• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grand Canyon - South Rim (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

Just booked a trip to the South Rim for April.

We will be taking the Grand Canyon Railway.

It's more of a family vacation then a birding trip.

We will be staying two nights in Williams, AZ then one night at the Maswik Lodge on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

That being said what birds can I expect(or hope), to see while we are there?

How about the newly recognized species Juniper Titmouse. Looks exactly like an Oak Titmouse except it might be a new life bird for you.

I believe California Condor's have been reintroduced there for some time.

Jim

I had great fun at the GC and logged about 10-15 life birds, with a good number overall.

First, the big prestige bird there will be the CA Condor. If you spot one, note the number on it (bring bins or a long lens). You can look up the bird's history online.

You can buy a wildlife list for about $1.50 at a visitor's center. This will give a good idea of the birds, and I believe even has the zone they'll be likely to show, since the GC covers a wide spectrum of ecosystems.

I don't have my list handy, but bluebirds, woodpeckers, juncos and mountain chickadees were common. ebird will probably have a better list.

Have fun!

for sure the jackpot is the CA Condor... but with fewer than 160 total in the wild, between the Grand Canyon and the Mountain ranges of Northern CA out there at last count, I am sure it's a long shot at best.

btw... I'm also looking to go up there in April.. is the GC railway doing any kind of special? We usually do the Polar Express and stay at the hotel in Willams for the kids around Christmas, but I've never used them to go to the GC.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back