• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

Will second Francois' illustrations......yummy!
Robert just put 'Francois Desbordes primate illlustrations' into Google Images......

Will second Francois' illustrations......yummy!
Robert just put 'Francois Desbordes primate illlustrations' into Google Images......

Thanks Adam, I should have thought of that right away, of course. But when I finally did it, I only found rather smallish samples. Not the way to be able to judge the quality of an artist's work.

Yeah they are annoyingly small.....but the RT Lemur on the cover comes up a nice size on Amazon! Unfortunately there's no sneak-peek inside available yet.....Lynx really should use the best artists out there.....no excuse really. I know there's a wealth of info in HMW, but the illustrations will put me off spending well over £100 on a book. Maybe I'll find a secondhand one in a few years ;) I'll have to wait and see what the rest of the series shapes up like - a shame really as i quite liked the original artist's stuff in Vols 1 & 2

I`ll agree with Adam and most of others that the Illustrations of Francoise Desbordes are uncomparable. If I`m not wrong the english version is expected to be published in September, but I feel fortunate to own the original french version since 2010.
http://www-sfdp.u-strasbg.fr/docs/bout_15.html
Also absolutely dissapointed from the picture quality at latest HMW ...

Paschalis

Felis bieti is still full species and Andean olingo story seems unresolved. Taxonomy almost equals HMW1( missing Genetta felina split + disputed Olingos)

Described today as Bassaricyon neblina in ZooKeys.

Taxonomic revision of the olingos (Bassaricyon), with description of a new species, the Olinguito

Kristofer M. Helgen, Miguel Pinto, Roland Kays, Lauren Helgen, Mirian Tsuchiya, Aleta Quinn, Don Wilson, Jesus Maldonado

www.pensoft.net/journals/zookeys/ar...th-description-of-a-new-species-the-olinguito

Last edited:
Ah, looks much better! Maybe Lynx do read this thread! ;)
Well, may have to buy the dreaded Vol 3 for completeness' sake...and just not look at the pictures too much (but like Vol 5 of HBW with those horrendous hanging-parrots!)

Been looking forward to the marine mammal volume (shocker I know). Glad the art is quality. Will be interesting to see the taxonomy they follow.

Hah!

I wonder if they will be recognizing some of the more recent splits, such as what has occurred in Sotalia and the Finless Porpoise.

Sousa chinensis has been accepted as full species in 2013. I am curious if HMW4 will accept this split. I am also curious whether the undescribed Sousa species from the Australian waters will also find a mention in this volume. Otherwise we will have to wait until a special volume of HMW will be published which will include all new species.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131029143000.htm

Last edited:
Personally I am not convinced that the authors of the Sousa study didn't jump the gun there. I have no problem believing there are multiple species of humpback dolphin, just not sure it is demonstrated in the paper with the amount of sampling done

This volume look promising even if I do not understand the need to have a separate marine mammals volume which will cover roughly 100 species while all the 2000 rodents species are supposed to be packed in one volume too.

Imagine all the passerines grouped in just 3 HBW.....

I would have put pinnipeds in Volume 1 and Sirenians and Cetacea in Volume 2.

Wow, they are so much better than volume 3.

Rob

Yes the pictures look superb for vol 4; I notice the artist's union going into full swing in the comments but nothing can disguise the fact that the plates for Vol 3 were a huge disappointment to many. Perhaps they could be re-done eventually, in a re-issued edition?

cheers, alan

Yes the pictures look superb for vol 4; I notice the artist's union going into full swing in the comments but nothing can disguise the fact that the plates for Vol 3 were a huge disappointment to many. Perhaps they could be re-done eventually, in a re-issued edition?

cheers, alan

It would be nice. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling ripped off by volume 3.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back