• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egrets in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Well, okay, it may not be much of a rarity for you real birders, but it was a bit of a "wow" moment for me...

There I was last week, on the bank of the Fowey estuary (sheltered, tidal, lots of mud at low water). Saw a couple of bits of white in the reeds opposite. Expecting swans, I got the binoculars out... Wow! Heron-shaped, snow-white, black legs & beak, elegant shape, trailing plumes from back of head. Not having a bird book in my pocket (I said I wasn't a real birder) I recalled wildlife TV programmes from Africa and the Med, and muttered "Egret".

Later observation of the pair in flight showed that they fly with the necks doubled back like herons. Later consultation with a book told me "Little Egret", and that they have yellow feet, which I failed to notice.

A happy memory.

Mary

Well done Mary, but you really must carry 'a bird book in your pocket' next time you are out and about ;)

Little Egrets use to be great rarities years go but they are now a common sight on the south coast and they are starting to spread to other parts of the Uk.Where i come from in the North of England they are now a regular sight at Teeside not in any great numbers.You often see about 4 or 5 birds on a visit to Teeside and they are now wintering in the area.There is a park at Hartlepool with a small lake with trees and you often see 2 or 3 birds coming in roost with Grey Herons.Little Egrets are still rare birds up in Northumberland.But I think the best place to see them on the east coast must be Norfolk where they are a common sight especially at Titchwell and Thornham areas you can see a number of them on the saltmarshes.Be interesting to see what happens to the Little Egrets if we get a real long cold winter .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back