-sided Flycatcher
  47. Western Wood-pewee
  48. American Kestrel
  49. American Crow
Yard mammals:

Mule deer (black-tailed)
Western gray squirrel
California ground squirrel
Merriam's chipmunk
(bear and mountain lion have been reported here every year but I haven't seen any yet)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back