• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List v6.2 (1 Viewer)

...So it's looking like 22 new birds for the world, and 0 for me! What's wrong with these people? Why can't they split the right things? ;)

I lost a Cuckoo-Dove with the Bornean subspecies of Ruddy Cuckoo-Dove becoming a Philippine Cuckoo-Dove :-(

How did you lose one? You still have Philippine Cuckoo-Dove but presumably not the split?

You now have Philippine instead of Ruddy?

A

I find the new Torquoise-throated Barbet range a bit odd, S Thailand but not N Malaysia.

That's pretty localised, so Thailand has a new endemic.

A

How did you lose one? You still have Philippine Cuckoo-Dove but presumably not the split?
You now have Philippine instead of Ruddy?
Presumably, viator had both (Philippine + Ruddy), but now has only Philippine (sensu v6.2)...?
I find the new Torquoise-throated Barbet range a bit odd, S Thailand but not N Malaysia.
That's pretty localised, so Thailand has a new endemic.
It has a very small range for a mainland species (with the extent of occurrence estimated at just 850 km2) – ref BirdLife species factsheet.

Last edited:
Presumably, viator had both (Philippine + Ruddy), but now has only Philippine (sensu v6.2)...?

It has a very small range for a mainland species (with the extent of occurrence estimated at just 850 km2) – ref BirdLife species factsheet.

Isolated mountain / hill species, thanks Richard.

Re IOC v6.2, I'm trying to figure out where Ailuroedus melanotis guttaticollis went, am I being dim? (again)

Andy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Richard, I was doing it simply from the update list rather than the full sheet.

The Update list doesn't mention the other races included with Northern but it does for the others.

Andy

Thanks Richard, I was doing it simply from the update list rather than the full sheet.
The Update list doesn't mention the other races included with Northern but it does for the others.
Andy, I suspect that you're slightly confusing the term 'includes'.

The IOC Species Updates page lists the valid subspecies included within the newly-split species.

But IOC no longer recognises guttaticollis as a valid subspecies – v6.2 follows Irestedt et al in treating guttaticollis as a synonym of jobiensis.
(Perhaps the synonymisation could have been listed under Subspecies Updates for clarity.)

Last edited:
Andy, I suspect that you're slightly confusing the term 'includes'.

The IOC Species Updates page lists the valid subspecies included within the newly-split species.

But IOC no longer recognises guttaticollis as a valid subspecies – v6.2 follows Irestedt et al in treating guttaticollis as a synonym of jobiensis.
(Perhaps the synonymisation could have been listed under Subspecies Updates for clarity.)

Thanks for the clarification Richard,
as I said, I should have used the full spreadsheet instead of the concise list on the website.

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back