• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2008 (1 Viewer)

Went to Pulborough Brooks with Clare on Sunday, via the Red-backed Shrike at Shopham Bridge, which was very nice.

Pond-dipping was in progress when we reached the reserve and there was already a male Palmate Newt in a tray, which was excellent value. We had a quickish look at a bunch of dark (and a couple of normal) Fallow Deer in the meadow below the centre, then off down the track to the first ponds, where we found more newts. This time the ID was more of a struggle but Smooth Newt seems to be what the pix show. Pity I can't upload to here with my current set-up.

The Rabbits at Pulborough don't seem to have bounced back from the late summer myxy crash last year yet: there are a few about but not much fresh digging, many overgrown holes and the turf is not generally nibbled short. The accompanying result is that mustelids are not as prominent in the landscape as usual and we didn't get any. The sightings book didn't have any in, as far as I looked back, either.

To our surprise the Spoonbill woke up, which was good, you can get very bored with sleeping Spoonbills. More Fallow Deer were grazing in the shoulder-deep marsh grasses, very picturesque. Clare managed to find one Variable Damselfly at the South end of the loop which was a good effort after scrutinising about a million Azures.

For the afternoon we transferred to Billingshurst Bridge where unfortunately the Scarce Chasers were fully fuelled and rocketing about like crazy. Hairy Dragons were also patrolling and not landing, and a flypast from a Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth was less than fully satisfying. The day was however topped off when I heard a Tawny owlet hissing from the woodland across the canal and on following the sound we found three all lined up on one branch. It was close woodland and getting a really clear line to them was more or less impossible, but we got record shots showing all of them lined up. Cracking.

John

Last minute decision to try the canal last night - shows things can go badly for no real reason.

I arrived at about 2145 to find the fox cubs were out (but there was too much light to even try to sneak up on them even if the path hadn't been baked into crunchy noisiness). In any case having done a reasonable job on foxes last week I wanted more shots of the young Badgers before they grow up, so I took station by the sett.

No luck until about 2250 when two adult Badgers appeared at opposite ends of the sett and one sat for a scratch long enough to be photographed doing it. The other got away.

I suspect the dry weather led them to set out on feeding patrol early - most of the literature suggests this will happen, becaus it will take them longer to get their earthworm ration. So if I'd been there early I might have got daylight shots.

I did have a Red Fox down to about eight feet - it came along the horse paddock hedge behind me but I was cued onto it by the loud insistent thumps of Rabbit alarms.

Other than that calling Tawnies and Little Owls, and one of the latter flying across in front of the car on the way home, were the total for the night.

John

Last night I got to the sett early (about 2030) and staked it out for two hours. In that time I heard Badgers a few times (probably in the field over the top of the bank) but only saw two: one of the youngsters and an adult, who arrived with the young one bouncing about five yards in front of the adult. He paused on the shelf where I get most of my best pix but moved off it into just before the adult joined him. I had taken two shots of the young Badger, with flash, which he ignored completely, but didn't get any of him with the adult. The trouble with that is that the adult gives scale to the juvenile, which on its own tends to look like just another Badger!

Earlier, one of the fox cubs had emerged from the earth and immediately made its way into the main sett area - a dodgy thing to do I should have thought but it seemd quite confident about what it was doing! Unfortunately it turned up the bank and away into the field also before it reached my "studio".

A three-point buck Roe Deer cleaning its antlers on a fence post for five minutes at the top of the far bank was very nice to watch at about 2100. A couple of Bank Voles shuffled and scurried about behind me, and a Common Shrew made repeated use of a fairly clear runway along the base of a couple of oak trees. Potential there for photos if a few mealworms will make it stop for a second or two.

Several bats included one definite Daubenton's performing well over the canal between me and the sett.

Even the owls were mostly quiet last night - a few shouts from the Littles, but total silence from the Tawnies. I still had a fair idea where the latter were from the indignant yelling of the local Blackbirds.

Now that it has rained I hope tonight will be more lively.

John

Ran completely out of energy after a busy weekend - mostly domestic stuff though I did manage 5/6 British native reptiles on Saturday within 10 miles of home - missed Adder of all things.

So last night I didn't get further than the back garden, where two Noctules amused at 2145 while I sank a small glass of Chardonnay.

John

Unusual shot of one of the local mamals for you John, this young Roe was swimming across a pool and decided to come ashore right where I was!

Hope to have a very good mammal weekend this one coming ;)

Attachments

• Roe Deer voke.jpg
    Roe Deer voke.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 80
Unusual shot of one of the local mamals for you John, this young Roe was swimming across a pool and decided to come ashore right where I was!

Hope to have a very good mammal weekend this one coming ;)

Actually Roes seem to swim very readily, some of our local ones make a habit of spending the day on islands in gravel pits and swim ashore at night.

I sense a heavy gripping coming on next week - don't spoil the surprise though. Have a great time this weekend!

John

Jos is going to post some outrageous sighting like red panda or news of lithuania relict leopard population or something next week isn't he?

Well done on 5/6 reptiles John - few things more frustrating than just missing out on a ful set of something. I spent 3/4 of a day a few months ago desperately searching for a merlin after I got all our other raptors before breakfast - no dice!

When I tried the reptiles in a day I also missed Adder but did get two non natives as well so down your way you could get 8 species in a day.

Mark

How about amphibians you have most of them in your area

Mark

I tend to struggle on newts, lack of effort mostly. I'm on 6 amphibians for this year thanks to sheer luck, jamming into pond dipping at Pulborough for instance yielding excellent views of Palmate Newt.

In general this year I am trying to concentrate on things I haven't yet photographed. I promised Marion no listing per se and I have somehow managed to stick to it. Actually one reason has been the steady decline of our transport. We hit rock bottom last week as Maz's car quit on Tuesday evening making us a no-car family. On Thursday I sprained my ankle. Cycling is a bit challenging but I am managing.

Saturday we bought a car but haven't picked it up yet. Friday coming we are due in the North of England for the ashes scattering of my late father, so we are a bit stressed and against the clock just now.

If nothing else goes wrong, once the duty is done we are heading for a few quiet days in Western Scotland. I leave it to you lot to work out where we might be going and what we might be looking for.....

John

here is another for you John. I dont know if its as spectacular as Jos,s though!!

The cat brought this this morning and i thought of you. We are now living at the cottage where we set the traps so this might be one of the ones that got away....lol.
take care
Daf

Attachments

• Johns ov.jpg
    Johns ov.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 87
Well, an eventful week and a pretty successful one.

We put Dad to rest in the place he wanted to be, wild, peaceful and spectacular. my sprained ankle held up on the trek, the weather closed in on the way back.

Next day it was away to Scotland in the new Rover, low mileage, all the bells and whistles - driving once again a pleasure rather than every trip a worried marathon rather like bringing a Lancaster back from Germany on two engines one of which was running hot.

We stopped for a cup of tea at the Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum, rather a long drawn out cuppa as it was an hour before the truly stonking male Scarlet Rosefinch popped out right in front of us for a photo-shoot. Then it was on again through sunshine and showers, down through Glencoe, over the Corran Ferry and over the moors to Lochaline for the ferry to Mull. We saw our first Hooded Crows of the trip on the last leg, then on the boat, across the Sound to Fishnish and off again to Loch na Keal.

Unfortunately I have to report that so far as I can tell the Bearded Seal has definitely gone. We couldn't find any reports of it more recent than two weeks earlier, though the WDCT had helpfully signposted the length of coast where it had mostly been hauling out. We did get terrific views of a pair of adult White-tailed Eagles from the site, one sat in a tree yelping from time to time (and being dive-bombed by a Buzzard) while the other flew around occasionally.

Eventually the Buzzard in turn was beaten up by a Sparrowhawk and serve him right. A little group of Twite flew buzzing down to the seashore and fed for a while but were out of photo-range.

We tried a seal haul-out on the far side of the loch which had about ten Grey Seals of various sizes and both sexes, plus a couple of Commons. There had been suggestions the Beardie was hanging out with them, but still no sign.

By about 2000 the weather was closing in again and we were discouraged. Marion in particular was very tired and binding about where we were going to sleep etc. Pub time. We drove round to Craignure and went into the inn. I asked about rooms and when it turned out they had a double I took it sight unseen, after all I didn't have anything else up my sleeve and camping was looking unattractive (we had got wet enough in Cumbria).

After a pint and some dinner - local mussels for me, I am the only member of the family who can eat them safely and I like to exercise my prerogative occasionally - we took our bags up to the room. Its superiority was evident the moment I looked out of the window and saw a dog Otter in the bay. Another beer and things looked fine.

In the morning we enjoyed a big breakfast and then went in search of Otters. Down beyond the end of the Mull railway we found last night's big dog Otter fishing and bringing his catches ashore on a nice comfy bed of bladder wrack. With a bit of rushing from cover to cover during his dives I got down to twenty yards and finally got some decent pix of an Otter out of the water when he brought his next bit of brekky onto the seaweed covered rocks.

We left him fishing and returned to Loch na Keal where there was again no sign of the Bearded Seal. The haul-out on the South side of the loch had the same individuals as the previous evening though a few extra Commons were in evidence.

By late morning we had seen enough of these particular animals and decided to move over to Ardnamurchan, not least because the forecast had suggested tonight would be the best night for weather and I wanted to get a night drive in. So it was back across the ferry and over the moors to fill up and do a little shopping at Strontian. You think fuel is bad where you are, unleaded was £1.30 a litre in Strontian.

We camped at Resipole, at an excellent camping/caravan site we have used several times before. Go prepared for midges and you will be OK. By the time we had the tent up and had eaten, we were both knackered and with several hours of daylight left we decided to get some sleep.

Marion had warned me she would be grumpy getting up at 2230 and she was true to her word. However I was also true to mine and by 2300 we were in the car and on our way outward along the Ardnamurchan peninsula. It was reasonably dark under the trees, where (presumed) Common Pipistrelles and Natterer's Bats were already active, but in the open it was quite light and I could see we might have to wait for full darkness and spotlight effectiveness. If it got dark at all!

A Field Vole ran across the road in front of us, and a few Red Deer trotted out of our way quite casually. By Cala Darach, the ex-B&B, a Barn Owl was hunting a rushy field. It slammed down into the vegetation and stayed down for a couple of minutes, so I reckon it must have scored.

Thankfully by now the light had finally faded. Broken cloud helped the darkness along, the wind had dropped significantly and it was, thank goodness, dry. It was with some optimism that I parked up in a passing place at the foot of the basin, plugged the spotlight into the cigarette lighter and began scanning the rushes and grasses. I picked up plenty of sheep and quite a few Red Deer, but all fairly close to the road and it wasn't long before I decided to deploy the big spot. This is rechargeable in the car but can't be run directly off it, so it has a limited life in the field.

The extra power makes up for that, and the huge male Wildcat who must have been sneering at the puny thing that wasn't reaching him was well and truly caught out by the beam that stretched halfway across the bowl and nailed him in the open. I picked up his eyeshine on a quick scan and had him lined up in bins in the beam seconds later. He had been trotting down a deer track that cut through the damp rushes, but gave us only a brief clear view before he made off to our right across the floor of the basin, moving quickly. I followed him for about two hundred yards before he must have found some dead ground and vanished completely. Maz was also delighted with the view.

As it was now just after midnight we decided to quit while we were ahead and returned to the campsite, seeing a big Red Fox cub exploring the road on the way. I was pretty pleased with that as well, as I don't often see foxes in Scotland.

The following day we had a lie-in and a leisurely start that included four Harbour Porpoises in Loch Sunart, then went out to the Point. We stopped at Camas nan Geall on the way and had excellent scope views of a pair of Golden Eagles. At one point they alighted together on the hillside opposite and we could see how different they were as individuals, one huge and dark, the other smaller, neater and with a magnificent golden head and nape.

Seawatching from the Point yielded hundreds of Manx Shearwaters but little else of note and certainly no cetaceans. It was fairly windy which doesn't help cetacean watching of course!

We knocked off early as the weather was again deteriorating, had a bit of a party in the car and gave up at 2130 as the weather was by now rubbish. Overnight it got much much worse and by morning the tent was half blown down and everything was getting wet. We decided to quit (only a day early) stuffed the wet things into bin bags and headed South. We scored on the Rosefinch again en route, making it a June and July tick, and reached home at about 2145 on 1st July.

Despite this being the fourth time weather has driven us off Ardnamurchan we are already considering our next trip.

Had it been dryer, there were Otters being seen daily at Resipole (and more between the Natural History Centre at Glenmore and Cala Darach), and Pine Martens behind the wardens' caravan on the camp site. The people were all very helpful and friendly, and invited us to stake the animals out and put jammy squares out for them (due to the weather we ate the peanut butter and jam sandwiches ourselves. Bad luck Pine Martens!)

The Glenmore manager had also had a cat recently, spotlighted in the narrow valley below the basin. Pine Martens were in and around his buildings as well.

Back to normal for a while now.....

John

Last edited:
Well done with the trip. Hopefully I will be going to Ardnamurchan in October but won't hold my breath for a Wildcat

Last edited:
Hi there John,
Another weekend with reasonable mammal highlights - first, popped over the border into Poland where, as well as Fox and Brown Hare, saw a single Elk, plus two Pine Martins (being mobbed by birds), then on my land, saw two Red Deer (second time I've seen them on my and, usually only get Roe Deer).

Amazed this shot came out - I was in dark forest in the evening, it was raining and I had to up the ISO to 1600 and even then could only get 1/60th second and that is handholding a 400 mm lens pointing up into the canopy!

Attachments

• Pine Martin, bielowieza 1.jpg
    Pine Martin, bielowieza 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back