• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 vs. Zeiss Victory 8x20 (1 Viewer)

Dialyt

The Definitive Binocular
So the difference in price is around £100. Both are waterproof, but which is the best, and why the difference in price? Anyone got any experience of either or both models?

Also if anyone has any opinions on which is best, 8x20 or 10x25 in compacts, I'd like to hear that too. Mostly want these for backpacking, looking at scenery, scouting out distant potential wild camp sites, birds etc...

Leica's 8x20 is still widely considered clearly the best 8x20 and worth the price difference, I think. Best optics in the most compact package with excellent mechanic quality. An alternative might be the new and larger 8x25 Swaro

Leica's 8x20 is still widely considered clearly the best 8x20 and worth the price difference, I think. Best optics in the most compact package with excellent mechanic quality. An alternative might be the new and larger 8x25 Swaro

I read earlier that the difference between the Leica and Zeiss is body material: aluminium and glass fibre reinforced polyamid respectively. Both have the water-repellent coatings on the lenses. I'd like the higher build quality of the Leica as it will often be in my backpack.

Now my only decision is the magnification. I am swaying towards 10x as when backpacking I am usually, if not always, in open country.

I find 8x20 already on the limit of usability, quite shaky with its light weight. 10x25 is worse, and also the exit pupil is very small. I think you should really try 10x25 ofr a while to be sure it suits you.

I find 8x20 already on the limit of usability, quite shaky with its light weight. 10x25 is worse, and also the exit pupil is very small. I think you should really try 10x25 ofr a while to be sure it suits you.
Interesting. Thanks for that, I will certainly bear it in mind. The 8x is also a bit cheaper and of course more compact.

I never used the Leica Ultravids. I have the Zeiss 8x20 Victory though; and I find it to be very easy to use and find my IPD with it's off set hinge. No fumbling around. I also like it's eye cups.

Bob

I never used the Leica Ultravids. I have the Zeiss 8x20 Victory though; and I find it to be very easy to use and find my IPD with it's off set hinge. No fumbling around. I also like it's eye cups.

Bob

Good point about the hinge - one on Zeiss, two on Leica.

What about durability? Does it matter that the Zeiss is not metal bodied?

The "plastic" or whatever it is made of seems tough enough to me but I never put it to any kind of durability test. I think Zeiss would have tested it out. Zeiss's Victory line of large binoculars had a similar kind of construction covered by rubber and I don't recall any complaints about their durability and those kind of binoculars often are subject to difficult conditions, more so than pocket binoculars are.

If you are going to keep them in your back pack both will be quite safe I am sure. If they are in your shirt pocket you will likely have to fall on them to test them both out and you might suffer more damage than either of them will.;)

Bob

Last edited:
I 've had both. I prefer the view of the Leica by more than a bit, but prefer the off center single hinge of the Zeiss. Were I pulling out my wallet, it would be for the Leica though... and would add if there's a worse idea than a 10x32 bin, it's a 10x25...

I 've had both. I prefer the view of the Leica by more than a bit, but prefer the off center single hinge of the Zeiss. Were I pulling out my wallet, it would be for the Leica though... and would add if there's a worse idea than a 10x32 bin, it's a 10x25...

Interesting. What did you prefer about the Leica view to the Zeiss?

Dialyt,
In our tests of the Zeiss and Leica compacts, the Leica Ultravid came out as the better one, both with regard to optical quality as with regard to handling comfort. Although the design is of course a matter of taste: the design of the Leica Ultravid 8x20 scored best to out taste.
Test results can be found (in Dutch) on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the head: "Verrekijkers" followed by "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken".
Gijs

Dialyt,
In our tests of the Zeiss and Leica compacts, the Leica Ultravid came out as the better one, both with regard to optical quality as with regard to handling comfort. Although the design is of course a matter of taste: the design of the Leica Ultravid 8x20 scored best to out taste.
Test results can be found (in Dutch) on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the head: "Verrekijkers" followed by "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken".
Gijs

As an aside, the Trinovid 8x20 is still available alongside the Ultravid. Considering the Trinovid used to be the top-line, apart from waterproofing, what advantages does the Ultravid have over the Trinovid?

As an aside, the Trinovid 8x20 is still available alongside the Ultravid. Considering the Trinovid used to be the top-line, apart from waterproofing, what advantages does the Ultravid have over the Trinovid?

Better designed hinges for one thing.

The tubes on the Ultravid stop horizontally with each other when extended. Because of this you can keep one tube folded and extend the other one to accommodate your IPD in a manner similar to that of the single hinge Zeiss. The tubes on the Trinovid do not do this, flop up and down and can end up in a "Z" shaped pattern.

Bob

In the Netherlands the prices of the Leica Ultravid 8x20 are dropping. First they were sold almost everywhere for about 650 euro, now some shops sell them for less than 500 euro. One of them even for 449 euro:

http://www.foka.nl/leica-ultravid-8x20-br-zwart

This shop ships abroad. To the UK shipping cost about 18 euro. It's an official Leica dealer.

In the Netherlands the prices of the Leica Ultravid 8x20 are dropping. First they were sold almost everywhere for about 650 euro, now some shops sell them for less than 500 euro. One of them even for 449 euro:

http://www.foka.nl/leica-ultravid-8x20-br-zwart

This shop ships abroad. To the UK shipping cost about 18 euro. It's an official Leica dealer.

Do you work for the shop? ;-)

Is there a valid UK warranty for them provided?

Dialyt,
The 8x20 Ultravid has better optics, a different housing and is an ideal very compact companion for hikers, mountain walkers, theatre use etc. Especially the leather coated 8x20 is a beauty for the eye both to look at as to look through.
Gijs

No I just noticed it and about the warranty I do not know, but you can send the shop an email. They will understand English.

Yes, I did email them just now. That price is very good! I hope they have a warranty.

I never bought something of them, but the shop is a well known internet shop in Holland and gets a good rate in reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back