• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monk Parakeets (1 Viewer)

I doubt the site will be made public as DEFRA will run round and kill them. It is a small population, go to the well know sites in North and East London to see them.

Mark

I doubt the site will be made public as DEFRA will run round and kill them. It is a small population, go to the well know sites in North and East London to see them.

Mark

Thanks mark
i live in hayes next to southall so it was these i was interested in. ill have a search myself
jim

If you go to Island gardens DLR you will find them in the Millwall park across from the back of the station. Everybody on the island kens fine they are there!!

Mark

If DEFRA try or indeed succede in killing these birds, they can be prosecuted by the RSPCA (not the RSPB), for illegally killing any bird, mammal etc without a licence. It is not, as far as I know, Government policy to collude with bird extermination policies. However there are some who would willingly eliminate any non-British animal , and that could be seen as racist.
As far as DEFRA is concerned, have never forgiven them for the awful and uneccesary suffering they caused to thousands of fit cows/sheep/goats in UK during the last foot and mouth outbreak a few years ago. unbelievable ,-like Auschwitz extermination camps. never again will this happen here.
DEFRA please leave the Parakeets alone in peace, and "buzz off" !

If DEFRA try or indeed succede in killing these birds, they can be prosecuted by the RSPCA (not the RSPB), for illegally killing any bird, mammal etc without a licence.

They did some trial exterminations on the North London population a couple of years ago, hence my hesitance to give out a site to someone with two posts.

Mark

If DEFRA try or indeed succede in killing these birds, they can be prosecuted by the RSPCA (not the RSPB), for illegally killing any bird, mammal etc without a licence.

How come? Along with Corvids, LBB Gulls, Canada Geese, and certain Columbiformes, Monk and Ring necked parakeets are on the 2011 general licence permitting authorised persons to kill them for crop protection or disease prevention reasons. The RSPCA would only become interested if inhumane methods were used.

As far as DEFRA is concerned, have never forgiven them for the awful and uneccesary suffering they caused to thousands of fit cows/sheep/goats in UK during the last foot and mouth outbreak a few years ago. unbelievable ,-like Auschwitz extermination camps. never again will this happen here.
DEFRA please leave the Parakeets alone in peace, and "buzz off" !

Having been envolved with cattle at the time of the 1967 outbreak my worst fear was that if there was another out break animal rights etc would prevent them going in hard and fast and killing herds.

In 2001 this proved to be the case and many thousands of animals were killed. Had they

a) Been notified of the outbreak at the first signs and

b) Slaughtered the naimals on that farm and a small number of farms contiguous with it then much animal and human suffering could have been avoided.

Sadly the next outbreak is likely to be handled even more slowly due to such attitudes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back