• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Arizona and New Mexico (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I am looking for informatiom on birding the southwestern US.
The best time of year and best sites. While I've been birding for a time
it will be my first trip to this area.
Thanks,
David Koehn
koehnfam AT juno.com

Last edited by a moderator:
One special place in New Mexico that I am aware of is Bosque del Apache in the southern part of the state. It is great in fall with the arrival of 10s of thousands of Snow Geese and tons of Sandhill Cranes (and the occasional Whooping Crane). I believe the 1rst of November is when most of these large groups arrive but you can check that. It is an unforgettable trip.

David:
There are a tremendous variety of birds that you can see in New Mexico and Arizona, depending on season and site: mountains, desert, riparian. Climate is variable, too, and can range from bitterly cold to blisteringly hot.

You should check out some of the regular reports that you can find at birdingonthe.net and ebirds.com. Katy Penland provided some info about winter birding in SE Arizona that will give you a sense of where to go. It's available on this site.

I'm terribly partial to Bosque del Apache at any season. It's 100 miles south of Albuquerque, with closeby services for visitors. They are known for the sandhill cranes and snow geese that winter there, but as a wetland along a migratory route, there are so many other birds. Bald and golden eagles winter there, as well as numerous hawks. White pelicans migrate through in spring and late summer. Hummingbirds are resident in summer. Various herons and egrets nest on the refuge and ibis come and go over the course of a year. Unfortunately. the whoopers no longer come to the Bosque - that experiment failed.

If you decide you want the winter experience at the Bosque, you might consider avoiding November and December, when humans tend to overrun the place. Bird numbers are very high in January and early February, but tour groups and photo groups have declined. Weather can be risky at that time - you never know if it's going to be sweater weather or snowstorming!

If you match your birding interests with the seasons and areas, I know you'll have a wonderful experience.
Best wishes.
Ingrid

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back