• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hunting in Great Meadows NWR! (1 Viewer)

eric s

In case people haven't heard, The Fed’s are thinking of allowing hunting in Great Meadows. This link says it all:

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2003/July/Day-08/i17163.htm

Since I'm quite opposed to this, I'm looking for like-minded people to express their dislike for this option. They are hoping to raise money to then spend on the site. As a frequent visitor to Great Meadows NWR in Concord, I find the facilities fit my needs fine. (Well, ok, more parking might be nice… but I don’t see how it could be done in an way that I would agree with. So I just park on the road and deal.) And it does sound like they are not advocating hunting at that specific location (if "Concord impoundments" refers to the Concord entrance and loop around the water.

Just the concept of hunting in one of the better birding locations in that area offends me greatly.

It was also suggested where I learned about this that you contact your congressman. They will have some influence in this. The notice says that the response time has ended, but this is in fact not true.

Please say something. Please. I truly thing this would hurt this location for birding.

Eric

Well, as opposed as I am to most hunting, I know it's frequently found at NWRs. My favorite place, Muscatatuck in south central Indiana, definitely has a hunting season, although the areas are restricted.

And I certainly can't say that it's hurt the birding, because birding there is usually terrific. Then again, Muscatatuck is 200 miles from me, so my visits there are sporadic and don't give me a consistent view of things during season.

It's definitely a two-edged sword because license fees often support land preservation that benefits more than just hunters.

I certainly support your efforts to stop hunting in Great Meadows -- but knowing that hunting is allowed in many NWRs, and knowing how big the NRA gorilla is, I know how big the task is.

Hunting is actually allowed in some of the places in the network they are talking about (they are considering expanding it there.) I am not fundamentally against hunting (I don't understand it, but I'm not against it.) It wouldn't be worth it financially, but I wouldn't complain if they required a donation to go there (wouldn't pay the salary of the worker collecting.)

But one of the areas they seem to be talking about is 80% birding location. Literally it is a large pond with a causeway through it and the trail then loops around the water. The rest is some land north of there that is forest (probably where they are thinking about adding bow hunting of deer.) If they are talking about adding bird hunting in any area bordering that, I can't see how it would not effect the main area

It just seems like they are trying to add a revenue stream in a way that will take away from its main use.

Eric

Ps. Part of the reason I post it is because there are (as far as I know) no signs about the change actually at the park. It really looks like they are trying to slip this past everyone.

Last edited:
I am from the area and I actualy used to hunt waterfowl when I was younger.I have seen the refuge and some of it's birds. It's a beautifull place.I know they allow hunting at the Plum Island Refuge. But I have never been there. Today my views on hunting waterfowl are a lot different. I halfheatedly believe it should exist....I think the hunting of sea ducks should be stopped and or certain birds should be taken of the "game" list. What's anybody going to do with a merganzer? and I am totaly against the Idea that hunting inside the refuge would be allowed unless it would be used as a tool to thin a deer heard.

Deer hunting is something they list (and I'm not fundamentally against that. Thinning the number of hear in this area isn't a bad idea.) But they also specifically list hunting of ducks. That one I just don't get.

Eric

Bird Hunting..... It is hard for me to understand how sea duck hunting is allowed to go on....in the past historicly sea ducks were hunted for their down..thats all they are good for..and maybe making soap. You can not eat them! There is a wanton waste law here in Massachusetts and thats just what it is. I often wonder where they dump them. As far a ducks like mallards and black ducks and a few other puddle ducks,they can be considered tablefare. However with the shrinking bag limits and ethicle practice of wanton waste it makes no sense to disrupt a mass gathering of waterfowl with the report heard from a birding gun throughout the refuge. I'm sure threir argument is that funds from duck stamps and hunting licences help provide funding for the refuge. It's a double edge sword for me. They have created a well desreved wildlife sanctuary on Stellwagon Bank..A place where I go to enjoy natures bounty..See the whales and dolphins, ocean sunfish and migrating sharks. I also fish. Now there are some poeple that would like to see the area closed to all acts "they" consider damaging to the sanctuary. Fishing being one of them. I do believe it should be protected from ALL comercial interests. They dont allow commercial deer hunting... It's all just so complicated!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back