• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Advise (1 Viewer)

Hi there
Just joined and I would like to ask which binoculars I should buy for bird watching.

My mates got a pair of 10 x 42 Bushell Nature View (no longer made) which seem very good.

What make and model should I go for? Can anyone please help me out?

Looking to spend about £100 - £150 on a pair and want to get the best I can for my money as a newbie :)

Now should I go for 10x42 or 8x42?

Thanks in advance of your anticipated reply.

Gary

:hi:
Hi Gary,

Welcome to Bird Forum

Forget the 10x42 for the time being. Try either an 8x42 or an 8x32 in the price range you mentioned. They may work for you and you may like them very much with their wider fields of view over the 10x42.

Rule #1 is to try them out first before you buy one -- if possible. This is important!

The 8x42 will probably have longer eye relief and be easier to use for that reason. The 8x32 will probably have shorter eye relief and a wider field of view.

Look into Opticron Binoculars in Great Britain for a selection in your price range and dealers near you.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Gary and welcome to the forum....you've come to the right place. To help narrow down your search, I suggest doing a search on this website and reading "Interviews with Retailers," an excellent five-part series that IMHO would really give you good information on what configurations and brands other birders are buying.
Good luck!
Foss

Welcome to the forum, you'll sure discover lots of help and good advice.
I am no optics expert (and that is one reason my view could be of interest ;)), but I'd say the most important thing before asking for a brand or model is to ask yourself the usual questions what, where, how, etc. There are endless webs with recommendations for choosing binoculars, here are 4 simple ideas for you to think about.
- Where. I know you're looking for an allroundeer binocular, but where will you be using them most likely: marshes (for example, because that's what you get where you live), forests with thick vegetation (this could point you to higher or lower magnification, 6x, 7x, 8x, 10x, etc.) 8x seems to be a nice balance (easy to handhold, stable), but don't underestimate "the power" of 7x (brighter, more stable, greater depth of field). 10x is less desirable in forest situations for the smaller field of view, or if you have shaky hands, and they find their spot if your looking at distant birds (say coastal birds, marshes, etc.).
- How will you be using your binoculars: will you just drive with your car to a RSPB reserve (so you don't mind a bulky/heavy item) or will you most likely do your birdwatching bit while on long treks (low weight is essential). This could be a crucial point to determine the objective size (30, 32, 35, 42) and hence the size and weight. As an example, my first "good" pair of binoculars were a really astonishing 8x42... which I ended up selling because of the bulk and weight. My perfect compromise is 8x32 (or 30 for that matter) because I do most of my birdwatching while on treks. Also, do you plan on using the very early or quite into dusk (this could imply the need of a bigger lens, 42-50), but most people who do casual birdwatching do not like to wake up at 5 AM to catch that very wary little bird. So I'd say x32 is a really good compromise for daylight birding (I know, I know the UK can be pretty gloomy at times).
- Which type of binoculars, porro/roof. Don't know if you've considered this, but on the £100 mark there could be some brilliant porro choices that would outperform its roof rivals, although sometimes being a bit bulkier.
- Used/new. If there is one good piece of advice I would have like to been given some time ago is: don't forget (good-reliable) used binoculars. For £150 you can get a really nice used piece of equipment. The classified area of this forum is not the worst point to start looking for good stuff ;)
I hope these little pointers can help you make up your mind.
As for actual recommendations:
I love my Kowa 8x30 YF. Very light and handy waterproof porros, the clarity and 3D plasticity is something to behold. And they can be had for very little money, even less than your estimate.
(The Bushnell Nature View 10x42 can be found new on ebay for little over £100)

Last edited:
Gazza - Welcome !

I'd keep it pretty simple - England is a pretty dull country! :cat:

It will help folks guide you if you tell them whether you wear glasses or not.

If you are under say ~50 years old I would suggest an 8×42.

If you are over ~ 50 years old I would suggest an 8×32

Forget all the other stuff, these are the easiest formats for beginners to use since they have a definite focus point unlike the 6, and 7× which can leave you spinning your wheels not knowing whether you are Arthur or Martha, yet it is not paper thin like a 10× ..... save that one for when you are older and wiser ;)

Our British friends will be along shortly to recommend specific models within (or just beyond! :) your budget :t:

The most important thing (apart from the basic level of quality and performance) is how they 'fit' to your eyes /hands, and how easy /good you find them to use. Where possible try out several models, and the actual units you will buy.

Chosun :gh:

Gary,

Not sure where in Lancashire you are but you could do a lot worse than pop in to RSPB Leighton Moss or WWT MartinMere In-Focus Shop and talk to the staff there. You will get to have a look at a variety of instruments and talk to people who will guide you through the process. In-Focus could well have some used instruments which were originally priced above your budget which may be better for you than a new £100 - £150 binocular. Good luck with the search.

Gary, just in case it is of any help, right now there is a Kenko Utraview 8x32 (sibling of the well regarded Sightron Blue Sky, you can read many, many, many pages about them in the forum) in the Sale subforum, it is well within your budget and from a forum member in the UK. Maybe worth a look ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back