Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

First time in Iceland - help with the basics please!

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 18:37   #1
Den C

First time in Iceland - help with the basics please!

Hi,

I'm hoping to visit Iceland in the spring/summer and would appreciate any help with the following:

1) Best time to visit - I was thinking May/June, but I'd love to hear any thoughts about weather or tourist numbers (does it get busy?).

2) Reykjavik as a base and hiring a car for exploring - Is there plenty to see and visit doing this, or do I need to think about spending time in another part of the country?

3) Are there any must-visits for birds/wildlife/scenery?

I'm also a bit of a wild swimmer and any thoughts on good hot springs to visit would be most welcome too!

Any and all thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Den
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 20:33   #2
James Lowther

Hi Den,
June is excellent time to visit bird wise. Iceland does get a lot of tourists but most stick to the southwest I believe. Worthwhile booking accommodation in advance though.
You will be able to see a lot traveling out from Reykjavik but a lot more if you tour around. Best areas bird wise; myvatn for breeding ducks, divers and gyrfalcon. Latrabjarg for auks including brunnich’s guillemot. Flatey island for both phalarope species.
Whole country is incredibly scenic.
Good luck
James
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 12:23   #3
foresttwitcher

Agree with James, allow yourself enough time to travel both from Reykjavik to the usual tourist sites nearby (which are well worth visiting) and to drive right around the ring road at least; if nothing else for the experience, the scenery and to get away from the other less adventurous visitors. A fantastic island.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Tuesday 1st January 2019, 12:11   #4
Den C

Thanks for the info James.
Old Tuesday 1st January 2019, 12:12   #5
Den C

Thanks for your help Pete.
Old Tuesday 1st January 2019, 12:27   #6
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Den

You'll find quite a lot of information in The Opus. From the main category page for the country, if you scroll down a bit, you'll find links to the 5 main areas of interest to birders. There's also a link to the Birding Iceland site.

A very tempting country!!

May I wish you and your family a very happy 2019.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th January 2019, 13:49   #7
Edward
Umimmak

James and Pete have already covered it but here's my two cents as a local:
1) For birding then late May to early June is definitely the best time but birds are active and easy to see well most of the summer, although the ducks start getting pretty drab from mid-June onwards. The weather is generally more stable in July than earlier on but no guarantees! You don’t come to Iceland for the weather. The weather is also rarely the same throughout the country. Summer 2018 was one of the coldest and wettest on record in Reykjavk but pretty glorious in the North. There has been a huge increase in the number of tourists in recent years, but there is a definite peak in July and August. However, most tourists stick to the same well-trodden path and it’s very easy to find quiet places with no one around. If you want to do the Golden Circle circuit in southern Iceland just accept that you’ll see a lot of tourists. If you go somewhere like the West Fjords (my favourite area probably), you will see far fewer.

2) You can do daytrips from Reykjavk but I’d definitely travel further afield and leave the city behind. As Pete said, you could easily drive the Ring Road and eastern Iceland sees far fewer tourists and is also fabulously scenic.
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 20:09   #8
Johnny1

Go on one of the whale watching trips, even if you're not interested in whales you'll see plenty of sea birds.
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 20:37   #9
dantheman
Bah humbug

Some years ago (time flies!) myself and 2 others did Iceland, think it was May - taking a week or so to do the ring road + a few days extra. We had one day of drizzle in 10 days, and some great birds/random cetaceans from land, Arctic Fox of course.

Worth doing the whole thing - check out trip reports on here and cloudbirder etc.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 14:40   #10
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

Den

I don't think you've said how long you reckon your trip will be, but if it's at least ten days (ideally more) then I'd certainly recommend doing the ring road. Allow at least two days for Mvatn, and a good time for the west coast.

Edward is the expert, get in touch with him (if he doesn't mind the plug).

But, birds aside, it's a fabulous country to visit anyway. Take your cossie, the water's lovely !

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: