• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need a bicycle - Need suggestions (1 Viewer)

Hi,
yeah I want a hybrid! Just like you describe it. The bike you linked to is more of mountainbike right? YOu got any hybrids to suggest? just as you say, I do want it to be as cheap as possible. I need; a new scope, a tripod, a digiscoping adapter for my swaro scope, a camera, another bin etc etc B :)
Here´s a link to Giant FCR bikes, starting at about 450 euro.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/road/2431/32466/
The Giant website uses the word "hybrid" a bit differently....their "hybrid" section involves only two models, that are actually rather expensive "electric assist" bikes, with an electric motor. (Don´t touch these with a bargepole). The women´s section on the website also has some rather nice bikes, if you want that kind of frame.

Here´s a link to Giant FCR bikes, starting at about 450 euro.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/road/2431/32466/
The Giant website uses the word "hybrid" a bit differently....their "hybrid" section involves only two models, that are actually rather expensive "electric assist" bikes, with an electric motor. (Don´t touch these with a bargepole). The women´s section on the website also has some rather nice bikes, if you want that kind of frame.

Thanks. Is electric hybrids that bad? haha. Don´t want one though but sounds smart, in theory. None of the giants use disc-breaks? isnt that to prefer?

Thanks. Is electric hybrids that bad? haha. Don´t want one though but sounds smart, in theory. None of the giants use disc-breaks? isnt that to prefer?

I confess to being a Neanderthal. I´ve never had a bike with disc-brakes...I reckon, I can repair my own V-brakes, so I´ll stick with those. I may have misled you about the Giant FCR, they seem to have racing-style wheels, which would be too narrow to go "off-road". I said avoid electric-assist because there´s more technology to go wrong, and you can´t repair it yourself. It also adds to the weight of the bike.

yeah, I wont go for electric, I can use to burn some energy from my depots when I am out biking. And I dont need more stuff that can break down then I already own.

However I think I might want racing-style wheels, the primary surface is likely to be asphalt. And I quite like the price of those. I have never owned a bike with disc-brakes either, I just heard that they are quite effective. Thanks for all help btw :)

I confess to being a Neanderthal. I´ve never had a bike with disc-brakes...I reckon, I can repair my own V-brakes, so I´ll stick with those. I may have misled you about the Giant FCR, they seem to have racing-style wheels, which would be too narrow to go "off-road". I said avoid electric-assist because there´s more technology to go wrong, and you can´t repair it yourself. It also adds to the weight of the bike.

wow
really interesting reading all this. Just shows me you lifve in a different world. I used to bke birdwatch ( stopped two years ago lack of puff now motorised bike bird watch with a lovely synergie bike) . Got the bike 2nd hand for £50 7-8 years ago just a 15 gear raleigh hybrid. Rode it thru mud, over tree roots and along roads etc. Nothing ever broke, I added a rack on the back with saddle bags and could also take bag on top of that Could hold enough for a couple of nights single person camping. Now synergie wont take back rack so use backpack but only for lightish loads. Riding with a back pack on is not generally considered a particularly safe option. Putting the luggage on the handlebars is also not the best thing for good weight distribution. Side saddle bags on an overback wheel rack is the ideal and safest solution. Dont ride at any speed with bins or anything else round your neck. If you come off,( and every one does at some time esp. of rough riding) quite apart from wrecking them they could wreck you!

Good points, Angelan! I used to use the "saddle-bag" type bag over the back-carrier, to carry kit including a travelscope and binos. To protect them, I lined the saddle-bags with plastic "Bubble-Wrap" from delivery boxes, which I fixed in place with glue and duct-tape! Just in case I fell off. Never did with the optics on board, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back