• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicilian Swallowtails (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I attach a couple of pictures of Swallowtails seen in Sicily last month.

The upperside appears to be very similar to the pictures I have seen of Corsican Swallowtail, however the underside (admittedly not the best) appears to be wholly consistent with a "normal" swallowtail.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any clarification on what is the situation in Sicily

Attachments

• RSCN9791v.jpg
    RSCN9791v.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN9784v.jpg
    DSCN9784v.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 21
Hi
http://www.eurobutterflies.com/sp/hospiton.php states that hospiton (Corsican Swallowtail) only occurs on Corsica and Sardinia. I've seen somewhat similar 'dark' Swallowtails in Mallorca where they are just machaon. The European Checklist only gives machaon and alexanor for Sicily.

Thanks honeym. Interested to see that dark swallowtails are prevalent elsewhere. I know the points and sites you raised. It is not clear in any on any genetic research and if the dark form is purely a morph or genetically distinct.

By the way huge numbers of swallowtails seen migrating south, together with Plain Tigers, Painted Ladies and Clouded Yellows - often seen to be moving as far as I could see offshore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back