• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vagrant Emperor (1 Viewer)

Britseye

I see there's been a few about around the country this past two weeks. I can add one more today, watched hawking along Covean Beach, St Agnes around midday.

Masses moving North along the Moroccan coast on Thursday, could get more up here yet.

John

Thanks, John. Nice to have a first-hand report. We heard the same, was it two springs ago or last spring, can't remember (!) only to have nothing materialise. I only just saw my first last October and this is my second. Like Crimson Speckled moth that we get a bit excited about up here, it's a chastening reminder that both are abundant in the 'right' range.

Had a report of a 'massive dragonfly' from someone in th evillage of Carnkie between Falmouth and Helston today ...

Not sure I'd describe Vagrant Emperor as massive, but I guess that's what it's most likely to be. At least 15 have been reported recently. Amazing to think what a mega-rarity it was just a few years back!

Still one I've yet to see in the UK-could do with one coming further east!

Not sure I'd describe Vagrant Emperor as massive, but I guess that's what it's most likely to be. At least 15 have been reported recently. Amazing to think what a mega-rarity it was just a few years back!

Still one I've yet to see in the UK-could do with one coming further east!

It was seen from a car as they drove through - I'm sure size would have been difficult to gauge but they were impressed. Quite frustrating in a way as I drove down the same road an hour or two later on my way to work too.

Chances must be good this year ...

Was walking around St Agnes this morning with a friend who's just started taking an interest in flying things. As we approached the spot where I saw the VE earlier in the week, I said: "You rarely get insects appearing in the same place twice in succession, moreover I've heard these Vagrant Emperors are not prone to perching much." Two minutes later there it was in the exact same place... and a minute later it perched up for two minutes close-range viewing!" No camera, alas, but isn't it nice to be wrong on two counts like that!

Saw at least 26 today near Campillos in southern Spain- mostly ovipositing pairs. Quite a few Red-veined Darters as well - possibly arrived with the Vagrants.

Attachments

• SX60_2227.jpg
    SX60_2227.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 600D_26956.jpg
    600D_26956.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 65
Lovely photos Paul. Was it last autumn a pair of Vagrant Emperors were seen ovipositing somewhere in Cornwall? Wonder whether there'll be any emergent tenerals? I suspect not but hope so.

Lovely photos Paul. Was it last autumn a pair of Vagrant Emperors were seen ovipositing somewhere in Cornwall? Wonder whether there'll be any emergent tenerals? I suspect not but hope so.

Yes it was. Up to 20 at one site on the Lizard, if I remember? Can't recall exactly which site it was. I seem to recall 4 together at times on the Pool above the seawatching point at Porthgwarra? We had about half a dozen in total on Scilly, though there were other sightings of unidentified plain medium-large Dragonflies in October that presumably related to this species.

Adrian Parr wrote in the fb Migrant Dragonflies group that the furthest north that Vagrant Emperors have successfully bred is Poznan, Poland in the summer of 1995. We need the ones that arrive in spring to attempt to breed rather than the autumn ones.

Yes it was. Up to 20 at one site on the Lizard, if I remember? Can't recall exactly which site it was. I seem to recall 4 together at times on the Pool above the seawatching point at Porthgwarra? We had about half a dozen in total on Scilly, though there were other sightings of unidentified plain medium-large Dragonflies in October that presumably related to this species.

Maybe 5 - 10 years ago there were 4+ at Windmill Farm (presume that's where they were last year too), have a feeling they were spring. Jammed in on and 'found' some despite not really knowing much about dragonflies otherwise.

How long do they usually spend in the nymph stage?

Maybe 5 - 10 years ago there were 4+ at Windmill Farm (presume that's where they were last year too), have a feeling they were spring. Jammed in on and 'found' some despite not really knowing much about dragonflies otherwise.

How long do they usually spend in the nymph stage?

About 100 days - in warm African waters. I'm sure warm shallow pools in the southern UK would be ok.

Are you thinking of the (up to) 4 Southern Migrant Hawker on the pool at PG last year?

No sign of any offspring Vagrant Emperors emerging so far on the Lizard. Don't recall anyone reporting any new arrivals on Lizard either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back