• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highlands ID help please... (1 Viewer)

Peaky-B

Hi folks I took this still shot from a short video at Loch Morlich in the Highlands on the 27th January this year, whilst I'm trying to improve my ID'ing skills I think this may be one of two but not 100%. I think it could be a Siskin or a Yellowhammer but not sure...can anyone help please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 177
Habitat is a big clue here as well. Yellowhammer is a bird of open farmland - though they do come into gardens in hard weather. Siskin is a woodland bird.

Habitat is a big clue here as well. Yellowhammer is a bird of open farmland - though they do come into gardens in hard weather. Siskin is a woodland bird.

Apologies I should have mentioned the surrounding area as well. The edge of Loch Morlich is surrounded by Forrest of all types of trees and is situated at the base of Mount Cairngorm.

Thanks very much for your comment ryckfour and for clarifying the open farmland I hadn't realised or considered that (I've a lot to learn) ...many thanks.
Gary

Last edited:
Ditto to Sisikin; a male from the black crown and brightness of the yellow-green :t:

Thanks Nutcracker.....id never seen one before. It was such a bold little bird. I couldn't upload the 7 second video I took of the bird as the file is not compatible, so just took a still on my iPad from the footage. it was such a busy little bird, very active and having read more about the Siskin I undertand this is its nature/ usual behaviour. It was quite the acrobat!
Gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back