• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a sony setup (1 Viewer)

crimson skies

Hi all,
I am looking for a sony setup, with a DSLR, a high mag lense, (I am thinking of 75 - 300) and a a lense that can do wide images, that doesnt have to have a zoom, just good quality, portrait images, I dont know what these are, and what they are called, or what factors are involved, e.t.c.

for camera, I was thinking a200 or a350, but I have no experience with either, and would love some info on what they are actually like, and any other suggestions!

Tom

Hi,
I have owned a Sony a100, and now own a Sony a300. I can say that the a300 is a good camera, offering more options than than the Canon EOS line of cameras. The articulating screen on the a300 is very useful.

The a300 is a nice "in between" camera when compared to the a200 and a350. The a200, has NO articulating screen, and the a350, at 14 megapixels produces far noisier images than the a300.

If you look at the photos and the accompanying review here you will see that although the a350 has more megapixels, you really need to buy expensive glass to take advantage of it.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A300/outdoor_results.shtml

In the end my recommendation has to be the a300. As far as the lenses go, make sure you get some of the older used Minolta gear, the lenses that Sony makes for it's consumer, non pro grade gear, feels very plasticy, and produces soft images.

For portraiture you might want to go for a 50mm f1.7, lens, so you can use natural light to illuminate your subjects, on the long end for birds a 70-300mm is a decent starter. Just remember, try to find used Minolta versions of everything you buy!

Last edited:
A300 owner here and actually would suggest the A200. I've got plenty of access to partner's 200 and prefer its viewfinder. Mind you now I'm entering time of year when I'm on my knees shooting insects, may revise this in favour of an articulating screen. For lens info, try www.dyxum.com. Carl

I have got the 200 and the 350, the 350 is about to be returned because of a what seems to be a sensor problem, I actually use the 200 most of the time, if a straightforward camera is the requirement I would go for the 200 if you want the tilting screen then go for the 300.

I have done very well with minolta lenses and have the 75 - 300 and the 500 mirror lens, also have sony 55 to 200 which I am impressed with.

Len

Thanks all for the advice, it has been very helpful! I have read up about a first digital DSLR, and the advice there says I need to test each camera, to see if my hands are large enough to use all the buttons without moving etc. I have decided, and am saving up for, the Sony a700, which is more pro then the others in Sony's ranges. however, if this camera 'doesnt feel right', this will mean I will have enough for the sony a200, or a350, with additional lenses o:D

Hi Tom
I have the Sony A700 for over a year now and it is a great camera. I use the Sigma 170-500. Which is a little on the slow side but does the job. I hope to upgrade to the new Sony 70-400 g lens. You can check my web site for shots taken with the A700. I also use the coolpix 8400 and Sony Camcorder for digiscoping and videoscoping.
ATB
Tom

I have two Sony A700s and Sigma 50-500, 17-70mm

Hi,

I use Sony A700 body and Sigma lenses. Good budget priced SLR gear. The Sigma 50-500 is good for the price and you can work with the images and create some amazing pictures. I also have a Sigma 17-70mm that I use frequently also.

These are not the most expensive options but they will give you some fantastic pictures if you work with them.

Until I win the lotto I am using this level equipment. See my photos to see some of their images.

Regards,

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back