• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going retro (in a way) (1 Viewer)

Texbaz

2007 I replaced a pair of Leica 8x30BA's with a pair of Leupold Pinnacles, didn't quite like those traded those for a pair of Minox HG 8.5X43's. But in the end I just had to have the Leica 8x42BN's. Well the BNs have been great, even with Leica's limited eye relief they actually work well with all my glasses. ( Leica spec says 15.5mm some reviews say 18mm)

Last month, I started looking for another pair of used Leica 8x42BNs but even used they still command a fair amount and most used are truly used. Started thinking back when I bought my Leica 8x42's, I really liked the Nikon Premier LX 8X42's but they were a couple hundred more than the Leica 8x42 BNs at the time (Trinovids were being discontinued). Past month I researched primarily via birdform that the LX were now just Premiers. Started looking at prices they all over the place, some sellers offer refurbished, or new. I found some New for $600.00 which to me is a fair price for probably 10+ year old technology. Monday I should have a New pair of Nikon 8x42 Premiers #7535, can't wait to step back in time, when I take my first view through them.

I attached an image. I find that most folks like to see pictures. When the new binoculars arrive I'll update.B :)

Oh, yeah those Leupold Gold Ring 9x25's are from the mid 80's found out recently they were actually made by Leica (Portugal) even though my old eyes can't really put them to serious use, they are fun to use every now and then.

Current binoculars :

attachment.php

Attachments

• Binocs3e-002.JPG
    Binocs3e-002.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 595
2007 I replaced a pair of Leica 8x30BA's with a pair of Leupold Pinnacles, didn't quite like those traded those for a pair of Minox HG 8.5X43's. But in the end I just had to have the Leica 8x42BN's. Well the BNs have been great, even with Leica's limited eye relief they actually work well with all my glasses. ( Leica spec says 15.5mm some reviews say 18mm)

Last month, I started looking for another pair of used Leica 8x42BNs but even used they still command a fair amount and most used are truly used. Started thinking back when I bought my Leica 8x42's, I really liked the Nikon Premier LX 8X42's but they were a couple hundred more than the Leica 8x42 BNs at the time (Trinovids were being discontinued). Past month I researched primarily via birdform that the LX were now just Premiers. Started looking at prices they all over the place, some sellers offer refurbished, or new. I found some New for $600.00 which to me is a fair price for probably 10+ year old technology. Monday I should have a New pair of Nikon 8x42 Premiers #7535, can't wait to step back in time, when I take my first view through them.

I attached an image. I find that most folks like to see pictures. When the new binoculars arrive I'll update.B :)

Oh, yeah those Leupold Gold Ring 9x25's are from the mid 80's found out recently they were actually made by Leica (Portugal) even though my old eyes can't really put them to serious use, they are fun to use every now and then.

Current binoculars :

attachment.php
Those Leica BN's have something magical about them don't they? I love my 8x32 BN's. The design, the materials they are made of. They are just more than the sum of their parts. I would take an older alpha over the newer Chinese POS's anyday even with their ED glass and dielectric prism coatings.

I've had my 8x42 BA's since they first appeared in the UK (20+ years ago now). Although cosmetically they are a bit battered they've never let me down no matter what the conditions. Although more 'advanced' bins are on the market I'm not thinking about getting an upgrade. Superb bins.

Chris

Those Leica BN's have something magical about them don't they? I love my 8x32 BN's. The design, the materials they are made of. They are just more than the sum of their parts. I would take an older alpha over the newer Chinese POS's anyday even with their ED glass and dielectric prism coatings.

"They are just more than the sum of their parts"
your words are spot on.:t:

Denco, I have also looked at the Zeiss conquest, and the Vortex Razor (2012), to name just a few and they just didn't do it for me. trying to stay below 800-1000, I guess back when the Trinovids were being developed their was a different mind set. Those German engineers probably had a budget but I think they focused on, what was the best to incorporate during that time period. I'll probably never sell these Leica 8x42's plus I have the Leica Life time Passport warranty, (since I am the original owner) what a deal:t:

Probably one reason for buying the Nikon Premiers was the eye relief spec pretty ample and most user comments are always positive with a discrepancy on occasion CA, rolling ball but they still get good marks and the price point. yes, I hate it they are made in china from what understand

I've had my 8x42 BA's since they first appeared in the UK (20+ years ago now). Although cosmetically they are a bit battered they've never let me down no matter what the conditions. Although more 'advanced' bins are on the market I'm not thinking about getting an upgrade. Superb bins.

Chris

Their are few things in life we attach are selves too for 20+ years. Bravo B :)
Binoculars are one of them.:king:

:-O No way, Japan it is!
They are beautiful binoculars. I like the Trinovid's better than the Ultravids. I got my Leica 8x32 BN's from a guy in Conneticut who never used them and they are like new and the focus is actually pretty easy for Leica. The Zeiss Conquest 8x30 cordura case let's me carry them on my belt and it has a snap open attachment so you don't have to take your belt off. Works perfect for the Trinovids. Trinovids don't give up much to the new alphas either. I am always wowed when I use them.

Well I know its the internet and you can't believe anything on the net but if you read the spec's in this auction that where I gleaned it from.B :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Premier-8x42-Binoculars-Demo-/370578654517?pt=Binocular&hash=item5648358535

Strange, I looked up their website and found nothing similar there.
I think this is the first time I have read this about the Premier, but of course it can't be totally excluded that the chassis is made in PRC.
Anyhow, it is very difficult to find out everything about every single part of a complicated product like a binocular.

Congratulations to you for buying the Premier! I believe it should match or overtrump the Trinovid in most aspects. The most prominent feature would be the edge to edge sharpness.
Its quality feel, smooth focuser and beautiful colour contrast will make you addicted!

//L

Strange, I looked up their website and found nothing similar there.
I think this is the first time I have read this about the Premier, but of course it can't be totally excluded that the chassis is made in PRC.
Anyhow, it is very difficult to find out everything about every single part of a complicated product like a binocular.

Congratulations to you for buying the Premier! I believe it should match or overtrump the Trinovid in most aspects. The most prominent feature would be the edge to edge sharpness.
Its quality feel, smooth focuser and beautiful colour contrast will make you addicted!//L

looksharp65, Thanks. Their is no telling where Kenmore got that info. I just remember seeing it. I didn't actually purchase from them just one of the many selling. I have read that the Monarch series is made in China, So their is no reason why Nikon would not contract parts manufacturing to Chinese vendors for other Nikon binoculars then assemble in Japan.

"Its quality feel, smooth focuser and beautiful colour contrast will make you addicted!"

Looksharp65, I seem to remember those attributes from way back, I just hope I get more room. As an eyeglass wearer with the Leicas I feel like im kinda cramped with my view just hoping for a great View with some room to spare. with 20mm of eye relief I should be good to go.:t:

"smooth focuser"

Yup, another fine aspect don't get me wrong Leica has a very robust focus mechanism for the trinovids, maybe to robust but supposedly their bearing surfaces require no lubrication and that is why they function basically the same in all temp ranges. I do like the smooth focus of the Nikon can't wait.

Texbaz,
These things have their charms, don't they? Even their flaws can be interpreted as "character"! I loved well an 8x42 BA a few years back, and use a 12x50 BN even yet, so will root for the Leica. Looking forward to the battle of the oldies.
Ron

Received a Box via UPS, on time. Opened up found a Nikon box with fairly scuffed up Nikon 8x42 Premier box. Binoculars inside, were in the black leather, magnetic closure case. Binoculars look ok. I suspect though their description said NEW and the seller said New in an email he probably should have said New OLD stock. Serial Number 1004XX seems pretty low for latest production.
Anyway, Binoculars seem OK. as far as backups for my Leica BN's they are great very similar. Eye relief is great, build is a little on the week side in my opinion. Focus is very smooth, with a very small area that has a little more resistance noticed but by no means stiff. CA is alive and noticeably their, but I compared it to the BN's and to honest just a little more prominent with the Premier.
Rubber armor seems too rubbery but certainly functional. Strap is very shoddy for Binoculars at this price point same with the case. Optically, to this end users eye's they seem OK (Ive had a few very minor headaches which I attribute to the adjusting and constant focusing I've been doing.) Just for reassurance I did call Nikon asked what I needed to do if I ever have to send them in, not a bad conversation just transferred 3 times which is strange but they did answer my question. For the price I paid they'll do just fine they offer a very crisp view with good color and good depth of field. Someday I might have to step up to glass with more modern attributes until then, these will be just fine
Oh yeah, They are made in Japan,the case is made in China.

Nikon8x42PremierBRESized.jpg

Nikon8x42PremierARESized.jpg

Last edited:
Received a Box via UPS, on time. Opened up found a Nikon box with fairly scuffed up Nikon 8x42 Premier box. Binoculars inside, were in the black leather, magnetic closure case. Binoculars look ok. I suspect though their description said NEW and the seller said New in an email he probably should have said New OLD stock. Serial Number 1004XX seems pretty low for latest production.
Anyway, Binoculars seem OK. as far as backups for my Leica BN's they are great very similar. Eye relief is great, build is a little on the week side in my opinion. Focus is very smooth, with a very small area that has a little more resistance noticed but by no means stiff. CA is alive and noticeably their, but I compared it to the BN's and to honest just a little more prominent with the Premier.
Rubber armor seems too rubbery but certainly functional. Strap is very shoddy for Binoculars at this price point same with the case. Optically, to this end users eye's they seem OK (Ive had a few very minor headaches which I attribute to the adjusting and constant focusing I've been doing.) Just for reassurance I did call Nikon asked what I needed to do if I ever have to send them in, not a bad conversation just transferred 3 times which is strange but they did answer my question. For the price I paid they'll do just fine they offer a very crisp view with good color and good depth of field. Someday I might have to step up to glass with more modern attributes until then, these will be just fine

View attachment 414080

View attachment 414081

It sounds like you like your Trinovids better. I had the Premiers but I always preferred the Trinovids. Sometimes on EBay the seller has a different of idea of what new is than you do.

It sounds like you like your Trinovids better. I had the Premiers but I always preferred the Trinovids. Sometimes on EBay the seller has a different of idea of what new is than you do.

Denco, Yes I do like the Trinovids, better construction,(Leica armor A+) better ergos. Nikon has the focus mechanism smoothness by far. The eye relief for the Premier is very comfortable. Just seems Nikon could do better overall at the actual price point they sell for New.

Lots of love here for the Trinovids. Just curious, what is everyone's opinion on the original Ultravids vs the Trinovids? If someone, was in the market for a used Leica what would you recommend?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back