• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird photography (1 Viewer)

gibman

I will be spending my family easter holiday around the Tavira area in Portugal. Can somebody advise the nearest area to spend a few hours in the mornings where i may be able to do some bird photography

The salt pans both east and west of Tavira are very good. The eastern ones are accessed from the roundabout near the new hypermarket (I forget its name) and the western ones lie between Tavira and Santa Luzia. I've had hybrid reef heron at the second location on two visits (2009 & 2010).

Also good for gulls, terns (including Caspian), warblers, bluethroat, waders, flamingoes etc. I've only been in winter, so the spring populations will probably be different.

Attachments

• WRE-Little Egret, Tavira, 4 Nov (5)  small copy.jpg
    WRE-Little Egret, Tavira, 4 Nov (5) small copy.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Excellent time to visit. Both saltpan areas are well worth the effort. From the market roundabout just wander along the numerous tracks. Sardinian warbler, zitting cisticola, bee eaters everywhere along with numerous waders. Check shrubs for serin and woodchat shrikes. Head towards the large saltpile in the middle and a few derelict buildings. Often hoopoe around here. Red rumped swallows in with regular swallows and yellow wagtails sp (Iberiae).
Flamingoes, spoonbills, b. w. stilts frequent, too. Also: worth getting the ferry over to the beach Ilha de Tavira. Ferry goes from end of the road signposted Praia 4 Aguas. Ferry goes frequently and only 5 minutes away. Check conifers on the beach path, picnic area and a wander through the dunes should get stone curlew, wheatear and plenty of warblers. Photographically, easy to get excellent shots of many of the birds on the saltpans, just approach with care and they won't be far away.
Have a good trip,
Cheers,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back