• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sale Brings Me To Ultravids - 8X20 BL (1 Viewer)

dwever

So with $402 off affections change!

I am no longer strictly a Zeiss guy (HT's and Marine). I've been wanting something for the pocket, and the Ultravids made sense, especially after the user review on this sub-forum.

The leather was intriguing, but optically these are the same as their rubber armored yes?

Glad to be here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.52.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.52.40 AM.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.48.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.48.49 AM.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Yes, and that is one heck of a deal, almost too good to be true. I would verify that this is a reputable seller before I sent them any money. Make sure the binoculars arent used as well, but even if they are, that's still a good price. The binoculars could be gray market too, in which case they won't have a warranty. If the dealer is reputable, let us know who it is (after you put in your order of course).

Yes, and that is one heck of a deal, almost too good to be true. I would verify that this is a reputable seller before I sent them any money. Make sure the binoculars arent used as well, but even if they are, that's still a good price. The binoculars could be gray market too, in which case they won't have a warranty. If the dealer is reputable, let us know who it is (after you put in your order of course).

It is MidwayUSA where I have bought both my Zeiss 7X50 Marine's and 8X42 HT's. When I bought the Zeiss Marine's they were very up front about the fact that they were a factory blemish (I never found the blem). I paid about $1,000 even for the Marines back when they were selling for $1,800ish. I paid almost full retail for the HT's shortly after they were released.

I have used MidwayUSA for years in other outdoor purchases, they are properly warranted with U.S. warranties, and they have a no questions asked return policy which I have used before on some night vision gear.

The second graphic above is my purchase order; the Leica's should arrive at my house tomorrow before end of business as I paid an extra $24 for overnight.

Last edited:
It is MidwayUSA where I have bought both my Zeiss 7X50 Marine's and 8X42 HT's. When I bought the Zeiss Marine's they were very up front about the fact that they were a factory blemish (I never found the blem). I paid about $1,000 even for the Marines back when they were selling for $1,800ish. I paid almost full retail for the HT's shortly after they were released.

I have used MidwayUSA for years in other outdoor purchases, they are properly warranted with U.S. warranties, and they have a no questions asked return policy which I have used before on some night vision gear.

The second graphic above is my purchase order; the Leica's should arrive at my house tomorrow before end of business as I paid an extra $24 for overnight.

Good deal! You will be the proud owner of the best pocket binoculars ever, IMHO.

Last edited:
Yes - MidwayUSA is one of the best internet vendors out there. I've ordered close to $2k of stuff from them over the years. This includes a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 when they had them priced at $229 for a few hours one day. Probably a mistake, but they honored the price.

My 8x20 came in today. Don't care for the very red and very feminine case, but that's a non-issue. I only had a quick glimpse through them as the sun was setting - first impression is that they are *excellent* binoculars. I didn't really need them since I have an 8x25 Swarovski CL-P, but at a price under $400, it was too good to pass. Besides, I never let lack of need stop me from buying an interesting binocular......

Mine arrived over the weekend. I was unlucky, in that I ordered a few days before they dropped the price below $400, so I paid $446. But it's still a good deal. This is the real deal; not gray market, not demo. The Leica USA Passport Warranty card is included.

Thank you dwever for this and thank you peat moss for confirming that it is real Leica USA product. I just now placed an order. Too good to be true to get the 8x20 BR under $400 which is $50 less than the price of BCA Trinovid.

To dwever - Today Midway site lists the leica with free shipping. They probably have hundreds to get rid off :)

My total came out to - Grand Total: $396.02

Yes, from time to time they have these phenomenal deals. I didn't take advantage of the free shipping and had them sent to me overnight for $24.

Midway USA had BNIB Zeiss 10X42 HT's $1,050 off a year or so ago, I didn't jump 'cause I wanted the 8X42 HT's. I'm still kicking myself; at that price reduction I should of just owned both! I also scored my Zeiss Marine's for $800 off at MidwayUSA.

Well they came in today - very nice. Image quality is great, and it is easier to align your eyes than I thought it would be, using them in low-light is surprisingly easy. I would still like a larger exit pupil diameter and believe in binoculars this small an 8X20 ought to be a 6X20. Overall I am overwhelmingly pleased. The red leather case is nice quality, well executed magnetic closure, and hideous in appearance. Liberace would've loved it.

Picture is with my Zeiss Marine 7x50 GA T*

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    680.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I would still like a larger exit pupil diameter and believe in binoculars this small an 8X20 ought to be a 6X20. Overall I am overwhelmingly pleased. The red leather case is nice quality, well executed magnetic closure, and hideous in appearance. Liberace would've loved it.

Picture is with my Zeiss Marine 7x50 GA T*

The pic looks good, but the leather doesn't look as shiny as the picture on the Midway site. Wonders of Photoshop never cease to amaze. You are right - a 6x20 would have been a better option. I'd like to have the 8x25 option which would put it closer to the UV 8x32.

The pic looks good, but the leather doesn't look as shiny as the picture on the Midway site. Wonders of Photoshop never cease to amaze. You are right - a 6x20 would have been a better option. I'd like to have the 8x25 option which would put it closer to the UV 8x32.

Well yeah, my iPhone camera made it and the Zeiss look gray when in real life they are black.

That's really impressive - the Monovids alone sell for close to $500.
I guess Leica must have something new coming down the pipeline.
I just ordered a pair as a wedding present for my cousin, an avid hiker and outdoors person, as is her husband. She had mentioned she wanted binoculars a few months back, and the feminine red case is not a disadvantage. Thanks for the tip!

Just a word of warning - keep them dry, as fungus loves to chew through leather. I haven't had this issue with my own 8x20 BLs, but I did with my Monovid, and I'm sure Alabama is much more humid than San Francisco.

Last edited:
A Sale Brings Me to Ultravids - 8x20 BL

Great handling little bino's and the view is great too.
They can be carried in a pocket and you can easily take them with you compared to the 8x25's.
Having a good binocular in hand is better than having a great binocular unavailable.
They aren't for low light but under reasonable conditions they give great views.
Great price, I can live with the crazy color case.

Art

...Just a word of warning - keep them dry, as fungus loves to chew through leather. I haven't had this issue with my own 8x20 BLs, but I did with my Monovid, and I'm sure Alabama is much more humid than San Francisco.

The leather (if it is actually leather) on the 8x20 BL is so heavily processed it seems like plastic and is very resistant to water and fungus. I have some old optics with natural leather covering, and humidity is indeed an issue. The 8x20 BL I treat the same as any of my rubber/fake-leather covered optics and it still appears to be unaffected by water and humidity after over 10 years of regular use.

--AP

The leather (if it is actually leather) on the 8x20 BL is so heavily processed it seems like plastic and is very resistant to water and fungus. I have some old optics with natural leather covering, and humidity is indeed an issue. The 8x20 BL I treat the same as any of my rubber/fake-leather covered optics and it still appears to be unaffected by water and humidity after over 10 years of regular use.

--AP

Appears to be actual leather heavily treated. The case is certainly nice leather.

I've had mine out in pouring rain and never had a problem, but I will be more careful about letting them dry out in the future. Hot humid weather is when I use my leather Leicas the most. Rubber armor can be uncomfortable to use in the heat, and even some very high end binoculars have rubber armor you can actually smell. Not something you would expect from a multi thousand dollar binocular. Leather armor has been around for centuries because of its obvious benefits. I'm surprised that only Leica offers it on their binoculars. Actually, no I'm not.

Wow, I used them in broad daylight today for the first time and it was stunning. So I went back to the web page and they had dropped down to $370 this morning when I checked at 9:15 and they had eleven in inventory left at that price. So five hours later I went on to order a second pair, the sale units were gone, ouch, and now they are back to $799.

I saw the price at $366 and called Midway asking for a price match/credit as my order is being shipped. Was told that price match was not applicable to clearance items. I thought I'll order another pair and return the other. I hung up and refreshed the screen and the price was $799.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back