• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Eyepieces Have You Used In The Pentax 65 ED II (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi everyone , Iam trying to gather a list of all the eyepieces that will work(focus properly) in the Pentax 65ED II spotting scope. If you have or had owned this scope I would like to know what eyepieces you have used. Thanks .... gwen

Gwen
Baader Hyperion 13 mm fine
WO 7 - 22 Zoom - wouldn't reach infinity focus
Celestron Plossl 22 mm fine
Astro Engineering 7 - 24mm zoom - fine
In principle any 1.25 inch fixed should work, but zooms seem a bit more problematic.

oh and Pextax XW13 mm and the Pentax SMC zoom work fine!

I have the angled model and use a Meade 5000 26mm plössl and a Baader Hyperion 13mm. 15 and 30x are very good magnifications for this spottingscope. Both these eyepieces work great with eyeglasses on.
Apart from that I found that even Baader Hyperion 8mm(49x) provides a decent image quality so I may use it when it becomes brighter at daytime.
I like this spottingscope so much I consider to get also the straight option. And think it should work good on a monopod, anyone with experience of that?

I have the angled model and use a Meade 5000 26mm plössl and a Baader Hyperion 13mm. 15 and 30x are very good magnifications for this spottingscope. Both these eyepieces work great with eyeglasses on.
Apart from that I found that even Baader Hyperion 8mm(49x) provides a decent image quality so I may use it when it becomes brighter at daytime.
I like this spottingscope so much I consider to get also the straight option. And think it should work good on a monopod, anyone with experience of that?
I use my angled version of the Pentax 65 EDII as a go to spotter now only on a monopod .... with the Pentax XW20 eyepiece. The XW20 eyepiece used with this scope on a monopod provides a very comfortable/steady view. ... gwen

I use my angled version of the Pentax 65 EDII as a go to spotter now only on a monopod .... with the Pentax XW20 eyepiece. The XW20 eyepiece used with this scope on a monopod provides a very comfortable/steady view. ... gwen

Thanks Gwen,

I think I could use my angled model with a monopod, but there are some cases where a straight version is better for aiming and following moving objects, so therefore I thought a straight can be better for some situations.
Also I would like to try out panning the night sky lying in a chair with a scope on a monopod. It should work, and for this purpose a straight version is really to prefer.

Apart from that I consider tho get another of this scope because we don't know if it soon will be discontinued.

Last edited:
Thanks Gwen,

I think I could use my angled model with a monopod, but there are some cases where a straight version is better for aming and following moving objects, so therefore I thought a straight can be better for some situations.
Also I would like to try out panning the night sky lying in a chair with a scope on a monopod. It should work, and for this purpose a straight version is really to prefer.

Apart from that I consider tho get another of this scope because we don't know if it soon will be discontinued.
I agree, when the next generation of the Pentax PR -65/80 ED spotters finally get here in the states we will probably see deeper discounts on the Pentax PF 65/80 ED scopes. I see Eagle optics has already started to discount the Pentax PF-80 ED with the SMC zoom down to $945. Getting back to the monopod use ... one of the reasons the Pentax 65 is so forgiving while on a monopod is that with the use of certain eyepieces, like the XW20 - eyepiece spec's ....20mm eye relief with a huge eye lens , combined with the large FOV makes any slight movement or vibrations almost unnoticeable because of such a huge sweet spot to eyeball. The Pentax XW20 eyepiece is one sweet eyepiece & I find the cost is worth the view. Soon I will be posting my thoughts of the Pentax XW20 mounted on a Brunton ICON spotting scope when compared to my Kowa 883 with the fixed 25x eyepiece . ...... gwen

Thanks Gwen,

I think I could use my angled model with a monopod, but there are some cases where a straight version is better for aming and following moving objects, so therefore I thought a straight can be better for some situations.

I use my straight Pentax PF 65 ED II on a hide clamp with the XW14, Baader 17 and 21mm eyepieces and love them all because of the large sweet spots and 20mm eye relief. Much prefer the straight version for hides as opposed to my angled Regal F-ED 80. I also used a 13mm Baader but unfortunately it got sold on a Regal F-ED 65 recently.
I have recently bought a monopod for my camera and the little Pentax is great with the 21 and 17mm Baaders on it, very steady and a great view.

Les.

I use my straight Pentax PF 65 ED II on a hide clamp with the XW14, Baader 17 and 21mm eyepieces and love them all because of the large sweet spots and 20mm eye relief. Much prefer the straight version for hides as opposed to my angled Regal F-ED 80. I also used a 13mm Baader but unfortunately it got sold on a Regal F-ED 65 recently.
I have recently bought a monopod for my camera and the little Pentax is great with the 21 and 17mm Baaders on it, very steady and a great view.

Les.
I have always thought that the little Pentax 65 ED straight or angled spotter was one of the most under rated scopes , even at the prices I paid over the last 3-5 yrs. I see their prices come down every year & I will bet that in the not so distant future there will be great deals on these scopes when the Pentax PR 2nd generation come to market here in the states. Its too bad that the rest of the spotter manufactures did not design their scopes like Pentax so we could utilize all the nice eyepieces mentioned here & so many other useable 1.25" eyepieces now on the market today ... gwen

I have always thought that the little Pentax 65 ED straight or angled spotter was one of the most under rated scopes , even at the prices I paid over the last 3-5 yrs. I see their prices come down every year & I will bet that in the not so distant future there will be great deals on these scopes when the Pentax PR 2nd generation come to market here in the states. Its too bad that the rest of the spotter manufactures did not design their scopes like Pentax so we could utilize all the nice eyepieces mentioned here & so many other useable 1.25" eyepieces now on the market today ... gwen

I agree. This is the reason I chosed this spottingscope. Excellent idéa that I can use the same eyepieces with the spottingscope as with the astronomical tube!
Just the fact that I can use every 1,25 inch eyepiece with it is just great!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back