• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What two new binos would you get if... (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
I have 9x30, 9x63 and 10x44 binoculars, and a drawscope with 30x and 45x eyepieces.

I do not need to upgrade the optics I have, I want to fill the gaps/expand the range.
What two new binoculars would you get?

Something lower powered, such as a 7x42 Ultravid, I think. You've got the higher range pretty well covered.
But as Binastro mentions, it's very particular regarding your own uses/preferences - if you consistently use your binoculars in open spaces, a 7x42 may make less sense than adding, say, a 12x50.

Justin

I have 9x30, 9x63 and 10x44 binoculars, and a drawscope with 30x and 45x eyepieces.

I do not need to upgrade the optics I have, I want to fill the gaps/expand the range.
What two new binoculars would you get?
Your choice of:
1. 7×42: UVHD+, EDGII, or FL
OR, 8×42: NV, SF, HT, or SLC, and
2. 15×50 Canon IS

Chosun :gh:

I have to admit I've been sourcing the SLC 15x56 and Ultravid 7x42, but wanted to consider all options.

There seems a dearth of 7x42 these days. What happened? Everyone on 8x? Will folk be holding 9x as standard in a decade hence?

I am by no means an expert, and my experience is somehow limited, but I'd definitely get a wide angle binocular. A 7x35 in the 9º range. Great (and addictive) panoramic feeling. An inexpensive porro could be a Nikon, and a very reasonable roof the 7x36 Sighmark Solitude (or any clones). I think it's just a pity that the 7x35 format doesn't get more attention. The dof alone would justify the purchase (it is just so convenient not having to touch the focus wheel at all), and then there's the fov. If I had your range and was to buy one, a 7x35 would definitely be on my shortlist (lighter than a 7x42). :)

Thanks for this. It seems the only roof 7x36 in the UK is the Opticron BGA PC classic

Searching did come up with some other interesting 7x
7x42 Kite Ibis ED

7x33 Celestron Granite ED

I have no experience with either of these, assume they are Chinese. I recall trying a zenray (or hawke?) 7x36 a good few years ago that was nice.

Food for thought as they say

The FL 7x42 is no longer available to purchase new that I can see, true?
True, but you could have a look around for a second hand example. The Zeiss FL, Leica UVHD+, and Nikon EDGII (not sure if that is available new either) 7×42's are going to be a class above anything else. The only other way of getting a virtually extra wide field is the 8×42 Zeiss SF.

Compared to those, things like the now defunct Zenray 7x36 barely rate an ugh ! and wouldn't be noticeably appreciably lighter in field use anyway.

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for this. It seems the only roof 7x36 in the UK is the Opticron BGA PC classic

7x42 Kite Ibis ED

I have no experience with either of these, assume they are Chinese. I recall trying a zenray (or hawke?) 7x36 a good few years ago that was nice.

The Opticron Classic 7x36 was discontinued a couple of years ago. Seems few retailers would stock a 7x and sales were very slow. It's a real shame. It's one of my most used binoculars. The Imagic BGA SE 7x42 and the Imagic TGA WP 7x42 went too. They still have the Discovery 7x42 in their line-up. I wasn't tempted, but you can find some more positive reports on the forum. I rather prefer the even more modestly priced Adventure T WP 6.5x32 porro.

I've never been a fan of Celestron's Granite range, (mostly colour and contrast) but the 7x33 specs did seem rather enticing, just not enough to overlook it's other shortcomings.

The Kite Ibis 7x42 is a nice binocular. but I would hope for better ergonomics and a wider FoV for that kind of money.

I have seen the FL, Ultravid HD and EDG 7x42s briefly at different times. The FL didn't tempt me, but the the other two were very nice, just think both would have been even more appealing as a lighter 7x32. I mostly use my 7x for the hedge rows, bramble patches and thorn scrub we have round here. For me It's were a small, light 6x or 7x earns It's keep. Obviously your use will differ.

David

Interesting... The leica UV 7x42 is 770g and the Opticron 7x36 623g.

So the Opticron is older stock and I'm guessing still full price at 400. Worth it, do you think typo?

My use for these two (or possibly three), well, the 7x would be dusk-time doggy walks and hedgerows at work, the 15x for estuary, and then occasional birds out of the office window that fly to a nearby lake.
I'm aware the bins I've got are capable all-rounders; it happens to be a time for me to buy mementos.

l find the lower power and field curvature of the Classic work well for hedgerows. I imagine it would be fine companion for doggy walks. However, I wouldn't consider it a twilight binocular. I would be looking for something with a stronger performance at the blue end of the spectrum and a higher magnification for that.

At the time I bought mine, I think you could reasonably argue there were a good number of technically better specified binoculars around for the £400 asking price. Even now, I'd struggle to think of one that I would enjoy using more on my particular home patch. Your needs might be rather different. The 30 year warranty, if bought new, is rather reassuring.

You normally won't see much variation in the advertised price of Opticrons, but I would be definitely be asking for a deal on a long discontinued model. ;)

David

Last edited:
Yup; and thanks to all who replied. It's going to be a substantial outlay and I want to ensure I get the right kit

Regards
Andy

Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II, and Swarovski 8.5x42 EL are great for birding and butterflying and everything in between.

--AP

Happening across a bargain while Internet browsing in bed at 5am yesterday, I jumped for a new pair of these:

Leica ULTRAVID 7x42 HD-Plus

They'll take a good few days to arrive from Leica, but that's ok, worth it.
Still thinking on the higher magnification, and waiting. Swarovski and Kowa are on my radar.

Andy

Last edited:
The Opticron Classic 7x36 was discontinued a couple of years ago. Seems few retailers would stock a 7x and sales were very slow. It's a real shame. It's one of my most used binoculars. The Imagic BGA SE 7x42 and the Imagic TGA WP 7x42 went too. They still have the Discovery 7x42 in their line-up. I wasn't tempted, but you can find some more positive reports on the forum. I rather prefer the even more modestly priced Adventure T WP 6.5x32 porro.

I've never been a fan of Celestron's Granite range, (mostly colour and contrast) but the 7x33 specs did seem rather enticing, just not enough to overlook it's other shortcomings.

The Kite Ibis 7x42 is a nice binocular. but I would hope for better ergonomics and a wider FoV for that kind of money.

I have seen the FL, Ultravid HD and EDG 7x42s briefly at different times. The FL didn't tempt me, but the the other two were very nice, just think both would have been even more appealing as a lighter 7x32. I mostly use my 7x for the hedge rows, bramble patches and thorn scrub we have round here. For me It's were a small, light 6x or 7x earns It's keep. Obviously your use will differ.

David

The Opticron Discovery 7x42 is decent, especially considering the price. If you want a new 7x that does not break the bank, it's good. My girlfriend uses it as her main pair, she likes the 7x range. The main drawback is it has a narrow AFOV.

I tried the Celestron granite in a 7x42, if I remember right. It was poor. Small sweet spot.

Marc

I recently bought a new Sightmark solitude 7x36 in the UK( Zen EDII clone minus the dielectric coating) for less than £100 pound new on amazon, got lucky with the price but a really impressive binocular with a very enjoyable view.

7x42 Kite Ibis ED

Happening across a bargain while Internet browsing in bed at 5am yesterday, I jumped for a new pair of these:

Leica ULTRAVID 7x42 HD-Plus

They'll take a good few days to arrive from Leica, but that's ok, worth it.
Still thinking on the higher magnification, and waiting. Swarovski and Kowa are on my radar.

Andy

Excellent choice...probably can't beat that one!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back